Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmmert View Post
FHA limits are something like 70% of the average purchase price on homes in the county. In Martinez, the homes are cheaper than average as the same county includes San Ramon and all those places closer to San Fran and Oakland. Being on the cheap side of the county makes the FHA limits very attractive.

In Benicia, you're in the most expensive city in the county as it's a different county on that side of the bridge. Suddenly FHA limits don't do much for you.
Do most people even get FHA loans? I haven't had one since 1977, every loan I've gotten since has been conventional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh please...Vallejo is not that bad and there are two major grocers in Benicia, Raley's and Safeway. And to get to Costco or a Walmart Superstore you need to drive to Fairfield, there is only a Vallejo Neighbohood Market and no Costco in Vallejo.
"Not that bad" is not a real statistic. Vallejo compared to other cities in the North Bay has the highest amount of violent crime, that's an actual statistic.

I didn't realize Vallejo didn't have a Costco anymore, if that's true, it doesn't surprise me. The town has one of the highest unemployment rates in the Bay Area.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
"Not that bad" is not a real statistic. Vallejo compared to other cities in the North Bay has the highest amount of violent crime, that's an actual statistic. I didn't realize Vallejo didn't have a Costco anymore, if that's true, it doesn't surprise me. The town has one of the highest unemployment rates in the Bay Area.
I know a great deal about Vallejo and it has a high crime rate, but you are exaggerating when you start claiming people would be in danger shopping there, that's just silly.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I know a great deal about Vallejo and it has a high crime rate, but you are exaggerating when you start claiming people would be in danger shopping there, that's just silly.
I never said people would be in danger while shopping. I simply said people in Benicia would be forced to travel to a high crime city like Vallejo for many of their errands. That's a factual and true statement. Many people would not like to do that on a daily basis regardless of the actual chance of being a victim of crime.

But thanks for being truthful about Vallejo's high crime, I appreciate your honesty (finally).

Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I never said people would be in danger while shopping. I simply said people in Benicia would be forced to travel to a high crime city like Vallejo for many of their errands.
And once again, it's a silly remark to make given that the violent crime rate in Vallejo is 1/2 that of Oakland and I don't think there are too many people who have panic attacks at the thought of shopping or visiting that city.

U.S. crime drops again, but gains uneven in Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle

Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
And once again, it's a silly remark to make given that the violent crime rate in Vallejo is 1/2 that of Oakland and I don't think there are too many people who have panic attacks at the thought of shopping or visiting that city.

According to your own statistics, Vallejo has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the state for cities over 25,000 in population. Are you trying to prove me right?

Thanks?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
According to your own statistics, Vallejo has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the state for cities over 25,000 in population. Are you trying to prove me right?
Thanks?
I don't want to fight with you, this is silly. I compared Vallejo with Oakland sorry if you missed that. And I was wrong, there is still a Costco in Vallejo, not sure why I confused it with Walmart which moved out of Vallejo around 2008

Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM

I don't see this as a fight, sorry if you see it that way. I'm simply trying to stick with the facts, people can make their own decisions based on that.

Your logic seems to be, "Vallejo is not as bad as Oakland, so don't worry." You own statistics show that Oakland and Vallejo are both #1 and #2 on the violent crime rate list, so that logic would seem suspect at best.

I think most people would think that having to travel for errands into a city with the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the whole state as a negative (slight to major depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing). That was my only point.

People being in "danger" while shopping, or any other tangents you started bringing up were implied by you internally. But the fact that you admitted you were wrong sort of makes up for that a little. So I commend you.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:02 PM

520 posts, read 611,435 times
Quote:
Your logic seems to be, "Vallejo is not as bad as Oakland, so don't worry." You own statistics show that Oakland and Vallejo are both #1 and #2 on the violent crime rate list, so that logic would seem suspect at best.

I think most people would think that having to travel for errands into a city with the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the whole state as a negative (slight to major depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing). That was my only point. )
2nd highest in the Bay Area, not the state. Bad either way, but wanted to correct this since you said the same thing twice.

Anyway, I don't think much of the crime in Vallejo goes down at Costco. Same thing with the Richmond Costco, which gets plenty of shoppers from Berkeley, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
2nd highest in the Bay Area, not the state. Bad either way, but wanted to correct this since you said the same thing twice.

Anyway, I don't think much of the crime in Vallejo goes down at Costco. Same thing with the Richmond Costco, which gets plenty of shoppers from Berkeley, etc.
You're right, 2nd worst in the Bay Area (not California).

I also wouldn't expect most people to get robbed or be a victim of crime by going to Costco or Target, but I also wouldn't want to test that theory on a daily basis if I could live elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland