Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 215,575 times

Advertisements

I am living in NYC now and thinking about a possible move to SF. I have a few questions.

How difficult is it to find an apartment in the bay area? Is it as difficult as it would be in NYC? Would I need to go through a broker? Can someone recommend some newspapers or free local papers that might have listings? Is there anyplace online besides Craigslist that I could check?

Also, what areas would be good areas for me to live in? I would like to be able to commute to downtown via Bart or Caltrain. I would like to be close to city life and within walking distance to some restaurants, shops, movies, etc. but would also like to have a back yard or some outdoor space. And I don’t want a cramped, NYC-sized apartment. I'm not sure if I would want to be right in SF/bay area or on the outskirts/suburbs. (Could someone make recommendations in both areas?) Is this possible in the city or would I need to move to a more suburban area for outdoor space and more square footage? Also, what is parking like? Is it fairly easy to park on the street? Is car theft an issue in most areas?

Last question: how would you (as a resident) characterize the city in terms of friendliness of residents and ease of someone fitting in from the east coast? I am single and middle-aged and I love the arts and music. I have a lot of interests and for a long time loved living in NYC but the place has changed and so have I. I’m looking for somewhere that would be a little more laid-back (and more friendly) but still interesting. Do you think that SF would be a good fit for me?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,674,766 times
SF Chronicle classified ads: San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate
San Jose Mercury News classified ads: Home - San Jose Mercury News

Rent will be a little cheaper in the suburbs than in San Francisco. And on street parking is extremely difficult in SF.

Go for any of the suburbs on the peninsula (south of SF), but skip the towns near SFO airport because of jet noise.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,256,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantraveler View Post
Last question: how would you (as a resident) characterize the city in terms of friendliness of residents and ease of someone fitting in from the east coast? I am single and middle-aged and I love the arts and music. I have a lot of interests and for a long time loved living in NYC but the place has changed and so have I. I’m looking for somewhere that would be a little more laid-back (and more friendly) but still interesting. Do you think that SF would be a good fit for me?

Thanks for your input.
The friendliness of SF was just addressed in a previous post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/4898661-post8.html

"Laid back and more friendly" is a great description of San Diego,not San Francisco!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:27 PM

409 posts, read 1,826,478 times
brokers are not a normal thing in SF, apartment management co's are though. They're a bit like mini-coop boards at times. bring cash and you'll get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland