Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 05:24 PM

7,780 posts, read 4,073,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
How about a soccer stadium?
No doubt there will be limited parking and the city will expect people to take BART, which no one wants to do anymore. And the quality and number of jobs it will create is iffy. But it will bring people in and if the city promises to keep the homeless in check it might actually help the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2024, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 28,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Just how much more development do you suggest we need?

Personally, I’m voting for more parks.
I suggest starting with those residents who are presently without housing.

Source: https://calmatters.org/housing/homel...me-count-2024/

"The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which requires the counts every other year, compiles the data from across the country into an annual report submitted to Congress. Last year, the department tallied 181,399 unhoused Californians — 28% of the nation’s total homeless population. That’s up nearly 40% from five years ago."

"Experts agree the real number is higher than the count."

This cost of construction figure is out-of-date now, but the last time I looked the estimate was somewhere between $200,000 to $250,000 to build each unit in a multi-unit building out in the Central Valley. These projected units would house 1-2 persons each.

Doing the math while using median values and 180,000 homeless people requiring housing, that's a $27 billion price tag for construction alone. City and county charges for schools, roads, water and sewer, and other upcharges would likely add another 1/3 to the overall cost of housing the state's homeless population. Then comes the cost of maintaining people who are unable to maintain themselves in the present environment. This in a state once again facing the bust of a nearly $100 billion budget shortfall after enjoying yet another burst of boom years.

No wonder so many Californians find parks to be a more salubrious approach to living in a state with such a remarkably long list of expensive issues. As a former grade-school-through-retirement resident of the City whose joint income was well into six figures by the mid-80s, had we stayed, I probably would have opted for parks, too.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

418 posts, read 458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Looking at downtown Denver these days, I can believe it.
Downtown, yea. It's no doubt seen better days, and the never-ending construction along 16th St Mall doesn't help.

But just a mile or so away, it's BOOMTOWN, USA. LoDo, RiNo, HiLo and Highlands... crowds, youth, yups and their pups, building galore, mushrooming businesses/eateries/bars, condos, apartments, townhouses... growth on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland