Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,733 times

Advertisements

San Francisco is a hard nut to crack socially. I've mentioned it before in other threads, but I really didn't notice this because when I first moved to the city I moved for law school. I had a social network already set up simply by having a whole group of stressed-out classmates to bond with, and, of course, still have those friends.

It hit me full force after I moved back over a year ago. I agree that Meetup.com can be a great resource. I actually used it a lot when I moved to NYC to find groups connected to what I do. Now that I'm back, I actually head up a 2,000 member strong Meetup group (which, BTW, we're trying to weave more social events into to build community.) Anyway, there are a ton of groups ranging from professional to hobbies. Check that out.

I found a fun core of people that way, so I can say first-hand that it works.

Go to events. Funcheap has a lot fun events listed, so that's a possibility. Definitely volunteer if you've got a cause or two that you want to support.

Sports work too. Find people into it and make some friends.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm321 View Post
Just moved to San Francisco from Richmond VA and I'm about to go insane.....I just have no idea how to meet people.....help me out if you have a great idea.
In the Bay Area, it's hard NOT to meet people! Join the Sierra Club singles hiking groups, meet-up groups, swing dancing, folk dancing or salsa dancing, attend the free concerts all over the area on weekends, volunteer for non-profits-- political action groups, enviro groups, human rights groups, the UN Association; film societies, photography classes, lecture groups like the Commonwealth Club, go to the Academy of Sciences Thursday night music and lecture events, and simply talk to people who cross your path during your day, at the grocery store, in the street, at the gym, anywhere and everywhere. Get some free passes from a bunch of gyms in the City, and pick one where people are the most open to chatting. Join a sister-city committee. Read the Sunday events section in the newspaper to get ideas for the week. There are mushrooming-in-the-city groups, hang-gliding clubs, the surfer scene, hunting clubs, art gallery receptions. The possibilities are endless; there's something for everyone. If you're not meeting people, you're not trying.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM

404 posts, read 860,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
ask em if they want to smoke a bowl........seriously though.....
That's a good one! I always use to carry a few doobies with me; but in my case it was not to meet people but just to be friendly and talk with them.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

202 posts, read 531,943 times
Volunteer. Look for events for charity or causes. We have a lot of biking/running events it seems like. You're helping a good cause and being around a ton of people all day.

There are also a lot of "club" type things. It's like that movie Yes Man. Oh and take a class! Basket weaving or cooking or something. Pottery making. There's definetly not a lack of opportunities to get involved in the community.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Yep. Pretty soon you'll have lots of new friends and absolutely no free time ever.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Default how to meet people and make friends in san francisco?????

First of All I dont know how to start guyssss

I moved to SF for school I like this city a lot but I feel so lonely since I moved here. I have hard time trying to make friends. Literally every time I think ohhh finally I did find some cool people always something come up and they move to another city or going back home it just always happen for different reasons. Which is really makes me feel sad !!!

I do love the city but I feel bad of being lonely since I started living here I steel have to live here for more 2 years or so and I really want to enjoy it. I am a nice friendly lady, smart, young but for some reason I feel like I cant help it and this is how my life will be here no friend no family and nothing to enjoy.I am not that active I don't like sport, watch game, etc but I like going out for music play, museums, walking around the city explore it and finding some interesting places, I love going out for dinner or movie, go shopping. I am very easy going type of person and I really enjoy sample things. I do like to have some social life!!!!!

How can you meet and make friend in this city I would appreciate any advice you may have .

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,279 times
What you have to do is quit thinking about meeting people, or making friends, or finding a partner. Instead, spend time learning new things, such as cooking, etc., and filling up your life just with you!

I am 48 years old, and I have learned that when you fill your life with things you love, you become more confident and happy .... Which leads people to be drawn to you, because you're confident and a joy to be around!

HUGz! Jules

Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Have you heard of meetup.com?

I'm going to play trampoline dodgeball on Feb 15 with the random adventurers group. It's for people in their 20s and 30s. They seem to have fun events and the people who attend are young, happy, and sane for the most part lol. I've only attended their trampoline dodgeball events though. There is another group for 20s and 30s called the antisocialites, which also host a lot of interesting events.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Have you heard of meetup.com?

I'm going to play trampoline dodgeball on Feb 15 with the random adventurers group. It's for people in their 20s and 30s. They seem to have fun events and the people who attend are young, happy, and sane for the most part lol. I've only attended their trampoline dodgeball events though. There is another group for 20s and 30s called the antisocialites, which also host a lot of interesting events.
I totally forgot about meetup.com! They have tons of groups of all kinds!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM

42 posts, read 89,789 times
Hey, I sympathize. I've been here for about 5.5 years now and I still have trouble meeting people. My primary social group has remained the people with whom I attended graduate school.

I would disagree with the posters who suggested that it's easier to meet people in the East Bay. I find that I'm almost always having a friendly interaction with someone in San Francisco, even just a smile or a hello. There's nothing wrong with East Bay people, but they seem older, busier, more "settled". They won't stay out spontaneously because they want to get back to their families. There's this openness about the people in SF - perhaps because so many of them are recent transplants.

Meetup can be pretty good. There's something for everyone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland