Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:26 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If my wife and I decide to stay to be close to our daughter, we are looking at Rockin. Nice area. Better shopping and eating than Contra Costa, closer to the mountains, still growing. Our current area is dead. Stagnant. It keeps the crowds down, but it also limits business. Who wants to open a new business in an area with no growth? Like you said, Sac is booming.

If someone told me I had to move back to California, and I could live anywhere, I'd decide which things to put the highest priority on and, depending on what among things important to me I decided to prioritize most, I would choose either Rocklin or Tahoe City.

One of my relatives (who would probably be/I'm guessing in your daughter's age range) grew up there. His dad died, and his mom continued to raise him in Rocklin as a single mom SFH homeowner with a good job. I first met him during the summer between HS and his starting a UC school (the family married into our family). A very impressive and mature young man. His mom deserves the credit, but it didn't hurt to have a really good place to grow up. I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. I still think it's a good value, relatively speaking. One of the great things....in a relatively large metro and (what you mentioned) close to the mountains.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-09-2024 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Added second/last paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 12:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

If someone told me I had to move back to California, and I could live anywhere, I'd decide which things to put the highest priority on and, depending on what among things important to me I decided to prioritize most, I would choose either Rocklin or Tahoe City.

One of my relatives (who would probably be/I'm guessing in your daughter's age range) grew up there. His dad died, and his mom continued to raise him in Rocklin as a single mom SFH homeowner with a good job. I first met him during the summer between HS and his starting a UC school (the family married into our family). A very impressive and mature young man. His mom deserves the credit, but it didn't hurt to have a really good place to grow up. I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. I still think it's a good value, relatively speaking. One of the great things....in a relatively large metro and (what you mentioned) close to the mountains.
Rocklin thats pretty far right ? beyond Sacramento

Old 04-09-2024, 01:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I hear you, clovis /fresno is underrated

I used armpit because in comparison with bay area thats what the general impression is
It's all based on perception, and a long history of snootiness from the coastal areas. There may have been some truth to this comparison in the 80s and 90s, but it has long lost its relevance.

Before moving to Boise we lived in Santa Cruz and worked in the Silicon Valley for close to 20 years. I want to be clear that the Bay Area is a great place to live, not interested in trashing places. There are a lot of good reasons to live there, especially if gainfully employed at a company that requires driving to an office M-F. That said, beyond proximity to work and maybe some climate benefits, you don't get much for your dollar in the Bay Area.

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here, and so I apologize, but I personally find most of the wealthy Bay Area enclaves (i.e. those with great schools) underwhelming and uninteresting. Take Lafayette for example... it's a basic town with a small downtown (if you can even call it that), nothing all that special. Atherton is even worse, just a bunch of hidden estates. I'm sure the people are great and an area's wealth confers certain advantages, but it's an awful lot to spend for places that could be confused with any number of suburban areas. More expensive doesn't always mean better.

Sac was on our short list of destinations, but we ended up in Boise because we liked it more for reasons I won't derail this thread with. Either way, we realized that by moving we could have a higher quality of life for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. That's hard to argue with. It means less stress, more time, and room in the budget to do stuff with the family. And that's way more interesting to me than bragging about what zip code I reside in.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:18 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If my wife and I decide to stay to be close to our daughter, we are looking at Rockin. Nice area. Better shopping and eating than Contra Costa, closer to the mountains, still growing. Our current area is dead. Stagnant. It keeps the crowds down, but it also limits business. Who wants to open a new business in an area with no growth? Like you said, Sac is booming.
I have a friend who lives up in Folsom and I like that area. It's a lot of new development with nice housing stock, good schools and shopping/dining options (as you said). It does get a bit hotter there than here in the Bay Area, but at least there's no humidity. I still think the job market in Sac area is somewhat limited, but if you can swing a remote work option or at least hybrid, it might be a possibility.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:14 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Rocklin thats pretty far right ?
At least among people I've encountered, I might say that about Orangevale, but not Rocklin.

Quote:
beyond Sacramento
Yes, just beyond Sacramento.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
It's all based on perception, and a long history of snootiness from the coastal areas. There may have been some truth to this comparison in the 80s and 90s, but it has long lost its relevance.

Before moving to Boise we lived in Santa Cruz and worked in the Silicon Valley for close to 20 years. I want to be clear that the Bay Area is a great place to live, not interested in trashing places. There are a lot of good reasons to live there, especially if gainfully employed at a company that requires driving to an office M-F. That said, beyond proximity to work and maybe some climate benefits, you don't get much for your dollar in the Bay Area.

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here, and so I apologize, but I personally find most of the wealthy Bay Area enclaves (i.e. those with great schools) underwhelming and uninteresting. Take Lafayette for example... it's a basic town with a small downtown (if you can even call it that), nothing all that special. Atherton is even worse, just a bunch of hidden estates. I'm sure the people are great and an area's wealth confers certain advantages, but it's an awful lot to spend for places that could be confused with any number of suburban areas. More expensive doesn't always mean better.

Sac was on our short list of destinations, but we ended up in Boise because we liked it more for reasons I won't derail this thread with. Either way, we realized that by moving we could have a higher quality of life for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. That's hard to argue with. It means less stress, more time, and room in the budget to do stuff with the family. And that's way more interesting to me than bragging about what zip code I reside in.
That’s what I figured. It took me a couple of years to decide but eventually settled for Flovis
Another thing that made me change my mind about Walnut Creek / San Jose ( where my family is ) was that even if I somehow get a house over there, we are going to be house poor forever.
But judging by the responses here, I don’t think I can be anywhere within a two hour radius and expect to be in a good school district on my budget.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
That’s what I figured. It took me a couple of years to decide but eventually settled for Flovis
Another thing that made me change my mind about Walnut Creek / San Jose ( where my family is ) was that even if I somehow get a house over there, we are going to be house poor forever.
But judging by the responses here, I don’t think I can be anywhere within a two hour radius and expect to be in a good school district on my budget.
My wife is a Fresno State alum so I know the area somewhat. Great area. Other than some of the major city centers, it would be difficult for me to differentiate Fresno/Clovis from the urban sprawl that makes up much of the Bay Area.

Maybe there's a hidden little undiscovered pocket of affordable housing with good schools in the Bay Area. Anything is possible, it's a big region. If you find this magical place don't tell anyone until after you buy a house But way more likely is spending a lot more on housing for worse schools and much worse traffic.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
My wife is a Fresno State alum so I know the area somewhat. Great area. Other than some of the major city centers, it would be difficult for me to differentiate Fresno/Clovis from the urban sprawl that makes up much of the Bay Area.

Maybe there's a hidden little undiscovered pocket of affordable housing with good schools in the Bay Area. Anything is possible, it's a big region. If you find this magical place don't tell anyone until after you buy a house But way more likely is spending a lot more on housing for worse schools and much worse traffic.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind

we also get a little flavor of the midwest here esp in clovis so my better half definitely likes that

Old 04-12-2024, 09:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I have a friend who lives up in Folsom and I like that area. It's a lot of new development with nice housing stock, good schools and shopping/dining options (as you said). It does get a bit hotter there than here in the Bay Area, but at least there's no humidity. I still think the job market in Sac area is somewhat limited, but if you can swing a remote work option or at least hybrid, it might be a possibility.
I like Folsom much more than I like Rocklin. Folsom schools are very good and you have SMUD for electricity unlike Rocklin which has PG&E

Old 04-12-2024, 10:22 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Towns with good Schools in Bay Area
Your title caught my attention because I’ve heard from more than one friend Palo Alto ranks at the top of the list relative to academic options, college prep, sports - even mental health resources.

Quote:
What is the most affordable town in Bay Area with good middle and high schools?Rated highly as in 8 to 9 /10 and Affordable home as in a house 3 bed 2 bath is under 600k
That said, you’re wanting two very different things that are in opposition to each other; you’re going to have to give on one or the other or look outside of the Bay Area altogether (and still bend in some way or another).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland