Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 03:54 PM

54 posts, read 29,187 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I try not to be so negative about public transit but wow BART is bad! It has delays everyday, people are late to their jobs all the time, workers lie or are aloof about what train goes where… there are nice people running it don’t get me wrong

The sound is annoying, the seats hurt so badly, I have seen fentanyl ODs on the train with cops and FRs helping them.

The East Bay BART stations are nice though. But SF and daly city stations are AWFUL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2024, 05:28 PM

102,353 posts, read 108,621,782 times
When I ride BART to SF, I get off at Montgomery Station instead of Powell. Or depending on what transit I'm transferring to, I might get off at Embarcadero Station. Those two don't have the same issues as the Powell St. Station. I haven't encountered any scenarios taking that approach.

Old 06-02-2024, 06:57 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,114,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
Seriously. I try not to be so negative about public transit but wow BART is bad! It has delays everyday, people are late to their jobs all the time, workers lie or are aloof about what train goes where… there are nice people running it don’t get me wrong

The sound is annoying, the seats hurt so badly, I have seen fentanyl ODs on the train with cops and FRs helping them.

The East Bay BART stations are nice though. But SF and daly city stations are AWFUL.
It's a reflection of the underlying philosophy that runs the Bay Area:

--BART is run by the labor unions. Under Bay Area ideology, unions can do no wrong, so no one stands up to them or calls them out on corruption / incompetence.

--Same thing with fentanyl addicts. Addicts are victims, therefore the police should enable them, not arrest them or make them go into rehab.

--Police are evil and therefore have less and less authority to enforce basic law and order.

This is what the people of the Bay Area vote for time and time again.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:19 AM

7,874 posts, read 4,145,221 times
BART went downhill after the Oscar Grant shooting in 2009. From that point on, the BART board and BART police took a timid stance to enforcing the law. The situation was not unlike the situation following the BLM riots. City governments, chiefs of police, and prosecutors refused to prosecute criminals.

The criminals are getting everything they ever wanted. Accusations of racism is their shield.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:21 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,330,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's a reflection of the underlying philosophy that runs the Bay Area:

--BART is run by the labor unions. Under Bay Area ideology, unions can do no wrong, so no one stands up to them or calls them out on corruption / incompetence.

--Same thing with fentanyl addicts. Addicts are victims, therefore the police should enable them, not arrest them or make them go into rehab.

--Police are evil and therefore have less and less authority to enforce basic law and order.

This is what the people of the Bay Area vote for time and time again.
To be fair, other subway systems in the US are not great either. If you go to the East Coast, you'll find that the train systems are more extensive, but also tend to be dirty, run down and in some cases, unsafe. I did find the Washington Metro to be better though.

However, if you've ever traveled overseas to Europe or Asia, you'll know that the systems here cannot compare. It would take a complete overhaul of public mindset, taxpayer funding, pride in cleanliness and commitment to taking public transit to make this in any way comparable.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:38 AM

21,847 posts, read 16,537,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
To be fair, other subway systems in the US are not great either. If you go to the East Coast, you'll find that the train systems are more extensive, but also tend to be dirty, run down and in some cases, unsafe. I did find the Washington Metro to be better though.

However, if you've ever traveled overseas to Europe or Asia, you'll know that the systems here cannot compare. It would take a complete overhaul of public mindset, taxpayer funding, pride in cleanliness and commitment to taking public transit to make this in any way comparable.
Zeroed right in on the nut there: the [entitlement] American public’s mindset. ‘We’re the best … so we don’t need to be *public* anything.’ Phbbbt

Old 06-03-2024, 10:02 AM

1,097 posts, read 832,184 times
Most of these problems are rooted in BART's ill-fated design decisions from 1972 to create a bespoke system rather than use standardized technology: https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/03/...k-to-haunt-it/

The high cost of this hubris continues to this day. This includes seemingly unrelated things like poorly maintained stations, because there's less funding for such things when almost every part is custom manufactured.

Do they keep throwing good money after bad to incrementally keep the current design limping along, or bite the bullet and pay a huge amount to do a very disruptive change over to standard infrastructure? There isn't really a good answer at this point.

Old 06-03-2024, 10:08 AM

23,746 posts, read 24,311,064 times
BART has no competition, is a government and union run monopoly. No incentives at all to improve. The worst period from what I’ve seen was right after the pandemic.

Last edited by ccm123; 06-03-2024 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-03-2024, 11:00 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
BART went downhill after the Oscar Grant shooting in 2009. From that point on, the BART board and BART police took a timid stance to enforcing the law. The situation was not unlike the situation following the BLM riots. City governments, chiefs of police, and prosecutors refused to prosecute criminals.

The criminals are getting everything they ever wanted. Accusations of racism is their shield.
What BLM riots? Do you mean the Floyd protests? The violence in several cities was instigated by right wing groups; the FBI and Minneapolis police investigators have documented that.

Old 06-03-2024, 11:22 AM

21,847 posts, read 16,537,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What BLM riots? Do you mean the Floyd protests? The violence in several cities was instigated by right wing groups; the FBI and Minneapolis police investigators have documented that.
Ruth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland