Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 25,804 times

Advertisements

Anywhere but Portland. I'm burnt out on this part of the country. It's very unmotivating, cold, slow, etc. Don't get me wrong, its beautiful here and it's not so much that it rains here a lot as we "get less rain than Miami and Seattle".. it's the haze that hangs over the city. Anyway, I might have a job opportunity in San Francisco because one of my friends manages 2 bars in the bay area and could get me a bartending job in a heartbeat. I'm seriously considering it but the thing holding me back is the high cost of living. Does anybody know any cheap and decent apartments close to downtown? A lot of these posts don't seem to have bartenders posting but I am big on city's nightlifes. I lived in Vegas for about a year and had a hell of a time finding a good job as I am a guy and they mostly want hot chicks behind the bar or people with Gaming experience with a following of customers. I moved away because of some minor drama when a few of us got drunk one night, this girl I was seeing and my roommate went crazy on me on my brother's last night in town and decided to go back with him but this is a decision I regret besides the fact that my family is here. I really miss the sun, people, and the nightlife but I wasn't making enough money and got sucked into the whole video poker scene, which sucked. I had a pretty decent bartending job in downtown Portland (P-town) but the nazi liquor control board canned me for not having a temporary card after I paid for and passed their course and honestly got my card in the mail the NEXT DAY! The bar had cool people but the money was not good enough. San Diego is beautiful, as is the bay area, but also pricey as hell and I heard it's not what its cracked up to be and changed a lot in the past couple years. It's probably my last choice and haven't researched it too much but it looks freakin awesome with good weather year round.

Another good thing about Portland is that when it is sunny (for about a total of 2-3 months out of the year) peoples spirits are lifted and the town comes alive, everything is green and there are more things to do when its nice outside. It's totally black and white and decieving if you were to visit and decide to move there in the summer months. Then when summer is over a lot of transplants get a look on their face like 'what the hell did i get myself into?'

Does anybody know bars hiring kick ass good looking bartenders in any of these cities and want to give a total internet stranger the hookup on a good nightclub job? shot in the dark i know but that would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated, just lookin to get outta P-town. Advice for anybody thinking about moving here awesome place to frequently visit, not the place to live. I love how it is weird, has a bunch of bars, the Trail Blazers are getting better, the scenery etc. but it's not a money making town and the weather sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland