Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times

Advertisements

I missed the part where there was a baby involved--in that case definitely look to Albany, West Berkeley, or El Cerrito near the Albany/Berkeley line, where you'll find other young families nearby. You can probably find a decent apartment in a nice neighborhood if you're willing to deal with the old-school 70s buildings--you can always move into nicer spaces as you have more income flexibility, but with daycare expenses I wouldn't stretch at all on the first place--you'll need the extra cash flow. (Remember that good daycare is also much more expensive here!) You could also potentially stay in those neighborhoods once your daughter starts school, which is also a plus--Richmond would definitely mean moving for the schools.

Also, note that the SF area beaches are nothing like the LA beaches. They're perfectly enjoyable, but they're often times fogged in, the coastal weather can be chilly except in the early fall, and the water isn't really warm enough to swim in (unless you're really tolerant of cold water!) There also aren't too many sand beaches around--a few, sure, but many more with cliffs or rocks along the coast. So people don't head to the beach on a dime the way they do in LA or San Diego--in case that's what you were hoping for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM

27 posts, read 119,293 times
Default Huh

I still say the Fremont/Union City area is nice and affordable (a little anyway).

Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb1ne View Post
thank you all for the great advice. When i say "water" I just mean we dont want to live Sacramento or Modesto far from the water.
You know, the Sacramento area or maybe Stockton might not be such a bad idea. Rent is much more reasonable than in the Bay Area. It's in a central location and about 2 hours or less to San Francisco to the west or east towards Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada Mountains. As for water, there are plenty of lakes in the area and there is the Sacramento River and Delta.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Perhaps Benicia? It's right near the water, safe, family oriented and not too far from the City. Cute little town. I'm not sure what rent goes for, but I'm sure it's more affordable than the Bay Area proper.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Do you know where your job/s will be? That makes a big difference, since I don't want to recommend anything that will be a horrible commute (like San Jose to Oakland, for example). If you're working in the city of SF, I'd recommend looking on the north Peninsula - Millbrae, Brisbane, South San Francisco, Pacifica, Burlingame, etc. Burlingame in particular is a great place to raise a family, and has excellent schools... that would be around a 20-30 minute drive to SF in traffic, or a 20 minute train/BART ride. Foster City and San Mateo are also really nice, but will add more time to the commute. You should also check out the East Bay, like parts of Oakland, Alameda & Berkeley. Not sure if these will fit into your budget, so you still probably want to consider Contra Costa County, which is definitely more affordable. Hope that helps!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Another thought is El Sobrante... kinda far from the water, but you're still within driving distance (maybe 15 minutes to the bay?). It's a cute little town, and I don't know much about the schools, but it's safe and affordable by our standards.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM

64 posts, read 314,583 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Santa Cruz, or areas close by. It has water. It has a beach. It's a beautiful area as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you know where your job/s will be? That makes a big difference, since I don't want to recommend anything that will be a horrible commute (like San Jose to Oakland, for example). If you're working in the city of SF, I'd recommend looking on the north Peninsula - Millbrae, Brisbane, South San Francisco, Pacifica, Burlingame, etc. Burlingame in particular is a great place to raise a family, and has excellent schools... that would be around a 20-30 minute drive to SF in traffic, or a 20 minute train/BART ride. Foster City and San Mateo are also really nice, but will add more time to the commute. You should also check out the East Bay, like parts of Oakland, Alameda & Berkeley. Not sure if these will fit into your budget, so you still probably want to consider Contra Costa County, which is definitely more affordable. Hope that helps!
The OP is still looking for a 2 bed place in the $1000 - $1200 range and that's going to be really hard to find something decent in the Bay Area - and in Santa Cruz too.

The OP hasn't mentioned anything about employment and that would help to determine location.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 AM

103 posts, read 366,904 times
Moss Beach...... Ripley

Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 42,311 times
Default coastal living?

How about the coast, like Pacifica? It's foggy + cold for the Bay Area (although still beats the pants off of Michigan) but on the ocean; due to fog it's often cheaper to live on the coast than inland. But also depends where your job is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland