Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM

250 posts, read 335,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonsmagiques View Post
New York vs San Francisco
Hi everybody,

I am originaly French, living in Florida, but thinking about moving somewhere else, with 4 seasons, more culture and many openings for the languages courses/creativity/communication workshops for both Europeans and Americans that I am currently creating.

We have a 2 year old little girl, and we are thinking about New York or San Francisco, we don't know yet. My husband and my job are "transportable", we can work from home, so moving is not an issue.

New York is highly acclaimed, has this extremely attracting reputation but life costs can be discouraging. San Francisco on the other hand seems to be less expensive, and might have a little "village" touch that we truly like. Safety and schooling system are my priorities. It seems to me that SF is safer, and 'cooler".
But I am open to all recommendations/suggestions/input.

Thank you to everyone and have a great week end

CM
San Francisco has two seasons, cool and cold. New York is more international. San Francisco is easier lived on foot. The neighborhood you choose will have it's own ranking for school and safety. New York is more expensive but jobs are more plentiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 58,905 times
Thank you all for your very funny and intelligent replies :-)))
I like to think that I am losing the last traces of intelligence I have, while living in Orlando :-)))

I must also admit that New York freaks me out, all seems so fast and outrageous, and I am a city girl since I am from Paris, but New York is by far faster, bigger, louder !!!
On the other hand I like the liberal and kind of laid back attitude that Californians have, the healthy food...Weather doesn't bother me much, as long as we can be outdoors, go to parks, bike, or just walk. We like mountains, lakes, rivers, fishing, boating, quietness.
I am still making some research, so is my husband. We will probably plan a short trip to SF to visit the areas and look for an appartment or a house, if we can sell ours very quickly.
Thank you for all your replies

Old 06-08-2008, 03:44 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
San Francisco has a great climate for me!
Average about 50 and 55 F in winter and 60 and 70 F in summer is cold?!!!
For NY,that's hot!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 39,708 times
Default Maybe...

I'm a mid-twenties transient who's been here for two years. It's been an experience, that's for sure.

Everyone's looking for something different; but I would personally never bring children to raise in this city. There's a lot of viewpoints on this city; many people praise it as a mecca, there's a smaller number that don't like it, and there's some in between. There's a lot of passionate opinions about the matter in the "Is this a Stupid Question" thread.

It has two seasons: summerish and winterish.

I would personally recommend any other west coast city except for LA for raising kids.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,735 times
NYC and its 5 boroughs is a million times bigger than the city of SF (land and population wise). So there is so much more to do in NYC as other people agree. I think it would be better if you compare NYC to the Bay Area of SF (SF, Oakland, San Jose, Santa Clara, etc..). At least now we have a good size comparison. NYC = 8 million people, SF Bay area = 7 million.

NYC is still rather much more condense than SF Bay Area. As for having kids, i think it is nicer to have a family in the Bay Area (i grew up in Bay Area). There is so much to do as a family in the Bay Area. Bay area is a clean, sunny, and beautiful suburbia, SPACIOUS, with still having EVERYTHING a true city has to offer. I dont think i would have enjoyed the life in NYC as much if I grew up there. NYC, to me, is a gloomier, rainy, darker, claustrophobic, dirty city (although I LOVE NYC, i'm just comparing here).

NOW, in my mid 20's, there is no other place I would rather be in the U.S., then NYC. I think it is the best place for a person 20-39 yrs old! Top 5 reasons for living in NYC in your 20's and 30's:
1. restaurants! FOOD!
2. Outgoing lifestyle (friends, parties, clubs, food, etc...)
3. Transit: Since i have such an outgoing lifestyle, the mass transit sure helps getting from point A
to point B, to C to D to E, F, and the whole alphabet. It would suck to drive ALL the time in
California.
4. I go to college here, so the network will be great for jobs, knowing people, etc..lots of interaction
5. entertainment of the city.

Ok now think about my top 5 favorite NYC reasons, and we will apply it if you're child, or an adult 40 yrs old and older, and why the Bay Area would be better for this age group.
1. Restaurants? you eat at home 7 days a week, its efficient and saves money, fast. then again, if
you want to go out once in a while, there are more than enough places to eat in the Bay Area.
2. you dont club or party, or have nearly as many friends as u did when u were in your 20's 30's. (for
a child reading this, you will have a lot more friends when you get older).
3. Kids: Your conerns are mainly going to school, baseball practice (great weather year round for
sports! Its hard for an young child or elder adult to handle extreme weather), and playing video
games with your neighbor. Adults: Your concern is mainly get to work, go home, feed kids, sleep.
So a car would be handy and comfortable for a child and yourself. I don't like having the thought
of my kids taking public transit, or me taking the subway when i am 50. I rather drive. Since Bay
Area and NYC both have horrible traffic to drive, i prefer to drive in the beautiful scenary of Bay
Area, as opposed to small tiny, dirty NYC sreets.
4. your life is set, therefore massive networking is not really necessary.
5. There is not a need for THAT much entertainment when you are this age. Not so much "get up
and go". And sorry to all, but the suburbs in NYC (such as westcheser, Long island, and suburb
area of NJ) is no where near comparable to the Bay Area.

Overall, these are 2 of my favorite cities in the U.S. they are just meant for living at different times of your life. When I am 40, i look to going back to the calmer life of the Bay Area, but still having "city" things to do when I need to. As for now, I heart NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatnathan View Post

Everyone's looking for something different; but I would personally never bring children to raise in this city. There's a lot of viewpoints on this city; many people praise it as a mecca, there's a smaller number that don't like it, and there's some in between. There's a lot of passionate opinions about the matter in the "Is this a Stupid Question" thread.
I appreciate & respect your opinion about raising kids in SF. Just wanted to share I grew up in San Francisco and turned out okay, as did many of my friends who have a certain, unique, multi-cultural foundation and we view the world differently than most. Not saying we're all that, but hey, well I can say that about my friends. lol. What I loved about living in SF as a child was the ample amount of activities that were available and simply being immersed in so much "culture". My friends were literally from all over the world. My interest in languages - I speak 4 - stems from my upbringing.

There has also been a spike in the number of kids in SF. I believe one of the local papers or even the SF Chron had an article about the baby boom and how you see plenty of strollers in Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, taking over the parks, etc. They were joking that parents are blinging their kids and their strollers now - becoming somewhat militant in how they're raising them. It's all about the kids. In fact, if you travel over to the Rockridge area of Oakland, there are at least 3-4 blocks of stores dedicated to babies and children.

OP, I think it's a great place to grow up, for the long-term or short-term. Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Is there anywhere in San Francisco where it would be possible to buy a one bedroom condo for around $450 K? Is there anywhere safe ? (not The Tenderloin District , iow).
Only tiny Studio's Why not look in the East Bay it's only a 10-15 min drive into the city.

The Ellington Oakland Condominiums: New Condos in Oakland from Ellington

VUE 46 - Final Countdown at Vue46 : Grand Sales Event

:: 200 Second Street ::

Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
NYC and its 5 boroughs is a million times bigger than the city of SF (land and population wise). So there is so much more to do in NYC as other people agree. I think it would be better if you compare NYC to the Bay Area of SF (SF, Oakland, San Jose, Santa Clara, etc..). At least now we have a good size comparison. NYC = 8 million people, SF Bay area = 7 million.

NYC is still rather much more condense than SF Bay Area. As for having kids, i think it is nicer to have a family in the Bay Area (i grew up in Bay Area). There is so much to do as a family in the Bay Area. Bay area is a clean, sunny, and beautiful suburbia, SPACIOUS, with still having EVERYTHING a true city has to offer. I dont think i would have enjoyed the life in NYC as much if I grew up there. NYC, to me, is a gloomier, rainy, darker, claustrophobic, dirty city (although I LOVE NYC, i'm just comparing here).

NOW, in my mid 20's, there is no other place I would rather be in the U.S., then NYC. I think it is the best place for a person 20-39 yrs old! Top 5 reasons for living in NYC in your 20's and 30's:
1. restaurants! FOOD!
2. Outgoing lifestyle (friends, parties, clubs, food, etc...)
3. Transit: Since i have such an outgoing lifestyle, the mass transit sure helps getting from point A
to point B, to C to D to E, F, and the whole alphabet. It would suck to drive ALL the time in
California.
4. I go to college here, so the network will be great for jobs, knowing people, etc..lots of interaction
5. entertainment of the city.

Ok now think about my top 5 favorite NYC reasons, and we will apply it if you're child, or an adult 40 yrs old and older, and why the Bay Area would be better for this age group.
1. Restaurants? you eat at home 7 days a week, its efficient and saves money, fast. then again, if
you want to go out once in a while, there are more than enough places to eat in the Bay Area.
2. you dont club or party, or have nearly as many friends as u did when u were in your 20's 30's. (for
a child reading this, you will have a lot more friends when you get older).
3. Kids: Your conerns are mainly going to school, baseball practice (great weather year round for
sports! Its hard for an young child or elder adult to handle extreme weather), and playing video
games with your neighbor. Adults: Your concern is mainly get to work, go home, feed kids, sleep.
So a car would be handy and comfortable for a child and yourself. I don't like having the thought
of my kids taking public transit, or me taking the subway when i am 50. I rather drive. Since Bay
Area and NYC both have horrible traffic to drive, i prefer to drive in the beautiful scenary of Bay
Area, as opposed to small tiny, dirty NYC sreets.
4. your life is set, therefore massive networking is not really necessary.
5. There is not a need for THAT much entertainment when you are this age. Not so much "get up
and go". And sorry to all, but the suburbs in NYC (such as westcheser, Long island, and suburb
area of NJ) is no where near comparable to the Bay Area.

Overall, these are 2 of my favorite cities in the U.S. they are just meant for living at different times of your life. When I am 40, i look to going back to the calmer life of the Bay Area, but still having "city" things to do when I need to. As for now, I heart NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)
This was right on point. Good post!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
It's actually the other way around. SF has an out of control aggressive panhandler problem that the city does zero about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonsmagiques View Post
New York vs San Francisco
. It seems to me that SF is safer, and 'cooler".

CM

Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
I actually agree with you Lulu on this. It's not so much the city isn't doing anything about it, but rather their attempt to solve the issue is only perpetuating the problem (in my opinion). If it weren't for the homeless population in San Francisco, I honestly think it might be the best city in the world (that I've been too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland