Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM

53 posts, read 544,324 times

Advertisements

I'll be coming up from LA visiting family up in Marin City soon anybody on here know what the city is like or if there's anything to do there (i'm 21 and like to do the club thang).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Marin City is, or at least used to be, a ghetto.. it was the place where lots of poor shipyard workers and penniless immigrants lived. Your parents will probably know more about the local flavor than the average Bay Area resident who will never have a compelling reason to visit..

Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 PM

are there any cities nearby with nightlife and quality women?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
San Francisco, of course..

Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Marin City is, or at least used to be, a ghetto.. it was the place where lots of poor shipyard workers and penniless immigrants lived. Your parents will probably know more about the local flavor than the average Bay Area resident who will never have a compelling reason to visit..
It still is a "ghetto" - I know some people who live there, and had the pleasure of driving them home a few times. It's not Hunter's Point or anything, but probably not where you want to hang out.

And to ditto sonarrat's other answer, San Francisco is the obvious choice... you can get there in about 15 minutes by car, or ????? by bus. Not too many other hot-spots around there, unless you consider Sausalito and San Rafael to be exciting.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It still is a "ghetto" - I know some people who live there, and had the pleasure of driving them home a few times. It's not Hunter's Point or anything, but probably not where you want to hang out.

And to ditto sonarrat's other answer, San Francisco is the obvious choice... you can get there in about 15 minutes by car, or ????? by bus. Not too many other hot-spots around there, unless you consider Sausalito and San Rafael to be exciting.
Thanks i figured it was hood up there so i wasn't to concerned about that, more worried about being bored. I'll def hit up SF any recommendations on nightspots?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGR 818 View Post
Thanks i figured it was hood up there so i wasn't to concerned about that, more worried about being bored. I'll def hit up SF any recommendations on nightspots?
It kinda depends on what you're looking for... the gay hot spot is Castro St, but I'm assuming you are straight (correct me if I'm wrong!). Although if you just want some great dancing and drinking, those are fun whether you're gay or not - I love hanging out there, and I'm a straight woman. There are lots of Latin-themed nightclubs on Mission St, some hippie-ish ones on Haight, music clubs in SoMa & Potrero Hill, and generic ones scattered around other parts of the city. I'm not much of a clubber, so I can't think of many specific ones... but if you like live music, maybe check out a show at Slim's, San Francisco or Bottom of the Hill. And my roommate's favorite hangout is Kennedy's, which is actually an Irish Pub and Indian Curry house in one. What a combination! Anyway, I'll let you know if I think of any more...

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-09-2008 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Guys from SF/SV travel to LA/LV for nightlife/chicks....

SF/SV is a great working-class region, but a waste of money/effort for nightlife....rest up/save up to visit a more relevant place....

Old 08-09-2008, 08:51 PM

We might not rival LA, but I'm sure a young guy can find some fun here, for goodness sakes. It sounds like he's coming to visit family, and just wants to do some partying while here... we have plenty of clubs and bars, whether it's as good as LA or not.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the info, and yeah i am going up to visit family and just have some fun at night, just some top 40 clubs or bars with women that aren't trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland