Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 15,527 times

Advertisements

My spouse is probably being transferred to Berkeley. We are in our late 30's and have 2 children. Is there anywhere in existence with good schools and housing/quality of life that is not just for millionaires, where he would not have to drive over an hour to work? I am a nurse, so are there also any hospitals known to be employee friendly? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Sure, the East Bay has lots of choices that could work. Do you know your budget yet, and will you be renting or buying? I'm not an expert on that side, but I'll throw out a few possibilities... Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Pleasant Hill, Albany, Alameda, El Sobrante, and uhhhhh?? Some of these are on the BART line, which would be really great for your husband. Traffic in the East Bay is a total nightmare, so taking transit definitely beats driving the maze!

Sorry I don't know the answer to your other question, but hopefully someone here can help.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 AM

104 posts, read 725,619 times
My friend's wife works for Alta Bates. I believe that she's very happy there. I think that she works three nights per week (12-hour shifts), this enables her to be at home during the day with the kids and hubby is home at night.

Housing? I think that it depends on what you want and how much you're willing to pay. What are you looking for in schools? Test scores, diversity, etc.? Set a limit on the home price, and that will really define the areas you can buy into. Are you willing to buy an older home or do you want a new home?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
Great point about BART, when working in Berkeley. There are some really nice and convenient places to live along the system, especially on the Pittsburg/Bay Point line and parts of the Dublin/Pleasanton one. BART map:

BART Stations

I'm a fan of towns like Castro Valley and Pleasant Hill, but I don't have any current feel for housing costs there. I'm sure they have at least some millionaires in residence. Certainly Orinda does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sure, the East Bay has lots of choices that could work. Do you know your budget yet, and will you be renting or buying? I'm not an expert on that side, but I'll throw out a few possibilities... Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Pleasant Hill, Albany, Alameda, El Sobrante, and uhhhhh?? Some of these are on the BART line, which would be really great for your husband. Traffic in the East Bay is a total nightmare, so taking transit definitely beats driving the maze!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 PM

188 posts, read 920,284 times
Lots of choices, Im partial to Albany or Alameda just for the closer commute to Berkeley and accessibility to SF. Both have older housing stock, which may be good or bad for you. If you prefer newer suburban areas, check out Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. The 24 commute isnt THAT bad, you could get there within an hour at rush hour. All have decent schools and are relatively pretty safe. Homes are probably in the 500k to 700k range, so being a millionaire is definitely not necessary. Good Luck!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM

332 posts, read 772,691 times
I like skywalker400's advice. I think Albany is your best option--unless, that is, you're set on newer-style suburbs, in which case any of the communities across the Caldecott Tunnel should suffice.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Both Pleasant Hill and Castro Valley have mixed areas and prices. I have a friend who is actively looking in CV, and it's probably one of my favorite communities in Alameda County. Home prices are quite good there now, and one can get nice home in the Five Canyons area (nice area) for a reasonable price.

The Caldecott can be a really difficult commute. If you BART, then you have no problem. If you plan on BARTing, then I think a whole other world opens for you re: housing. I live in Concord, and my downtown Oakland commute is 45 minutes door-to-door. Three neighborhoods in Concord are served by Northgate Walnut Creek schools: Crystyl Ranch, the Crossings, and Limeridge. All are great communities and are affordable.

Pleasant Hill is very affordable, and IMO a great community. I'm sure the vast majority of home buyers could find a home in their price range in PLH. Walnut Creek is a mixed bag. Northgate residents tend to be pretty stuck-up (the primary reason we didn't purchase a home there). Downtown is 'cityish' and has lots of traffic. Many of us consider that environment to diminish one's quality of life. They have had trouble with teenagers driving away paying, adult customers from some businesses. Parking tickets are a major source of the city's revenue. South Walnut Creek is better, IMO, as long as you stay away from areas with apartments. Northwest Walnut Creek residents don't attend Walnut Creek schools.

Take into consideration that east of hills is quite warmer during the summer than west of hills communities. Many people don't move east because of the weather.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Don't be too freaked out by 'millionaires.' Most Bay Area residents are millionaires simply because they own property here. My in-laws are very affluent even by CA standards, and you'd never know it. My FIL buys his Arrow shirts at Sears. He wears the same pair of shoes for years. They don't live a lavish lifestyle. Some people who appear 'rich' have less money than one would think because many people are in debt up to their eyeballs.

There is also an area of Walnut Creek called the 'grey area' which is served by Pleasant Hill Elem and Middle. Pleasant Hill High School was closed many years ago, so the high school assigned to that area is Ygnacio Valley, but because these people were impacted by the closure of Pleasant Hill HS, they have a special agreement for transfer into College Park High in Pleasant Hill. I have a friend who lives in that area and likes it very much.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,525 times
Depends on a bunch of things....

- where in Berkeley will your husband work?
- how old are your children?
- looking to rent or buy, and on what budget?
- is this a long-term move (i.e., are you likely to move again before your children hit the next phase of schooling if they're elementary-aged?)
- living requirements (size of living space and size of yard; new vs. old)
- preference for urban vs. suburban vs. quasi-rural feel

There are a number of hospitals clustered in Oakland and Berkeley; if your children are high-school aged, you might even consider living in Berkeley itself and looking for something at Alta Bates. It would certainly minimize commute time, and Berkeley has some lovely neighborhoods--but again, really depends on your budget and what you want in a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland