Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 03:05 PM

4,372 posts, read 6,346,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
You can thank Nancy Pelosi.
Because red states excel at development of comprehensive public transportation systems, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2024, 05:37 PM

23,807 posts, read 24,379,810 times
Yes, I’ve been on almost all of these metro systems except Shanghai and Taipei. What impressed me (probably you too) was the safety. While on business trips in these cities, I observed female office workers, students, etc. walk unaccompanied (often late at night, around 10 PM) into these metro stations and take the trains. There was no fear of crime.

That is something we would rarely observe here, even at the nicer BART stations (Lafayette, Rockridge, SFO, West Dublin/Pleasanton, etc.) and never at the “sketchy” locations (Powell, Civic Center, Fruitvale, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Agreed about Tokyo. I also tried the Metro Systems in Osaka, Seoul, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei and Singapore. They were all great in terms of their cleanliness, convenience (stations connecting everywhere virtually within walking distance), frequency and cost.

I know we can't dream of having the population density at a scale that would support this (outside of NYC), but it is really incredible being in an environment where you are not car dependent.

Old 06-03-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Yes, I’ve been on almost all of these metro systems except Shanghai and Taipei. What impressed me (probably you too) was the safety. While on business trips in these cities, I observed female office workers, students, etc. walk unaccompanied (often late at night, around 10 PM) into these metro stations and take the trains. There was no fear of crime.

That is something we would rarely observe here, even at the nicer BART stations (Lafayette, Rockridge, SFO, West Dublin/Pleasanton, etc.) and never at the “sketchy” locations (Powell, Civic Center, Fruitvale, etc.)
There are definite pros and cons of living in a homogenous, East Asian culture. Safety is definitely one of the major pros, given the Confucian ideologies, which permeate into every facet of the culture. Many Americans would not put up with many of the restrictions, where they'd feel like big brother is watching their every move. Others may feel these are small sacrifices to pay for safety and security. It all depends upon your perspective.

Old 06-04-2024, 07:44 AM

7,247 posts, read 9,435,180 times
I actually like Bart. I use it during non-rush hours to quickly go from Concord to the Embarcadero in San Fran. From there I catch an Uber to go wherever.

It beats the heck out of driving across the Bay bridge and trying to find a parking spot in the city.

And I don't need to worry about some creep busting my back window to steal stuff from my car.

Old 06-04-2024, 08:13 AM

24,439 posts, read 27,194,769 times
BART, I think is on par with similar transit systems in the US. Dirty. Outdated. Not on time. No rules/laws enforced. Lots of homeless and crazies. Still better than most major cities in the country, but at the same time, still not an enjoyable experience or something most people would choose to use if they could comfortably afford a car and parking fees.

Old 06-04-2024, 08:54 AM

79,159 posts, read 61,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
To be fair, other subway systems in the US are not great either. If you go to the East Coast, you'll find that the train systems are more extensive, but also tend to be dirty, run down and in some cases, unsafe. I did find the Washington Metro to be better though.

However, if you've ever traveled overseas to Europe or Asia, you'll know that the systems here cannot compare. It would take a complete overhaul of public mindset, taxpayer funding, pride in cleanliness and commitment to taking public transit to make this in any way comparable.
Chicago's CTA and METRA are both really really good.

Old 06-04-2024, 09:05 AM

79,159 posts, read 61,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Zeroed right in on the nut there: the [entitlement] American public’s mindset. ‘We’re the best … so we don’t need to be *public* anything.’ Phbbbt
BART has plenty of money, if you read the complaints it's mainly human excrement and safety issues creating most of the problem.

Check out this article from 2017 for example:

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...d-stereotypes/

For a long time the emphasis has not been on public service or safety.

Old 06-04-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Chicago's CTA and METRA are both really really good.
They're more extensive in terms of routes/coverage. But, I wouldn't call this good by global standards. For example, Metra is good to commute to downtown Chicago but not between suburbs. It is also diesel powered vs electric. Point is, it is good by US standards but the bar is very low.

Old 06-04-2024, 09:31 AM

21,881 posts, read 16,584,953 times
Quote:
BART has plenty of money, if you read the complaints it's mainly human excrement and safety issues creating most of the problem.

Not sure how your response here relates to my comment (that you quoted)?

Old 06-04-2024, 10:38 AM

24,439 posts, read 27,194,769 times
Quote:

Yep, just got back from London recently and our friends there who have been to SF and NYC said the police would never allow what goes on in the US subway stations there. It's really a lack of enforcement that make public transit in the US such an awful experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland