Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM

75 posts, read 99,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Unless you're speaking only of hard drugs, I beg to differ... I smoke pot on a regular basis with a club card, and I'm pretty darned "normal" - I'm a librarian, for crying out loud. Most of my friends smoke too, and they consist of a nurse, computer programmer, attorneys, graphic designer, retail clerks, waitresses, and so on and so forth.
And how does one acquire a club card???!!!! Are these places similar to Amsterdam where you have different choices...how's the quality...and what is the price? Enquiring minds are curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad420 View Post
And how does one acquire a club card???!!!! Are these places similar to Amsterdam where you have different choices...how's the quality...and what is the price? Enquiring minds are curious!
We should probably start a new thread to talk more, but here's the guy I see (Dr. Talleyrand): MediCann
And here are some more options: CA NORML Medical Marijuana Information
You don't really need any evidence of health problems, but it doesn't hurt to bring something (I brought my knee MRIs).

As for the clubs, you have a plethora to choose from in the Bay Area, and they all have a wide variety of choices and competitive prices. I have been to Amsterdam, and it's almost exactly the same now - they just check ID at the door in SF, whereas Amsterdam lets anyone (who isn't clearly a child) inside. Here's a list of our local clubs... http://www.canorml.org/prop/cbclist.html
My personal favorite is Green Cross, mostly because they deliver & have very cheap prices for good quality!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We should probably start a new thread to talk more, but here's the guy I see (Dr. Talleyrand): MediCann
And here are some more options: CA NORML Medical Marijuana Information
You don't really need any evidence of health problems, but it doesn't hurt to bring something (I brought my knee MRIs).

As for the clubs, you have a plethora to choose from in the Bay Area, and they all have a wide variety of choices and competitive prices. I have been to Amsterdam, and it's almost exactly the same now - they just check ID at the door in SF, whereas Amsterdam lets anyone (who isn't clearly a child) inside. Here's a list of our local clubs... CA NORML Medical Marijuana Information
My personal favorite is Green Cross, mostly because they deliver & have very cheap prices for good quality!
Wow thanks for enlightening me! So you could just to a Dr. and claim to have social anxiety, depression, or be bipolar? I suppose this wouldn't work for a visitor? I still have to find mine other, still deemed illegal ways

Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad420 View Post
Wow thanks for enlightening me! So you could just to a Dr. and claim to have social anxiety, depression, or be bipolar? I suppose this wouldn't work for a visitor? I still have to find mine other, still deemed illegal ways
Yeah, pretty much... and no, as an out-of-state visitor you cannot obtain a card - must be a legal California resident. Sorry, and be safe!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much... and no, as an out-of-state visitor you cannot obtain a card - must be a legal California resident. Sorry, and be safe!
I was a resident of the state for 10 years but I missed the boat on that one

Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
Downtown San Francisco is a stale Stepford wife story. Blah!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Unless you're speaking only of hard drugs, I beg to differ... I smoke pot on a regular basis with a club card, and I'm pretty darned "normal".

YouTube - Paul Revere and The Raiders - Kicks

Last edited by stars99; 07-23-2010 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
My sense why San Francisco is so liberal has to do with the high number of educated people. If one looks at any city across America, the liberal ones generally have several universities. In California even small cities\ towns like Chico, Palo Alto, Arcata, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara are, in part, liberal because they have large universities. So it is natural that a city like Berkeley would be one of the most liberal areas in the U.S.

San Francisco is affluent and highly educated therefore it is liberal.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
Hola!
I don't speak Spanish but "hey!"

Quote:
How did San Francisco become the most liberal city in the United States? When did this happen, the 1960s?
Something like that.

Quote:
SF is far and away the most liberal place in the United States. How and why do people put up with the laws and the high taxes?
None of the laws really impact me to be honest.

Taxes are high-ish, but pay is proptionately better for many jobs.

Quote:
If King Norton I was alive today, would he be mad?
Probably. Rest the old hobo's soul

Quote:
What first attracted the gays to move there?
Beats me. It's scenic?

Quote:
I have seen the Folsom Street Fair where they showed men showing their weiners and getting pleasured. (It's on the internet.)
I've never been to the Folsom Street Fair, nor do I go online to look at dudes' weiners...

Quote:
SF also has the World Naked Bike ride once a year, something I would like to be involved with. Aren't there any public indecency laws in SF?
One time I saw a naked guy on a bike during critical mass, which pisses me off. That was the only time I've seen a naked dude in SF, and it grossed me out. There are public indecency laws here; if you're caught peeing outside, it's considered a sex crime since you exposed yourself by proxy, which I think is jacked-up.

Quote:
Where did all the crazy, homeless people come from?
All over America.

Quote:
Is Height Ashbury still a denizen for drug addicts,
There are some, yeah.

Quote:
drunks,
Not especially.

Quote:
runaways
A lot of them go there and then realize it's actually kind of pricey, all things considered, relative to other areas of SF. They also realize that being a runaway teen hobo sucks and then head back home.

Quote:
and jerky cops
Not in my experience.

Quote:
like the early 90s (when I was there last.)
Things change.

Quote:
Are there still camps of homeless people right outside of City Hall?
Nope.

Quote:
Are people worried about another Earthquake in the near future,
Nope.

Quote:
especially owners of such pricey homes?
Homeowner's insurance.

Quote:
I'd love to live there, but would be afraid of having the roof fall on my head in a tremblor.
There were two major quakes in a hundred years, that's a pretty non-plus reason not to live here.

Quote:
I could ask this to people in many cities, but in SF, where in the hell do working class people live?
Inner Richmond, Outer Richmond, Sunset, Seacliff, South SF, etc.

Quote:
People like restaurant managers, cops, civil service people etc? Not everyone there is banking 100K, which is just about what people need to have a decent life in SF.
I do fine with $45k.

Quote:
Now there is an exodus of black people becuase more than likely, they could not afford to live there.
I guess.

Quote:
I was told that most of the Chinese in SF are from the south of China and speak primarily Cantonese and not Mandarin.
I've heard the same.

Quote:
Is there a Republican, Straight Person, or Evangelical in SF?
Yeah, of course. Not as many as in Houston, but they're here. Most of the city is straight. I'm straight. I'm not republican, but I own firearms and dig cars with big engines if that counts for anything.

I'm thankful there aren't many evangelicals here. When they come up and are like, "Have you ever heard of Jesus Christ?" I'm like, "No, I haven't. I grew up in a predominantly-Christian nation, in a Christian household like most other Americans, and that's been enough for me. I'm spiritually unaligned, and would never consider going to a Christian church again... the first fourteen years of my life were enough.

Quote:
Or are most of you Satanists?
I don't know any, personally. I know that Anton LeVey lived here, but that was more of a small, reactionary anti-Christian movement than an actual religion.

Quote:
Is it easy to buy marijuana in SF?
Yes, very.

Quote:
Will the cops give a hassle about it?
It's not likely.

Quote:
I would think that drugs are a serious problem there,
I guess.

Quote:
especially homosexual men on crank,
They keep to themselves.

Quote:
suburban white girls on heroin,
Oh well.

Quote:
and the inner city fools on crack.
It's nowhere near as bad here as it is in many other big cities.

Quote:
How is the drug situation there?
I think the fact that people are more open about it makes for a more sane climate overall.

Quote:
Does Nancy Pelosi do drugs? She always looks like she's tweaking on something woth those doorknob eyes and supertight skin.
Wow, that was funny.

Quote:
Senor
Buenos nachos!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
My sense why San Francisco is so liberal has to do with the high number of educated people. If one looks at any city across America, the liberal ones generally have several universities. In California even small cities\ towns like Chico, Palo Alto, Arcata, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara are, in part, liberal because they have large universities. So it is natural that a city like Berkeley would be one of the most liberal areas in the U.S.

San Francisco is affluent and highly educated therefore it is liberal.
There are holes in this theory though; San Diego has three universities and only recently became moderate after having been more conservative. Berkeley is more liberal away from the UC than near it because many of the out of state students that attend Cal are more conservative than the city itself.

Either way, I do agree that education has something to do with it, although many educated transplant from other areas and aren't necessarily educated in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland