Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

What an interesting thread. I got out five years ago and it was a good thing. Just reading this thread makes me appreciate my house in a great neighborhood on half an acre, but that's neither here nor there.

To the OP, you do seem convinced, but the commute to SF is horrendous. Sure, it looks like a wonderful thing to have that big house, but I did that commute for three years and ended up leaving the Bay Area probably due to it - and this is BEFORE things got bad, apparently. If I had it to do over I would have just bought a small house in Concord. If I'd done that I'd probably still be living up there and happy.

I spent close to four hours a day commuting to SF. I got off on Montgomery. It took 45 minutes just to get to Pittsburg BART, not to mention another hour to the City. Add on the time spent waiting for trains and you are looking at FOUR hours a day. It was grueling and there was a reason people looked so miserable at the end of the line. No kidding. When I first started doing it I noticed how so many women looked haggard. After three years I was one of them. Oh well, you have been forewarned.

Last edited by movin'on; 06-28-2008 at 03:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 PM

104 posts, read 725,657 times
We got out of Antioch in '04. All I can say is that there is a reason you can get a 4500 sf house in Antioch for $500K. It's because those who can afford to move out, do so. Those who can afford to live somewhere else, do so.

If I absolutely had to move to East County, I'd probably go to Brentwood. There is also a nice gated community in Disco. You can buy a house for a song in both of those communities, too.

Have you checked out San Ramon? They've suffered terribly with the housing bubble, so homes are cheap there, too. I live in Concord (nice area with good schools), and I could buy a comparable home in San Ramon now for about the same price. I couldn't do that in '04. Schools are good even though the lots are nothing more than postage stamps. I don't want to live there because the status of being in the 680 corridor isn't worth the hellish commute.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N CA View Post
We got out of Antioch in '04. All I can say is that there is a reason you can get a 4500 sf house in Antioch for $500K. It's because those who can afford to move out, do so. Those who can afford to live somewhere else, do so.

If I absolutely had to move to East County, I'd probably go to Brentwood. There is also a nice gated community in Disco. You can buy a house for a song in both of those communities, too.

Have you checked out San Ramon? They've suffered terribly with the housing bubble, so homes are cheap there, too. I live in Concord (nice area with good schools), and I could buy a comparable home in San Ramon now for about the same price. I couldn't do that in '04. Schools are good even though the lots are nothing more than postage stamps. I don't want to live there because the status of being in the 680 corridor isn't worth the hellish commute.
Can I ask what the median price of a house is in Concord now? If I could sell my house, I think I'd move back up there. No, I would move back up there, but houses are NOT selling where I am. I am glad my property hasn't dropped in value (as of 2007). Thanks.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:06 PM

movin'on,

It really depends on which area of Concord. Much of it depends on the schools and location. I would say that most areas are near the late 2004 or very early 2005 prices. Our home closed in December 2004. We paid $635K. Right now in decent repair, we could get about $660K. We're remodeling ourselves because we might be interested in selling, and I'm hoping to get about $680K or so. It's a 4/2.5 2000 square feet. Our

One of the biggest driving factors is the schools of attendance for each particular area. There are three Concord neighborhoods that attend Northgate schools, which help maintain high property values. Concord homes that attend Clayton schools also still have fairly good values.

Many of the other areas that are assigned to 'less desirable' (not my words, but this is just how people think), have dropped more in value. Homes that are assigned to Mt. Diablo High will be substantially less. It's all about people willing to pay as much for the best education they can afford for their kids.

One positive for Concord is that they're pretty much built out and haven't been impacted the way East County and San Ramon have.

So, for me, I haven't seen depreciation in real dollars because I will still see appreciation.

It's really difficult to gauge "average" home price because there are too many variables. If you give me an area, I could figure out an average for you, though.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM

FYI - Prices in my area run about $320 to $340 per square foot (probably depending on condition) currrently.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N CA View Post
movin'on,

It really depends on which area of Concord. Much of it depends on the schools and location. I would say that most areas are near the late 2004 or very early 2005 prices. Our home closed in December 2004. We paid $635K. Right now in decent repair, we could get about $660K. We're remodeling ourselves because we might be interested in selling, and I'm hoping to get about $680K or so. It's a 4/2.5 2000 square feet. Our

One of the biggest driving factors is the schools of attendance for each particular area. There are three Concord neighborhoods that attend Northgate schools, which help maintain high property values. Concord homes that attend Clayton schools also still have fairly good values.

Many of the other areas that are assigned to 'less desirable' (not my words, but this is just how people think), have dropped more in value. Homes that are assigned to Mt. Diablo High will be substantially less. It's all about people willing to pay as much for the best education they can afford for their kids.

One positive for Concord is that they're pretty much built out and haven't been impacted the way East County and San Ramon have.

So, for me, I haven't seen depreciation in real dollars because I will still see appreciation.

It's really difficult to gauge "average" home price because there are too many variables. If you give me an area, I could figure out an average for you, though.
Thanks. How about around Todos Santos plaza? Not sure what kind of neighborhood that is now. I would be happy with a corner lot - it's just me and my dog and cat, so I don't need that much space and an older house would be fine. Darn I wish I would not have left but I didn't have the money then that I do now.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about the Todos Santos area either. I believe that there have been some very public muggings lately. There have been quite a few murders down Clayton Road-Port Chicago Highway. It seems to me that crime has been increasing everywhere around here. Burglaries, robberies and murders are becoming a problem in Walnut Creek, too.

There aren't many homes within walking distance because that area is mostly commercial now. The only single family residence within walking distance is a 4/2 approx. 1500 sf on Fremont Street. There's a home on Mt. Diablo in that area, but it's boarded up vintage bungalow. The closest location to Todos Santos really is the Baldwin Park area. It looks like homes are listed between $350K-$400K. The lower end means a smaller house w/a one-car garage. The more expensive are slightly larger with a 2-car garage. It looks like the lots are about 6,000 square feet. I don't know how much these homes are actually selling for.

The City were receiving complaints about the homeless at Baldwin Park, so they relocated the neighborhood soup kitchen and ousted the homeless from the park.

If you look further out, there are some nice view homes near the North Concord BART is the Sun Terrace area. My BIL lives off of Monument and Oak Grove. It seems to be a quiet neighborhood.

I work in downtown Oakland, and my door-to-door commute (Concord BART and driving) is about 45 minutes.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 PM

For updates on Concord and Clayton, go to:

claycord.com

Often humorous and always informative.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM

55 posts, read 226,736 times
Big story in the Contra Costa paper today reguarding an Antioch area by residents of one Antioch neighborhood. Those folks are trying to take back their neighborhood from teen age thugs. I recomend reading that artical before buying anything in that city. Remember, thats just one neighborhood. Do your homework . If you want cheap housing, there's a reason why it's so cheap.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 AM

moochdawgg,

There are many reasons an area can be inexpensive other than crime. My husband bought his home in Antioch during the late 1980s housing bubble. Part of developing East County was some 'white flight' in which people were trying to escape the inner cities people wanted affordable housing in bedroom communities.

Danville was pretty cheap many years ago because it was nothing more than rural, podunk. It's about how a community transitions, and East County communities (esp. Antioch and Oakley) are not transitioning into desirable communities.

One thing to note is that the older areas of Antioch seem to be faring better than the newer areas. I lived in an older area (a few miles from Antioch High and Middle Schools), and had zero problems in the seven years that I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland