Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 AM

87 posts, read 411,251 times

Advertisements

San francisco is a very walkable city.I myself have walked from union square to pier 39 and the embarcadero many times very easy to get around natives arent as nice as DOwn the coast but its ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
I love visiting NY because my friends are there but there is NO way I would live there. What part of NY were you in?
I visited NYC once, and I loved it too. So, I decided to move there to give it a try. I lived in Spanish Harlem. Although the public transit and walking were great, it was just too difficult to get around with all these people and the really cold weather.

Last edited by ubringliten; 07-22-2008 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 19,244 times
San Francisco is definitly walkable and has a great transit system. I remember a friend and I went into the city to go see a free concert in Golden Gate Park. We ended up getting lost and walking from City Hall all the way to the end of Golden Gate Park, and almost back again. Now that was a workout!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM

91 posts, read 434,243 times
i saw this in the NY forum: "SF has no true subway system. In NY, you walk anywhere two seconds and there is either a cab, subway, or bus. In SF, besides downtown, you have to walk like 20 mins to find those fun disney looking trolleys, or walk even further to find a BART station. they're right, SF is WAY, WAY more walkable then NY!

Actually, I would put Los Angeles at the top of the list. In LA, you would have to walk about 3 hours to get to the next rail. =)"

LoL kinda funny and true.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
I definetly agree...NYC is the only other city that comes to mind that is truely walkable as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiga9 View Post
i saw this in the NY forum: "SF has no true subway system. In NY, you walk anywhere two seconds and there is either a cab, subway, or bus. In SF, besides downtown, you have to walk like 20 mins to find those fun disney looking trolleys, or walk even further to find a BART station. they're right, SF is WAY, WAY more walkable then NY!

Actually, I would put Los Angeles at the top of the list. In LA, you would have to walk about 3 hours to get to the next rail. =)"

LoL kinda funny and true.
How is it true at all? SF has a real subway, in fact it has two (Sure BART and MUNI are nothing compared to NYC's system....but that's the case for almost all other US cities' subways too). Also, no where in SF do you need to walk 20 minutes to find public transit. There's usually at least one bus stop within a couple blocks of where ever you might live, most of the time there quite a few. Also those "disney looking trolleys" only serve a very small part of the city, and most SF residents never use them. I've lived in SF my whole life, and have been on the cable cars twice. MUNI has about 700,000 riders a day, which is a pretty high number. I doubt all those passengers would be riding if you had to walk 20 minutes to get on the bus.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
How is it true at all? SF has a real subway, in fact it has two (Sure BART and MUNI are nothing compared to NYC's system....but that's the case for almost all other US cities' subways too). Also, no where in SF do you need to walk 20 minutes to find public transit. There's usually at least one bus stop within a couple blocks of where ever you might live, most of the time there quite a few. Also those "disney looking trolleys" only serve a very small part of the city, and most SF residents never use them. I've lived in SF my whole life, and have been on the cable cars twice. MUNI has about 700,000 riders a day, which is a pretty high number. I doubt all those passengers would be riding if you had to walk 20 minutes to get on the bus.
Very true! You can't compare only subways because more San Franciscans (sp) use the MUNI (bus). In NYC, you usually have to take multiple subways to get to your destination. Where San Francisco because it's so compact, you could walk 20 minutes from any muni line and be at your destination vs having to take multiple munis (if you choose to). It takes less than 20 minutes to walk from Union Square to North Beach, which passes through Chinatown. That would be like walking from Times Square to Little Italy to Chinatown, you can't walk that in 20 minutes. Subway, Bus etc is still transporation, not true walking.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,785 times
The way I interpret this and maybe why they chose SF as #1 is perhaps because you can easily walk from one end of the city to another within 2-3 hours depending on the shape you're in. I mean from corner to corner. Bay to ocean. I've done it for fun a few times.

But as far being walking friendly in general, I agree that NYC ranks higher than SF, even though I'm a native.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM

96 posts, read 309,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I definetly agree...NYC is the only other city that comes to mind that is truely walkable as well.
Look at the others in the top 5; Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia. All extremely walkable with dense, compact neighborhoods and efficient public transit. DC's definitely up there too. After these, I'd say there's a pretty big drop to the next tier (generally speaking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr
The way I interpret this and maybe why they chose SF as #1 is perhaps because you can easily walk from one end of the city to another within 2-3 hours depending on the shape you're in. I mean from corner to corner. Bay to ocean. I've done it for fun a few times.
Here are the criteria:

Walk Score uses a patent-pending system to measure the walkability of an address. The Walk Score algorithm awards points based on the distance to the closest amenity in each category. If the closest amenity in a category is within .25 miles (or .4 km), we assign the maximum number of points. The number of points declines as the distance approaches 1 mile (or 1.6 km)—no points are awarded for amenities further than 1 mile. Each category is weighted equally and the points are summed and normalized to yield a score from 0–100. The number of nearby amenities is the leading predictor of whether people walk. [http://www.walkscore.com/how-it-works.shtml]

The size of the city doesn't really affect the ranking. It's the composite scores of neighborhoods with a lot of nearby amenities (shops, restaurants, etc). SF is dense with housing and retail all the way to its borders.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Thats rediculous there are a lot of walkable cities: NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland