Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,296,397 times

Advertisements

Antioch is now Pittsburg extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 14,160 times
Default Antioch is not so bad

I hate to hear people talking about Antioch being the worst city in the East Bay. There is a lot of good in our city such as diversity. Antioch is a city with very diverse demographics. Many families are long time residence of the community, while other just inhabited the community a few year ago. As a longtime Antioch resident I can proudly say that our city has many amentities such as great outdoor trails, rolling hills, rivers, and golf course clubhouse. However many people are close minded and assume there is always violence when they see rude people walking on street. I know Antioch does have it fair share of violence. But it is just part of a process of growing. Brentwood will go through th same process in ten years. Since everything is new now, people like to think that it is a better community. It is Just a younger version of Antioch.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 AM

10 posts, read 59,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerdude89 View Post
I hate to hear people talking about Antioch being the worst city in the East Bay. There is a lot of good in our city such as diversity. Antioch is a city with very diverse demographics. Many families are long time residence of the community, while other just inhabited the community a few year ago. As a longtime Antioch resident I can proudly say that our city has many amentities such as great outdoor trails, rolling hills, rivers, and golf course clubhouse. However many people are close minded and assume there is always violence when they see rude people walking on street. I know Antioch does have it fair share of violence. But it is just part of a process of growing. Brentwood will go through th same process in ten years. Since everything is new now, people like to think that it is a better community. It is Just a younger version of Antioch.
Runnerdude - You're missing the point; Antioch may be diverse and have some nice extracurricular amenities here and there, but it's not the safest place to live anymore. It's very usual these days to read of a shooting in Antioch WEEKLY, if not every other day. Teenage girls shouldn't have to watch their backs leaving McDonalds and keep their cell phones tucked away...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 PM

226 posts, read 1,127,172 times
In the long run, BART will not be an issue for those living in Antioch. By the time you start a family, or while your children are still young, BART will have extended into those communities or will be under construction.

eBART

Similarly, BART is pondering whether extending into Livermore is feasible once again, now with a website with possible routes. This would allow you to consider Mountain House, a community with less expensive homes but with good schools and safety. I found a house on the MLS listing for $499,999 that is almost 4,500 square feet when including the in-law unit. Prices will likely fall much more.

BART to Livermore

Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM

13 posts, read 120,985 times
Thanks to everyone for all the great info -- esp. from those who live in or near Antioch!
We have visited Pittsburg/Antioch a number of times in the evening after work and on weekends and we really like the communities and infrastructure in the newer areas of Antioch. It's close to BART, but didn't love Pittsburg even though it would make the commute easier.

I grew up in suburbs of LA and OC before moving overseas with the military and Antioch reminds me a lot of South Orange County. We'll definitely consider Brentwood and make it a point to travel there and check out some of the REO's available.

Every city has some crime ... I've survived 3 war zones so I may have a skewed sense but I'm not turned off by a little crime in Antioch because I do feel safe there. I also appreciate that there is diversity.

Most importantly, of all the cities we've looked at in the Bay area, Antioch has some of the nicest homes and neighborhoods (under 1M.) The homes are actually very, very nice.

At this point my biggest concern is the commute, and eventually -- the schools.

We will def. commute to SF/Oakland primarily via BART or rideshare. Since BART is in Pittsburg, I'm a bit concerned about the added 10-20 min commute to the BART station from Antioch/Brentood. I exit Embarcadero and can walk to work... does anyone do a similar commute via BART? How long does it take from your front door to your office? What are the best hours for the commute? Any tips?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 AM

253 posts, read 1,334,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaven808 View Post
We will def. commute to SF/Oakland primarily via BART or rideshare. Since BART is in Pittsburg, I'm a bit concerned about the added 10-20 min commute to the BART station from Antioch/Brentood. I exit Embarcadero and can walk to work... does anyone do a similar commute via BART? How long does it take from your front door to your office? What are the best hours for the commute? Any tips?
Sigh. If you are determined to do this in spite of all the warnings you've gotten, then my co-worker says it takes him between 1:30 and 1:45 each way door-to-door, depending on how much traffic occurs on Highway 4. Earlier is obviously better - if you can get into the city before 7:00 am you'll miss most of the traffic and the crunch on BART. The good news is that you will usually get a seat going in, since you are getting on first. Going home you might be standing up half-way, depending on what time you leave. Every seat is gone in the afternoons before the train gets to Embarcadero Station.

Put all the money you save from the cheaper Antioch housing in a fund to pay for private school tuition - you're going to need it.

Last edited by RandalR; 06-26-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 14,077 times
I just joined to inquire about the low prices in Antioch but after reading this thread I guess that won't be necessary.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 28,083 times
We moved here in Antioch 15 years ago and so far we haven't had any problems with exagerrated crimes that some people are talking about. Yes, Antioch have had problems with teenagers committing crimes but that was before there was no curfew for teenagers. The Antioch Police won't let these crimes to escalate, believe me. I trust them. They know what they're doing. If you will read the police reports every week in Antioch, Brentwood and Oakley, they are all alike. They all have robberies, drugs, drunk drivings, etc., even shootings. Last week, there was a shooting in Brentwood and a drughouse was raided like two months ago. So one cannot say that Brentwood or Oakley is better than Antioch. Even in upscale neighborhoods like Danville have problems with rich kids.

If I want to live in a very peaceful place, we'll just move to our farmhouse in Knightsen on a five-acre land. But you know what, we feel that it's more dangerous to live there because there are no people around although it is only located just off of Oakley and Brentwood mainroads.

We're the first one to move on this block eight years ago and there were no huge houses yet. Now if you go up Mokelumne, there are huge houses up to 4,300 sq. ft. Recently, there was a 4,200 sq.ft. foreclosed home that was sold for $499,000 but the backyard is small. So it all depends on what you want. My son's school is just a block away from our house so it's very convenient plus we have a big pool, that's probably the reason why my kids never want to move. The theater, the drugstore, the grocery are just a five-minute drive or you can walk, down to Mokelumne. My daughter goes to Deer Valley, the school they say is gang infested. We never encountered any gangs or any gang members in that school. We wanted for her to go to a private school but all her friends go to Deer Valley. So, we said, "okay, we'll wait and see what will happen." My kids are honor students especially my son who's a gold student and is going to take the GATE test. We have two houses here in Antioch, two houses in Pinole and one house in Knightsen. We bought these houses before the house prices went really high. We have converted our houses into carehomes to pay the mortgages. My husband is a professional and I'm a stay-at-home wife.

Right now is the best time to buy a huge house here in Antioch. I would, if my husband will agree with me, because I like buying huge, nice furnitures and giant vases so I really like to see them in a big house. My house is only 2,700 sq.ft.

I don't think the value of houses here will be lower after this year.

So if you really like to have a very big house with a reasonable price and decorate it with beautiful things, like me, go for it. I'm already excited for you.

Sure, the houseprices will go up again, it's just a matter of time, especially if you buy a newer house. It will take time and if the price is low, all you need to do is wait for it go up again. Take note, if you notice a lot of cars next to the house that you are interested in, that's a warning sign.

The section 8 problem here is not that serious anymore. The section 8 rents are not even enough anymore so the houses ended up for sale or foreclosed. These houseowners used the interest only payments that after two years, their payments went double. So, the $1,500 section 8 rent is not enough for almost $5,000 monthly payment even if the houseowner will pay the rest. So, they just let their houses go foreclosed.

The only problem you will have is the commuting time. It's really bad especially if you live in Brentwood because of Lone Tree Way and Bypass 4 in Brentwood. The people in Brentwood are blaming each other for their problems in heavy traffic.

If you enjoy eating out, we have nice restaurants here in Antioch. The number one on our list is Mimi's. It has a New Orlean's atmosphere and food. We have Chili's, Carino's (Italian rest.), Chicago Uno Grill, and if we want to have some coffee and very good pastries, we go to Panera's. We haven't tried Saxby's coffee yet and there's another two new coffee and bakery shop which I can't remember the names and many more. We still like having breakfast at Denny's, the first restaurant we had in this new area of Antioch.

The population here in Antioch is around 100,000 already but still a good place to raise a family compared to other big cities. You just have to live in the new area of Antioch.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 AM

29 posts, read 167,425 times
I did teacher retirement plans for several years. I routinely met with teachers who taught in Antioch, and most other Contra Costa school district schools. I met teachers who taught in Antioch, and they lived in Brentwood because they wanted their kids in Brentwood Schools. (By the way, I have no kids, so I don't care about schools. I think I'm pretty impartial. I am just relating what I heard.)

If you are going to choose Pittsburg, there are a few good streets to live on, and they are trying to get Pittsburg off the railroad tracks so to speak, but I think the best deal is Concord. Here's why: Concord is on the BART line. Concord has some good schools (not as good as Walnut Creek, but if your kids have a good home influence, they will have the chance for good opportunities in Concord. ) If you don't like Concord public schools, Concord has Lasalle High School which has won all kinds of awards.

Concord was voted some kind of All American City Award for families. Since I only have a mini-schnauzer I don't know much about families. What I can tell you for sure is I am an outside sales rep. Concord is easy access to the freeways.

Any price in housing you save in Pittsburg and Antioch is going to cost you in gas, and in time on the road. Personally given the choice between Antioch and Brentwood, forget it. Brentwood is so completely hard to get to. To get from hwy 4 to Brentwood it takes 45 minutes most of the time. AND THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE TIME YOU SPENT GETTING YOURSELF FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO HIGHWAY 4 before entering Brentwood or Antioch via Lonetree exit. Concord has some great areas and some crummy areas. The city fathers and mothers are onto the crime areas. I found a few decent restaurants in Concord and shopping is great because Home Depot is right there, Costco, and a bunch more, and if you want fancy clothes you ride a few minutes to Walnut Creek and go shopping there.

People who lived in Brentwood complained to me that there was no nightlife, no restaurants etc.

I personally would get a smaller place in Concord and fix it up. I don't think you will be sorry. On the other hand if you have to live way the heck out there and have the ridiculous commute as gas goes to $600.00 a gallon I would just recommend pitching a tent on top of the Pittsburg BART station and be done with it.

Finally, Pittsburg, Antioch, and Brentwood ALL took a long time to recover from every other real estate downturn in the past. If all you want is a big house go for it. During your hot and long commute the only good part is that you can listen to the weather report from radio stations in both San Francisco and Sacramento all telling you how hot it is and how long the commute is taking on various freeways. You won't really need these radio stations because you will be witness first hand to how sucky the weather is and how hot it is and how tired you are from having to get up at a ridiculous hour and spend billions of dollars each day to spend 4 hours on the freeways. Enjoy.

Last edited by karenabcde; 06-28-2008 at 12:42 AM..

Old 06-28-2008, 02:59 AM

2 posts, read 28,083 times
To Mediamaven808, If you love reading books, we have Barnes and Noble bookstore here in Antioch with a coffee shop inside. We love going there.

Last Friday, we went biking in Marina district in San Francisco and got home in less than one hour, that's from 7pm to almost 8 pm. We were surprised to be home without a traffic.

About the Bart station in Pittsburg, they say there's not enough parking space for cars, some say you just have to go there early. Of course, there are crimes but not about car theft. There was a shooting like 3 or 4 years ago, but it's a family related thing and not a random shooting.

I don't blame you if you like Antioch. That's how I felt when we were looking for our first house. We looked in every city and have lived in LA, San Diego, Sacramento, Pittsburg but there's something in Antioch that made me feel at home. And of course, the houseprice was right for our budget. There was not even a single fastfood rest. or store here in the new area of Antioch when we moved here 15 years ago, no traffic on Lone Tree. But now, I even love it more. We have everything! Ooops, not everything. We don't have Fresh Choice and Todai rest. here. But that's okay, once or twice a month we go to Sunvalley Mall, it's a 15 minute drive, just to eat there. I wish we have Rain Forest restaurant here, too. We made sure to eat at Rain Forest in San Francisco when we went there.

We wanted to go biking again in San Fran 3 days ago but decided to go biking instead in Contra Loma reservoir in Antioch. Were we scared? No, not at all. It's very safe place with park securities roaming around the park. We felt like we went to a far away place. We could see the mountains, biked around the lake; we even saw a man fishing; a woman playing with her dog; a very big pool with sandlike beach and it's also a perfect place to have a picnic and to have a BBQ.

In any place, you should not go out late at night, because anything can happen. We make sure we're home before 11 pm if we see a movie in the theatre down the road from where we live.

Me and my 10-year old son walk to the elementary school everyday a block away from our house with no problems at all. We raised our three kids here.

You have to act fast. There are foreclosed homes here around Lone Tree Elementary School that are less than $400,000. But they're not 4,000 sq. ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland