Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 AM

10,362 posts, read 8,605,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodytheBulldog View Post
Wow, a lot of Antioch haters out there. We bought our house last year and so far, the only challenge was the commute, it does take 20 min to get to Bart but overall, quality of life is really good. There are a lot of schools and they are getting better, a lot new families are moving in but hardly sec 8. Zip codes 94531 are a good bet, well maintained houses and lots, parks and trails are safe and clean, lots of big box stores, farmers market. Brentwood is pretty good but it will give extra 15 min on the road.

Most towns/cities have a bad neighborhood. You will find them on the outskirts of every city. Walnut creek, San Ramon has them.

Overall, Antioch is a good buy, you just have to check the neighborhood you are buying into.
where is the bad neighborhood in San Ramon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
where is the bad neighborhood in San Ramon?
I sure it is like the bad neighborhood in Dublin. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Just a little worse than the rest of town.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:55 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,825 times
Is it still sketchy in Antioch? I know some of the post reflect a couple of years ago, but times and situations can change. It appears the housing costs are excellent for the Bay Area.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,175,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petera123 View Post
I have been offered an interview with the Antioch Schools. Presently we live near the Wine country in the southern part of California (Temecula); its a very quiet, low crime, great schools (several are distinguished schools). Although I have not been offered a position, I have looking for such a position in the district office. I was pleased to be called for an interview but have read the horror stories about the schools, gangs, and low morale. Can anyone offer any more insights?--thanks P
Yea. Move to brentwood instead and save yourself the head ache. Its right next to antioch, yet worlds apart.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
Crime:What are the main bad streets in Antioch? What are the main good streets in Antioch ?
Thank you,

Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM

11 posts, read 42,014 times
Default Wanna move from Sacramento to the SF Bay Area

I'm originally from the L.A. area & have been in Sac for about 5 years & now am thinking of moving closer to the bay area. The problem is I don't know what areas are decent & what areas are infested with crime & gangs. I know Oakland & Richmond have high crime rates but what about the east bay areas like Brentwood, Oakley, Antioch, Concord, Pleasant Hill. Does anyone know what areas are pretty decent & what areas I should avoid. I realize that crime can occur anywhere, but some places are more prone to crime & have higher crime rates.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya73 View Post
I'm originally from the L.A. area & have been in Sac for about 5 years & now am thinking of moving closer to the bay area. The problem is I don't know what areas are decent & what areas are infested with crime & gangs. I know Oakland & Richmond have high crime rates but what about the east bay areas like Brentwood, Oakley, Antioch, Concord, Pleasant Hill. Does anyone know what areas are pretty decent & what areas I should avoid. I realize that crime can occur anywhere, but some places are more prone to crime & have higher crime rates.
I hear Antioch has a lot of crime, not sure how prevalent it is. There are lots of forclosures in Brentwood, Antioch and presumably Oakley so neighborhood quality is hit or miss. Concord has good parts and bad parts -- you should ask someone who lives there where to avoid. Pleasant Hill is generally OK. All of these places are spread out and suburban (which may be a plus or minus for you). If are are keen in living in that part of the Bay Area, you should add Martinez, Pacheco and Benicia to your list. They are all in that general direction and neighbor each other an/or Concord. They are closer in than Brentwood, Antioch or Oakley.

Richmond has good areas and bad areas. Generally near the waterfront is great, and there is an area around Hilltop that is good as well, but you should ask someone who lives there.

I live in Oakland. Crime is very concentrated in Oakland. So much so that if you don't live in one of the high crime areas you are unlikely to witness, hear about or even know the serious crime exists. There are plenty of great neighborhoods with low crime rates. You can do a search in the forum for threads with lists of good neighborhoods in Oakland. It is a big misconception that the city is crime-ridden. Yes there is crime, but there are lots of nice neighborhoods as well that are unaffected. And not all of these neighborhoods require you to be in the 1% to live there.

But the most important questions are:
1. What kind of neighborhood do you want
2. Where and what time do you need to get to work/commute

Living in Brentwood, Oakley or Antioch ( would subject you to terrible commutes to most Bay Area job centers. If you work in Concord or Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill it would be tolerable.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM

10 posts, read 20,750 times
My wife, who grew up in Pittsburg and moved to Antioch in her teens into a new home off of Davidson. At the time, Antioch just started building new houses which were very affordable. The next 15 years she has lived the city was great. Starting in the late 90s, as prices in the inner Bay Area started to appreciate, many people in Oakland and Richmond started moving there, and with it, a lot of the bad elements.

When I started dating my wife, I used to drive to Antioch every weekend and visit her and I noticed it going downhill. New housing divisions started to look old really quick, houses being robbed, etc. My In-Law's neighbor's home was robbed, and there was another robbery at her aunt's home neighborhood in an even newer part of Antioch (next to the Lowes and close to Brentwood). This prompted her aunt to install a security system in their house. After I got married, my wife and I moved into San Ramon (actually I already owned in San Ramon, she moved in with me) and my wife noticed how different San Ramon is compared to Antioch, to the point that she would not want to move back there ever again.

As another poster stated, "where is the bad neighborhood in San Ramon?"

A friend of mine stated it best, "I rather live in a small house in a nice area, than a big house in a bad area."

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,175,673 times
Quote:
A friend of mine stated it best, "I rather live in a small house in a nice area, than a big house in a bad area."
Works fine until you have kids, or want a back yard, or you start getting more material possesions. Not much you can do with a 900 sq foot late 40's bungalow at that point.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 20,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Works fine until you have kids, or want a back yard, or you start getting more material possesions. Not much you can do with a 900 sq foot late 40's bungalow at that point.
In my situation, I live in a 3 BR/3BA 1700 sf. townhome (bought brand new), with 2 kids and a backyard. Bought during the first housing collapse right after 9-11 and the first .com bust during Christmas, so I got a great deal. We're right beside my children's elementary school (5 minute walk) and close to ammenities. This is the first (and probably the only home) we'll own. Compared to most homes in San Ramon, which are usually over 2000 sf., it is the perfect size for my family (we're done with kids). Could easily sell the house and probably have enough equity to live mortgage or close to mortgage free in Antioch.

However, sometimes living in a desirable community really does have its advantages. Of course the educational system and low crime rates is one factor. However there are many other factors as well. Access to great parks and trails, good neighbors and friends we have made, lots of things for us to do that go on in the community and nearby cities, and that true suburban home town fell. Sometimes it's hard to explain, but when you move here and compare it to the place I grew up in, it really is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland