Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 31,991 times

Advertisements

I recently took a therapy job in Fairfield and will be moving from the midwest. I am thinking of living in Walnut Creek... does anyone know how bad of a commute that would be each day, from WC to Fairfield?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Looks like about 30 miles on 680 and 80. I don't think it would be terrible compared with many other commutes of that length, but it does include a toll bridge so get yourself a FasTrak.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:48 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Why not live in the Fairfield/Vacaville area and skip the $4.60/gal gas plus $80/month bridge toll commute. Fairfield isn't all that bad. Really!!

Traffic does get a little congested between Walnut Creek and the Benicia bridge on I-680, otherwise, the commute is usually OK.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Why not live in the Fairfield/Vacaville area and skip the $4.60/gal gas plus $80/month bridge toll commute. Fairfield isn't all that bad. Really!!

Traffic does get a little congested between Walnut Creek and the Benicia bridge on I-680, otherwise, the commute is usually OK.
I second Humboldtrat's idea, but if you have children, then Vacaville and the area near Travis AFB is better. Homes in that area are much more affordable than Walnut Creek. Other than Benicia City Unified School District, Travis Unified has great schools and you can get into the attendance area in the low 200K's (Single-family homes usually with large lots, not condos or townhomes). However, if you have elementary school children, that will buy you into Cambridge Elementary's attendance area (API 795 out of 100). For a little more, you can get into the Foxboro Elementary attendance area, which scores higher on the API (821 out of 1000). Currently, however, there is one home that is in the Foxboro attendance area that is listing in the low 200K's (Not a foreclosure or bank-owned).

The schools may not be rated as highly as those in Walnut Creek, but they certainly are not bad.

Alternately, you can choose Benicia or Davis. Both districts have excellent schools closer the quality found in Walnut Creek, with Davis being on par for the most part, but with less affordable housing than the Travis Unified area.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
It's the opposite commute direction so as others have already said, it won't be that bad with congestion. It's just the distance and bridge tolls that will add up the cost to commute...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks! I am a 24 year old, single female, so that was why I was thinking about Walnut Creek. I had heard that there is a younger population there than in the other cities... I'm not too concerned about schools and such because I don't have children. I really appreciate your opinions because I am not at all familiar with the area! THANKS!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM

11 posts, read 38,365 times
Kirwin,

I just had to reply to your message because I am a young therapist myself, about to make the opposite commute ( Fairfield to San Leandro). In addition, I am looking for a place to live that is young and safe. Like other members said, you will be going against traffic. That toll is going to kick your butt, though. Good luck with your new position and finding a place. If you have any questions about the job or the Fairfield/Bay area, let me know!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 PM

106 posts, read 581,421 times
Default WC okay, or maybe Davis?

For those who ARE worried about schools, tennis368fan knows his stuff! But since OP is not concerned about that, then WC would be a decent choice. But even though is it "opposite" commute traffic can be unpredictable and certainly expensive with the toll bridge and now gas. It depends WHERE in Fairfield you work, if the job is to the west side of town, all the better. Or, consider Davis--a happening college town if that's your gig, and commute to Fairfield. Or, commute from Dixon, a nondescript overgrown farm town that is cheaper than Davis and closer to Fairfield but still a quick hop to Davis for jollies.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM

THANKS everyone. I am leaning towards Vacaville now... any opinions on that?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwin View Post
THANKS everyone. I am leaning towards Vacaville now... any opinions on that?
Moooooo. Cute little cow town. Much better for your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland