Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
Don't move somewhere you've never been to. Don't move unless you have a job lined up. And SF really doesn't have any neighborhoods like Pilsen (I assume that's where you live now).
Having the job first would definitely be a very good idea...Visiting first would be a good idea too, just to get a feel for the city, and see if it's the right place. I would make a guess though that coming from Chicago, SF would feel pretty familiar, at least in the sense of the urban environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM

332 posts, read 772,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I would make a guess though that coming from Chicago, SF would feel pretty familiar, at least in the sense of the urban environment.
It's a bad idea to make important life decisions on guesses. And SF and Chicago are pretty different as cities go.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM

110 posts, read 376,978 times
One thing I noticed about Chicago that is different than San Francisco is that the people in Chicago are more friendly, less pretentious and far less self-absorbed than the people in San Francisco. San Franciscans tend to be phony and arrogant at the same time which is a very irritating mix to say the least.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM

145 posts, read 509,012 times
you will absolutely not find anything close to 600 a month 2 bedrooms in the city,the bay area, or even california.

most people renting rooms out charge 650-800 a month per room or even more easily

just stay in chicago where its cheap , although if your willing to pay for the incredible lifestyle SF offers be my guest

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
It's a bad idea to make important life decisions on guesses. And SF and Chicago are pretty different as cities go.
I know. I said urban environment. As in: a dense, busy, city environment. It's not like he's considering moving from some small town or even some suburban city to SF. I said in that same post that it would be a good idea to visit first anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
One thing I noticed about Chicago that is different than San Francisco is that the people in Chicago are more friendly, less pretentious and far less self-absorbed than the people in San Francisco. San Franciscans tend to be phony and arrogant at the same time which is a very irritating mix to say the least.
Speak for yourself man I hate phony people too, so I avoid them...Most people I know in SF are not "phony" or arrogant. Those kind of people are everywhere, and they can be avoided everywhere. If you spend all your time in the Marina District and Pacific Heights though, then I take back what I said, and I completely understand.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 376,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I know. I said urban environment. As in: a dense, busy, city environment. It's not like he's considering moving from some small town or even some suburban city to SF. I said in that same post that it would be a good idea to visit first anyways.

Speak for yourself man I hate phony people too, so I avoid them...Most people I know in SF are not "phony" or arrogant. Those kind of people are everywhere, and they can be avoided everywhere. If you spend all your time in the Marina District and Pacific Heights though, then I take back what I said, and I completely understand.
I just noticed when I was in Chicago that the people there seemed way more down to earth and much less pretentious. The Mission District can be one of the most pretentious parts of San Francisco for people who think they are cool. Pacific Heights on the other hand, for people fancy themselves as affluent. In Chicago I was shocked when I saw men opening doors for strangers and moving out of their seat on the train to let an old person sit down. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen out here much. Not knocking the city, I've been here for 20 years but I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Chicago.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 25,652 times
Just for reference:

1) I've spent a lot of time visiting San Francisco and the bay area in the past couple years, just not enough to learn the intricacies / prices of every neighborhood. I do know what to expect to certain extent.

2) I already mentioned that I know I'm not going to find anything nearly as cheap as my place in Chicago

3) I do not plan on moving without a job. I haven't even decided if I'm going to move at all. I'm just here to learn a little bit more about places to live if I do decide to.

4) For those who are familiar with Chicago, I live in Pilsen, and realize that there isn't going to be another place exactly like it.

Last edited by KilledByAnts; 07-29-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: added #4

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

103 posts, read 366,973 times
There's no place like home. Are you female? It might be better to stay in Chicago with family,friends and a support system. A decent 1 bedroom apt. in the City will be about $1,800 a month. There are so many great ethnic neighborhoods in both Chitown and SF. I think Japantown area might be the safest for a single gal.
We have a beach called "Ocean Beach" its not as safe, but is more mellow and fun. Good luck Ms. Ripley

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 25,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag View Post
There's no place like home. Are you female? It might be better to stay in Chicago with family,friends and a support system. A decent 1 bedroom apt. in the City will be about $1,800 a month. There are so many great ethnic neighborhoods in both Chitown and SF. I think Japantown area might be the safest for a single gal.
We have a beach called "Ocean Beach" its not as safe, but is more mellow and fun. Good luck Ms. Ripley
I'm male actually...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM

103 posts, read 366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilledByAnts View Post
I'm male actually...
Cool....Then live near Ocean Beach, North Beach (Old Italian neighborhood that is kinda changing), or my favorite The Castro (gay).Great to be young!!!! Enjoy yourself Regards Ms. Ripley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland