Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times

Advertisements

Antioch is no prize catch but it is not as bad as people hype it out to be. They dont even have a notorious projects like pittsburg. Deer Valley High managed to stay in the top 50% of high schools so its not all lost over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM

89 posts, read 327,652 times
Sterile living in a over sized ugly house on a ugly lot, in a ugly souless bedroom community. You will regret it. Let me guess. Rows of cheaply built ugly houses that all look the same, and have the same ugly exterior paint. You will probably have to drive everywhere you go. Do you like strip malls, and big box stores? New P.O.S subdivisions like these usually want a HOA check every month for nothing. Isn't this the town with all the sex offenders? Don't do it.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

94 posts, read 213,685 times
One thing remains for sure: Antioch has the most white trash I've ever seen out of any city I've been to in California, and I've been to a LOT of cities in this state...

Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,559 times
just wondering how OP is doing with her 4000sq ft big house one year after she bought it, any regrets with all the news not in Antioch favor lately?....i remember in 93 i drove to Antioch around Lone Tree/Deer Valley they were just putting out pretty nice homes and the areas looked pretty nice too, certainly didn't see one thug everywhere i looked, it's so sad to see it go down the drain 15 years later, i guess a lot of the good people moved out and bad ones flocked in...i was pretty shocked not until i heard Anitoch is inundated with Sec 8, what do you expect? I should know better i rented out my house in Baypont to Sec 8 and these people not only could not come up with $150 rent (government paid $800) but also stole appliances from the house and had the audacity to enlist legal aid to their rescue, NOT AGAIN

Old 07-04-2010, 01:26 PM

9 posts, read 39,160 times
Default How's life OP?

OK, almost 2 years later. I hope OP is doing well, I really do. No regrets I hope.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 29,218 times
Wow, a lot of Antioch haters out there. We bought our house last year and so far, the only challenge was the commute, it does take 20 min to get to Bart but overall, quality of life is really good. There are a lot of schools and they are getting better, a lot new families are moving in but hardly sec 8. Zip codes 94531 are a good bet, well maintained houses and lots, parks and trails are safe and clean, lots of big box stores, farmers market. Brentwood is pretty good but it will give extra 15 min on the road.

Most towns/cities have a bad neighborhood. You will find them on the outskirts of every city. Walnut creek, San Ramon has them.

Overall, Antioch is a good buy, you just have to check the neighborhood you are buying into.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,971 times
Wow interesting comments about Antioch, I've been a resident for 5-years here & I love it. Its a very family oriented city. I have no complaints, although ALL cities have their share of "bad areas" hmmm what part of Antioch were you all living in?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,971 times
I drive daily into Oakland from Antioch during commute hours, my drive is less than an hour daily UNLESS an accident or something occurred.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
I lived in Antioch for 11 yrs, prior to moving to Dublin. When I first moved there, it was a nice place. Fairly quiet and not alot of problems/issues. That went downhill quickly, with the low prices of houses and the influx of people from the East Bay. Like you said, you can afford a house there and, in 1990, so could I.

I lived a few blocks away from the then, newly opened Deer Valley High School. The first day it opened there was a gang fight; day one. Murders have risen and crime in general; its one reason I left there. Not too mention the city is fiscally mismanaged. Everyone was paying property taxes and most people were paying Mello Roos on top of that. But, when things got a tad bad, they tacked another assessment on everyone, to keep the parks open, street lighting, etc. WTF? Where did all the money go to begin with?

You would be better off finding a better location. For 500K you could find a house, albeit smaller, in San Ramon, Dublin, or Pleasanton.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
I have been offered an interview with the Antioch Schools. Presently we live near the Wine country in the southern part of California (Temecula); its a very quiet, low crime, great schools (several are distinguished schools). Although I have not been offered a position, I have looking for such a position in the district office. I was pleased to be called for an interview but have read the horror stories about the schools, gangs, and low morale. Can anyone offer any more insights?--thanks P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland