Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGabrielle View Post
Don't you think hurricanes are less scary? The way I feel is that with hurricanes, you get advance notice that one is coming and then you can just prepare and leave the city and board up your house. With an earthquake, you don't know when it's coming and you could be on a highway or in a building.
That is the scary part of quakes, but the statistics are still on our side! Even in the Loma Prieta, loss of lives and homes were fairly minimal, considering the magnitude... total casualties were around 250, and the majority were from the Embarcadero & Bay Bridge collapses. Sad part is that it hit at 5:04pm, which is peak rush-hour, so that caused more losses. It was also at the start of the "Battle of the Bay" World Series, as I'm sure many remember, so that caused lots of traffic too. But as long as you're not on a bridge, you have a good chance of survival. And you can't be scared by the 1906 quake, since they were completely unprepared (in terms of building & emergency services)... most of that damage was caused by fires that followed, which they didn't have the manpower to control. We have strict building codes & safety procedures now, plus a much better fire department.

Quote:
Is there a unique sound when and while an earthquake is happening or is it quiet? I am confused about that.
In my experiences, yes there is a unique sound... it depends on where you happen to be at the time, but it's usually a creaking & rattling sound. I've often thought it was just strong wind, the house settling, or a ghost (LOL) - but then I feel a shake & realize what's happening. We had a 4.5 here last year, and I actually heard it a few seconds before feeling anything.

Quote:
Also, does the ground actually move? And is that why it is hard to keep balance?
In a big one, the ground does move noticeably. One time I was standing and talking on the phone when a good-sized one hit, and I really did lose my balance! Didn't fall down, but I had to grab the sink to hang on. This only happens in (approx) a magnitude 4.0 or higher, typically...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonbaygal View Post
I had advance warning of an earthquake (a few seconds) because I happened to be watching my parrot. He got very weird and started tearing around in his cage and squawking. I thought a bug was after him. Then a small earthquake hit.
They do say animals can predict earthquakes... remember all the stories following the quake/tsunami in Asia? After the Loma Prieta, we realized our cats hadn't gone outside for about a week prior to it (and a few weeks after, probably due to the aftershocks). They were mostly outdoor cats, so this was a bit odd in retrospect! Maybe we should pay closer attention to their behavior...

Old 01-26-2007, 08:45 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Earthquakes are no big deal at all and occur so infrequently it isn't worth discussing. When you live in the bay area for a couple of months you will laugh at yourself for even thinking about them.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM

43 posts, read 206,421 times
Talking Earthquakes aren't a big deal.

Why aren't they a big deal?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGabrielle View Post
Why aren't they a big deal?
Because, as Jake said, the noticeable ones don't happen very often... it's really not something we're concerned with on a daily basis! It takes a BIG one to cause any real damage, so for the most part, they're nothing to stress about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland