Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 44,421 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to see what people's opinions or thoughts were of these 2 cities. I would communiting to SF and moving from So Cal. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I think they're both pretty nice towns, but that would be an AWFUL commute into San Francisco. You have to cross the Golden Gate, which is basically at a stand-still during rush hours... then you'll have to drive through the city, unless you happen to work in the Marina or outer Richmond, and that can take upwards of 20 minutes. Unfortunately BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) doesn't go up that way, so driving is your only option into SF. I'd suggest looking at the East Bay instead, or possibly the North Peninsula, since they both have BART stations. Otherwise consider living in the city itself, or just be prepared to deal with that horrible commute every day. I applied for a job in San Rafael some years ago, and decided I would move there if I'd gotten it... driving to the interview from Pacifica (about 6 miles south of SF) took about 45 minutes, and that was at around 12pm. Anyway, sorry to discourage you, but this is the honest truth!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
I considered relocating to Marin County last year. During my due diligence, I found Fairfax to be the "least desirable" in Marin. This was for a couple of reasons: First, Farifax is the worst place in Marin to get in/out of. The surface streets get backed up with everyone trying to get on the 101 during rush hour. I have also heard that the residents are quirky/hippie-types. Not exactly, my cup of tea.

During my visit to Marin, I traveled on the 101 during rush hour. I found the 101 is generally congestion-free from the 580 bridge to Golden Gate. It does get congested on the GG bridge, but it is not unbearable.

I found Belevedere to have the best quality of life in Marin County. It is a quiet island with excellent views. No through traffic! There are no stores at all in Belvedere. Belvedere residents generally do most of their shopping in Tiburon. It is also possible to commute by boat from Tiburon to SF. The commuter boat leaves out of Tiburon harbor.

I found Marin County to be a safe, family-friendly place. The quality of life is high. The weather is great. The scenery is beautiful. The reasons why I chose not to move to Marin County-small land parcels, extreme-liberals, arm+leg GG Bridge toll, and limited upscale shopping. These are ofcourse personal reasons. I can totally see why people love living in Marin. Definitly one of the best areas to live in the USA.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM

38 posts, read 383,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Unfortunately BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) doesn't go up that way, so driving is your only option into SF.
Actually, you've forgotten the Larkspur Ferry, run by Golden Gate Transit. Also the GGT buses which serve Marin County. I live in Sonoma County and commute down to SF twice a week. When I was commuting five days per week I used the GGT buses and it sure beat driving.

It's further away, but I'll take Sonoma County over Marin any day of the week. I lived in the East Bay and South Bay for several years and just didn't feel at home or that the people were very friendly. It was all too busy for me.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Actually, you've forgotten the Larkspur Ferry, run by Golden Gate Transit. Also the GGT buses which serve Marin County. I live in Sonoma County and commute down to SF twice a week. When I was commuting five days per week I used the GGT buses and it sure beat driving.

It's further away, but I'll take Sonoma County over Marin any day of the week. I lived in the East Bay and South Bay for several years and just didn't feel at home or that the people were very friendly. It was all too busy for me.
I guess there are some public trans. options, but they just seem too slow for me! I have to agree, though, about the North Bay being preferable to the East & South - aside from the commute. Maybe I just have a warped view, since I'm a Peninsula girl, but I've always thought of Marin & Sonoma as being soooo far away...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 383,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I guess there are some public trans. options, but they just seem too slow for me! I have to agree, though, about the North Bay being preferable to the East & South - aside from the commute. Maybe I just have a warped view, since I'm a Peninsula girl, but I've always thought of Marin & Sonoma as being soooo far away...
Public transit does have its limitations. For instance if traffic is a bear, you can't just take all those shortcuts you would if you were in your car.

Sonoma County IS far away. Sometimes I can't believe that I actually make the commute. So many people do it though. I even know of a few hardy souls who commute down from Cloverdale. And I thought I was crazy.

When I lived in Sunnyvale I felt the urban sprawl would make me crazy. And life there just seemed so rushed and neon. Having been raised in a small Sonoma County town and college in Chico, the bright lights of the city were too much, lol.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 24,861 times
I just thought I'd mention that I rate Farifax as being one of the "most desirable" places to live in Marin. I don't know if I'm one of the "quirky/hippie-types" or not, but I've found the people there to be really friendly. If you love mountain biking it is certainly the place to be. I really like San Rafael as well, and it's right on the freeway, so that makes it a little more convient. It's far more affordable than other parts of Marin, especially those to the south. The 101 is a nightmare though, so don't forget to factor that in. Another downside is the lack of public transport in the north bay.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 28,516 times
You didn't mention if you are single or family, or if you're looking for an apartment or a home. I live in the Bret Harte Neighborhood in San Rafael, and I can tell you about it.
The Bret Harte Neighborhood is a wonderful neighborhood. It's within walking distance to Downtown, and close to the freeway for an easy commute. The neighborhood consists of young families and seniors who have lived in their homes for years. It's a ratio of 50/50 young and old. As the seniors leave, young families move in. You always see people taking walks around the neighborhood. The neighbors are very friendly with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland