Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,642 times

Advertisements

I will be travelling in late July/early August from Boise, Idaho through Redding, California (helping friend move by driving extra car), then over to the northern California coast, up Oregon coast back to Boise via Bend, Oregon. I'll have my sweetheart and two daughters, 9&11, as my traveling companions. I've been scoping out campgrounds but would love any input on spots that locals would highly recommend. My girls would especially like to see the Redwoods so a recommendation for a beautiful out-of-the-way spot to camp there would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance for the great suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM

136 posts, read 549,177 times
Prairie Creek Prairie Creek Redwood SP is a great place to camp near the Redwoods. Make sure you hike in Fern Canyon, it's breath taking!
LocalHikes - Fern Canyon

One of our favorite places on the North Coast is MacKerricher State Park MacKerricher SP.
It may be hard to find a spot to camp if you do not have a reservation though. There are great sandy beaches as well as tide pools to explore. There are several lighthouses in the area that you could visit too.....Point Arena Lighthouse - Historic California Lighthouse, Museum, Lodging Wedding and Honeymoon Location, Maritime Gift Shop featuring Abalone Jewelry. West Coast Pacific California Vacation Leisure Travel, Point Arena CA, Gualala, Pt. Arena Historic
Cape Mendocino Lighthouse, California at Lighthousefriends.com
************************* ****** Lighthouse – California Light house – Point Cabrillo Light Station
You can ride the Skunk Train from Fort Bragg to Willits The Skunk Train Fort Bragg and Willits California

Okay, probably much more info than you were looking for, but that area is a favorite of ours. Beautiful and so much to see and do.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM

42 posts, read 127,828 times
california 5, All of the places you listed are great but aren't the ones at end mostly south of Arcata? OP is going accross 299 from Redding to Arcata and then North if I am reading this right. Just didn't want to get the op confused. Or maybe I'm confused.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 PM

136 posts, read 549,177 times
Oh, you are right. I was thinking north, but not that far north, although Prairie Creek is north of Arcata.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyandrea View Post
I will be travelling in late July/early August from Boise, Idaho through Redding, California (helping friend move by driving extra car), then over to the northern California coast, up Oregon coast back to Boise via Bend, Oregon. I'll have my sweetheart and two daughters, 9&11, as my traveling companions. I've been scoping out campgrounds but would love any input on spots that locals would highly recommend. My girls would especially like to see the Redwoods so a recommendation for a beautiful out-of-the-way spot to camp there would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance for the great suggestions.
Pulling a trailer to camp with, or using tents?

I'm going down to see the Grove of Titans and other stuff in a few weeks. But I'm staying at Harris Beach State Park by Brookings, Oregon, about 1/2 hour from Jed Smith redwoods. And then staying in the Curly Redwood Lodge at Crescent City.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,248 times
I suggest the South Yuba River State Park, the South Yuba River is a wonderful spot to camp alongside. Most campsites I've been to have both RV spots and tent spots. The river is wonderful to jump into as it gets pretty hot up there!

I also recommend the Lost Coast as a great Northern California camping spot. It's a bit out of the way, but again it's very beautiful.

Im not sure if these are even near where your driving route is (I hope they are ), but if they're not then I at least hope I gave you some good camping ideas for the future (if you ever come back this way again ).

Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,294 times
Things get better all the time.

My trip is timed with helping our daughter move, and her boss asked her to stay on an extra day or two.

For me, that means 2 more days at the redwoods.

Just reserved one more night online at Harris Beach State Park. And may reserve one more there, or try an experiment with some lodge or RV park around Trinidad or Arcata.

Since I'm planning to record some more Video of the groves with the largest known trees, that time will come in handy.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM

103 posts, read 367,081 times
Drive along the Coast Highway #1. Lots of places north of the Russian River. I like Jackson State Forest to camp out in. Its near Fort Bragg and may be what you are looking for. Regards Ripley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland