Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:30 PM

186 posts, read 835,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg
THere are more than 3 disadvantages to San Fran. There is horrendous traffic and crime and everything costs more that anywhere else. THe parking costs 30 for a few hours or you can feed a meter if you can find one. Its not worth it.
The crime is small compared to any other world-class metropolitan area. Stay out of mission and tenderloin at night and you are home free. Parking in dowtown during business hours does cost alot. If you are working downtown, carpool or take public transit. It isnt THAT bad once you get adjusted. On nights and weekends, I go out pretty much every weekend and a few nights a week and never have trouble parking. You just have to sit down and learn how its done. It isnt that hard, but if you are used to the conveniences of suburbia or out-of-state places like Idaho, it does take an adjustment.

As for the traffic, I have no idea what you are talking about???

let's see how to go to downtown from the westside (outer richmond)

geary-25th-lake-funston tunnel-lombard-turn immediately onto "scott I think" - take filbert to van ness, broadway tunnel through northbeach to front/sansome/battery. 40 minutes during the worst commute time. It depends on the person, but 40 minutes through scenic SF is nothing for me.

More direct route leaving after 8am.

fulton - masonic - pine - franklin - broadway tunnel - front/sansome/battery

yet another route (somewhat busier)

fulton - stanyon- oak - cross the market to 10th st. - take mission all the way to fremont if you want

there are similar routes from any part of the city into downtown, but I think outer richmond is the furthest away.

If you live in the city 99% chance you work in the city. If not, even better depending on where you are going.

Oakland - take bart from junipero serra station
*****ula - take 280 and cut over at 92, 84, 380 or directly to the 101 to get to your job.
san jose - take 280 at 75 miles/hour all the way down to 85 where traffic finally starts.

There isnt that much traffic for an urban area. Look at chicago, NY, LA, Boston, DC, or any other major city of interest and you will see that a 40 minute commute is not that horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,005 times
Come across the bay to Emeryville. It's a small , upscale community with everything in walking distance. There are movie theatres, restaurants, shopping,the marina The population has jumped from 6,000 to about 10,000 now...
However, I did leave my heart in San Francisco...there is just no place like it.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
City-data crime index for Emeryville: 1243 (329.7 is the national average).

Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 PM

31 posts, read 298,501 times
I moved to the North Bay (Concord area) from Corona, CA when I sold my house for $780,000 1 year ago...I bought my house in Corona in 1999 and the final cost was only $290,000.

Basically, the only reason I can afford to live here is because I made a pretty huge profit from my old house in Corona.

Pros: weather, people, less traffic (than socal), air quality, entertainment
Cons: cost of living

its not that bad though I love living here wayyyy more than I did in corona.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,630 times
I originally moved from the desert/mountain area in San Diego Co. So. CA. to SF. For 3 years I worked in San Francisco, but because of the high rent and wanting a larger home, I rented a place about 35 miles away in Half Moon Bay on the beachfront. I loved SF & Half Moon Bay! Both have fishing, boating, hiking, biking & walking paths (Coastal Trail) in a variety of SF Bay areas that are connected to each other, concerts of all sorts, sports events, etc... The list goes on. Medical and dental are the best in my opinion.

San Francisco has a very different lifestyle that I think you would enjoy, but you may have to compromise.

Overcrowded, be prepared to spend alot of time in bumper to bumper traffic on a daily basis, parking in SF as awful. The salt air causes errosion on metals; your vehicle, bike, motorcycle, etc... Very fast paced and competive. Housing is very high (which is why I moved to Half Moon Bay). I recently married and sold my house that I owned in Southern CA that was pretty much paid for, but still couldn't afford to buy in San Francisco the type of home that I once had; 1700 sf home on 2 1/2 acres.

At this point in my life, I have the itch to move back to a country setting in which I grew up in and loved.

Hope this helped!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 31,160 times
You sould consider the San Mateo coastal towns of Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada or Half Moon Bay. I lived in Moss Beach for 7 years (after living in SF for 15) and really loved it. Yes, its foggy in the summer, but its very rural and only 22 miles from downtown SF. You can easily get your city fix quickly.

Housing costs have sky rocketed everywhere in CA and SF is no exception. Example I bought my house in in 1993 for 188K, (ocean view) sold it for 690K seven years later, and from what I understand, its much higher now.

I moved to Palm Springs when it was cheap, that was 6 years ago...its no longer cheap.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2006, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,500 times
I live in pacific heights neighborhood and love it. some pros are beautiful views, and everything you could want. pacifif heights is an upscale area, though. some cons are the money, homeless, tourists, and traffic on the hilltops!! if u have any questions at all be free to email me!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
The crime is small compared to any other world-class metropolitan area. Stay out of mission and tenderloin at night and you are home free.
Not true. San Francisco definetely has a much higher crime rate than many non US-cities of the same size (and many larger as well). The crime rate is even relatively high by US standards, and continues to rise. 2005 saw a 10 year high in murders, with 96 for the year. So far for 2006, there have already been 66 murders, compared with 47 for the same time last year. There were 21 murders in August alone, as well as quite a few high-profile acts of random violence by strangers against others. Between 2004 and 2005, SF's violent crime rate rose 19 percent...and it's definetely higher now than it was in 2005. There's recently been a wave of unprovoked attacks in the North Beach area, with gangs randomly attacking couples and tourists, beating and robbing them.

In the past 2-3 weeks, at least 13 people have been killed, including a 5-month old girl, 6 others have been shot, including a 5 year old boy, and two men enjoying themselves at the park (one later died). Several days ago, a maniac deliberately ran 19 people over with his SUV in a hit and run spree.

San Francisco is definetely more dangerous than it was just a few years ago.

(Also, the Tenderloin and Mission are only two of several neighborhoods that your average person would want to avoid at night. There are a few areas you'd also want to stay out of during the day...)

Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 AM

14 posts, read 68,321 times
Default SFO advise

Use BART-Bay Area Rapid Transportation and any other city transportation. Driving, parking, insurance and gas prices are to be avoided if you can manage. The other upswing to that is you'll leave a smaller carbon footprint.

What a fascinating enigma SF is.

Don't get hustled but enjoy the vast array of characters you'll find there. However, travel with a buddy when you can, especially at night.

By the way...be earthquake prepared and savvy. Have shoes and a flashlight by your bed and store some water and non perishables under your bed. Know your escape routes. It could save your life. I'm not kidding. I've been through two major quakes in California. Remember the Girl Scout Motto: Be prepared.

While you are there enjoy the many arts and visit the Exploratorium if you like science or are still a kid at heart.

Oh! A road trip to the Redwoods is a must if you're nature lover. There are Redwoods in Golden Gate Park but get to the forest to really enjoy them. Point Reyes is lovely too.

Have fun & good luck in school. You'll enjoy it.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 55,396 times
Smile great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentool View Post
might move there, could you please list some pros and cons of living there. im intersted in going to the art institute of sf, while doing some restaurant work to begin with.
great place to live, diverse and fast paced if your into city living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland