Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,451 times

Advertisements

Hi, I current live in Louisiana and have accepted a job in Oakland. I'll be moving there this July and need some advice. I'll be working downtown on Webster Street and have been using Craig's List to look at a few places in Downtown/Lake Merritt. Any recommendations?...I'm looking at mainly 1 bedrooms and have set a maximum of about $1200/month. It needs to be within walking distance to a BART or even walking distance to work.

Also, I've considered selling my car before moving there. It's hard for me to imagine not having a car, as mass transportation is a little lackluster around here. My fiancee is the one concerned as she will be joining me in January and will be a teacher.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or help on these issues. Thanks!

-- Jacob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,525 times
You might want to check out www.actransit.com and take a look at their bus map--you may find that a bunch of neighborhoods are options if you don't need to have BART nearby, since most bus routes head to downtown Oakland. If neither of you is commuting by car, you can probably get by without one--there are carsharing services you can join so that you have access to a car if you need one for the odd grocery trip, buying big items, visiting non-transit-accessible friends, etc. It is nice to have one available, though, provided you have a place to keep it that isn't costing you an arm and a leg.

Does your fiancee know where she'll be teaching? If not, you might want to consider getting a sublet for 6 months or so--then you can get to know Oakland and the other nearby cities, and choose a place once you know what her commute will be like and which neighborhoods you like the vibe of. If she's commuting farther afield, for instance, you'll want to live somewhere that's close to the right freeway to avoid spending half your life in traffic (or close to the right BART line, etc.).

For neighborhoods, you might check out the Grand/Lake area (no BART but lots of buses, including one to SF), Uptown, Temescal, and Piedmont Avenue (also no BART but buses, and a commute-hour one to SF), which are all nice, relatively safe areas that are easy (under 15 min on transit) commutes to downtown. Old Oakland is another option--lots of nightlife though still an emerging neighborhood. There are also newer apartment buildings along Lake Merritt on the downtown side.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 AM

105 posts, read 331,345 times
I would highly suggest the Lake Merritt area around Grand Ave. There are many nice apartments around the cross streets Grand and Perkins. I believe you would have a 30 min more or less walk to work or a very short bus ride. Everything is in walking distance. Very convinient and safe location.

If you don't have a parking garage, it can be very difficult to find parking on the street if you come home in the evening. Plus there has been an on going petty crime of car window bashing.

I found my apt on craigslist. After a few times of my car window getting bashed and paying over $300 worth of parking tickets on street cleaning days, I got so sick of it. I signed up to get a parking space in the garage. Its $50 a month. The management pays for gas and water. I only pay electricity. My 1 bedroom is $871 including the $50 parking fee. If you have other questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Obviously you can get around without a car, transit in Oakland is better than decent, but a car works in Oakland where it doesnt in SF, where having a car can get in the way.

The Lake Merritt Area around Grand Avenue is a nice area. I'd also look at the Dimond District and Laurel District.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Lake Merritt

Don't sell the car just yet.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM

37 posts, read 211,871 times
That sounds like a nice area but Oakland might be a little different from Loui. There is lots of crime in different parts of Oakland so always be safe and alert

Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAHIDA View Post
That sounds like a nice area but Oakland might be a little different from Loui. There is lots of crime in different parts of Oakland so always be safe and alert
Many Cities in Louisiana are much worse than Oakland in terms of crime Especially New Orleans, Shreveport etc

Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Lake Merritt

Don't sell the car just yet.
I agree with both of these comments.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 AM

11 posts, read 57,372 times
I agree with Zahida's comment. Some places are really rough. Stay alert. Stay safe. I also agree that there are hard places in Louisiana too. But just try and stay safe.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 AM

5 posts, read 104,748 times
do not sell your car i repeat do not sell your car. oakland and the whole east bay have bad transportion. and the lake merrit area above lake park is really nice but below becomes kinda shady but is nothing compared to like bushrod park or deep east oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland