Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Reputation: 1205

Advertisements

We'll be flying into the Oakland airport in late August but our intended destination is Napa Valley. My father mentioned something about being able to take a train from Oakland to Napa Valley. Is this possible? Is there a link for this?

All I have seen are train trips that are days in duration. We were looking for a cute way to get to Napa Valley for our conference.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Reputation: 3631
You'd take the Amtrak Capitol Corridor to Martinez and transfer to a motor coach service to Napa. If you load the PDF schedule and scroll down to page 6 you'll see the timing for the connections.

::: The Capitol Corridor: home :::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
 
15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Reputation: 30932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We'll be flying into the Oakland airport in late August but our intended destination is Napa Valley. My father mentioned something about being able to take a train from Oakland to Napa Valley. Is this possible? Is there a link for this?

All I have seen are train trips that are days in duration. We were looking for a cute way to get to Napa Valley for our conference.

THANKS!
No -- there is a Napa Valley train, but it's a dining experience, not a mode of transportation. If you don't want to drive, your best bet is then as Sonnarat suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Reputation: 1205
Okay...maybe this is where my father is confusing us. He made it sound as if he thought we could grab the train from Oakland's airport and get off in Napa Valley.

We thought if the train was on the way why not...but it sounds like we would be better off renting a car or taking the hotel shuttle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Reputation: 3631
Nope, there's no rail service to Napa that I'm aware of. It's all still Amtrak, but the bus ride will be longer than the train ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Reputation: 23746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Okay...maybe this is where my father is confusing us. He made it sound as if he thought we could grab the train from Oakland's airport and get off in Napa Valley.

We thought if the train was on the way why not...but it sounds like we would be better off renting a car or taking the hotel shuttle.
Yeah, I'd recommend driving or taking the shuttle, since it's going to take forever on a train/bus... whereas driving is an easy 35-45 minutes without traffic (I used to commute there from SF in 55 minutes). The scenery doesn't get really pretty until you're in Napa anyway, so it's not like you will miss anything spectacular. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
 
15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Reputation: 30932
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, I'd recommend driving or taking the shuttle, since it's going to take forever on a train/bus... whereas driving is an easy 35-45 minutes without traffic (I used to commute there from SF in 55 minutes). The scenery doesn't get really pretty until you're in Napa anyway, so it's not like you will miss anything spectacular. Have fun!
55 minutes! Wow -- I MUST go into sightsee-er mode when I drive up there... it takes us twice that!

This is my formal apology to all the residents of Napa that I must have really annoyed by my slow driving.

I'm very very sorry.

Is the big red chicken place with the antique shops still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Reputation: 1205
I agree...it will be a rental or a shuttle ride for us. The hotel told us it was an hour drive to the hotel from Oakland's aiport. We fly in on a Tuesday late afternoon. Probably will be close to an hour drive as told to us. Thanks for the help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 AM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Reputation: 23746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
55 minutes! Wow -- I MUST go into sightsee-er mode when I drive up there... it takes us twice that!

This is my formal apology to all the residents of Napa that I must have really annoyed by my slow driving.

I'm very very sorry.
LOL. I'd drive at least 75-80mph the whole way, which I was able to do because of my weird work hours (12-9pm). Made it back in 45 minutes flat one night - you don't want to know how fast I was going. Even at the speed limit you can do it in an hour (without traffic), since it's only 50 miles from SF to Napa. But don't worry, the Napans themselves are reaaaalllly slow & spacey drivers... and yeah, the sightseeing tourists annoyed me too.

Quote:
Is the big red chicken place with the antique shops still there?
Pretty sure I saw that recently, so I'd say yes... where is it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
 
15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Reputation: 30932
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL. I'd drive at least 75-80mph the whole way, which I was able to do because of my weird work hours (12-9pm). Made it back in 45 minutes flat one night - you don't want to know how fast I was going. Even at the speed limit you can do it in an hour (without traffic), since it's only 50 miles from SF to Napa. But don't worry, the Napans themselves are reaaaalllly slow & spacey drivers... and yeah, the sightseeing tourists annoyed me too.



Pretty sure I saw that recently, so I'd say yes... where is it again?
I am one of those people that can't tell you where things are, but I can get there. Pretty sure it's off a main Napa road that has a frontage road and it's over the rail road tracks.

My sense of direction is amazing -- my mom has to be oriented to a map at all times... but I just drive and get where I'm going.

A while ago we were visiting friends in Fairfield, and we got caught up in the bottleneck at Suisun -- the merge from 680 to 80 --- and I got off the highway and we back roaded it. We found 12 and somehow ended up in downtown Fairfield. It was cool.

That's the bad part of the high gas prices. I love to get into the car and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top