Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
1) Incomes are higher. So housing will be more expensive.
2) The appearance of higher incomes leads many people to come here chasing $$$. The steady supply of families moving on the promise of six-figure incomes is a great example. Obviously, only so many people can do so before demand starts to outstrip supply, pushing housing prices towards the sky.
3) Resources are limited more in areas that have highly-rated schools. There's only so much Palo Alto, Los Altos, and Cupertino to go around, so you see a harsh price hierarchy based on that which affects not only high-end houses but all housing.
4) Which brings me to the next point: because of the high demand, there are lots of people sharing their housing with others so that they can afford it. And if you assume that your rent will be paid using the power of two incomes, then you can charge more. In some areas, it's almost a given that every house will have multiple families living in it.

That's the Bay Area in a nutshell.
Well said, sonarrat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I rarely feel that pressure, but it could have to do with my being a semi-native (since age 6). I've been "over it" since childhood, and have already seen & experienced most of what SF/BA has to offer - I'm sure the same goes for other longtime residents & natives. Now I simply live like a normal person in any other place, just with a nicer view and year-round comfortable weather.
I think it all depends on where you are in life. If you are a single gay man with a modest income looking for a partner, as I am.....well it can be frustrating.

It's like other posters have said...the "attractions" of living here aren't worth it if you have to penny pinch all the time. And when most of your friends are spending money right and left (whether they can afford to or not), they're always asking you to do something on the weekend that costs $50 or more (including gas plus whatever it costs to go out to eat & see a show, etc).

I think my attitude would be different if I had a partner.....then I wouldn't need to go to all those venues (or have friends baiting me to go to them) to meet people or hang out. But of course the prevailing value system among of a lot of gay Bay Area men is pretty much money & status oriented. So, they hear I have an ordinary job and they're not interested.

So I've pretty much had it with California in general, the value system, the cost of living, the perpetually dysfunctional state government, etc. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a move. If I move, I'm sure I'll miss the weather here, but that's about it.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I can understand that, mysticaltyger. I guess it does depend on your stage of life, interests, and so forth. I'm a young-ish (31) single straight woman, so I probably should be out mingling and spending more money... maybe that's why I'm still single? LOL.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I can understand that, mysticaltyger. I guess it does depend on your stage of life, interests, and so forth. I'm a young-ish (31) single straight woman, so I probably should be out mingling and spending more money... maybe that's why I'm still single? LOL.
Yes, I think the type of person you are and the stage of life you're in matters a lot. I've never wanted to make a religion out of my career or work 50 or more hours a week or go to graduate school and take on gobs of debt. In short, I wanted to live a sane life. But I don't see many people around me willing or, in many cases, even able to do that. They're either working 2 low paying retail jobs or they're in very demanding full time jobs and there isn't a while lot in between.

And yes, if you want to meet someone, you'd better get out there and do it.

I was quite happy for a while not really seeing anyone as I tend to be an introvert. But as I get older, I see I don't like being alone as much as I used to. I didn't start really waking up until I was 35.

And the older you are when you get serious about wanting a long term partner, the more you find the pool of relationship oriented people shrinks dramatically and the more likely your potential partner will be to have "baggage" (kids from previous relationships--which happens with gay men more than a lot of people realize....or they're HIV+, etc).

I guess I was really naive, thinking I had all the time in the world. It was soooooo not true.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
Default Or move to TN or Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
No kidding. You can live comfortably in San Francisco on $50,000 a year. After all, who wouldn't be comfortable in a tiny studio in a gritty neighborhood with out a car. The mortgage on my 2 bedroom, though admittedly small and older, condo in an inner suburb of Chicago is almost half the price of a tiny studio out there. Why aren't more people flocking to California? There are some attractive neighborhoods in Chicago where you can get a spacious one or even two bedroom apartment for $1000 a month.
TN and Alabama are even better than Chicago because you can get a 3 BR apartment for $450 - 600 per month. Of course, we don't have museums, coffee shops and fancy stuff like that. We got that dang good fresh air though!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 AM

139 posts, read 501,370 times
I haven't read all the replies yet as I kind of forgot about this thread but I have a new question...

I'm considering changing my major to Management Information Systems. (I'm just starting my first general business classes so I have time to change) Would the Bay Area be a good choice to start for entry level? I know Sillicon Valley is the technology capital of the U.S. so I am figuring this would be a good place to start?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,522 times
Quote:

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to CA in the near future... you mentioned that you're single.. I'm 32, single, female as well..what do you think of the dating scene there in general? Is SF the place to consider for a woman in my shoes? San Diego? San Jose? Thanks!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And yes, if you want to meet someone, you'd better get out there and do it.

I was quite happy for a while not really seeing anyone as I tend to be an introvert. But as I get older, I see I don't like being alone as much as I used to. I didn't start really waking up until I was 35.

And the older you are when you get serious about wanting a long term partner, the more you find the pool of relationship oriented people shrinks dramatically and the more likely your potential partner will be to have "baggage" (kids from previous relationships--which happens with gay men more than a lot of people realize....or they're HIV+, etc).

I guess I was really naive, thinking I had all the time in the world. It was soooooo not true.

As a single person reading this, I couldn't agree with you more!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
If you're looking for a true big city experience, the only city in the country where you can comfortably afford it on $50,000 a year would be Chicago.
Not really, I live in the Chicago area, and many people that make 50k can't afford(unless you rent) to stay in the best & safest neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Hyde Park, or any other really good neighborhood. 50k in Chicago nowadays is going to put you in a mediocre neighborhood or suburb.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
I am amazed at these responses. Maybe that is because I am 28, living on $48,000/yr, and I'm doing just fine in San Francisco.

The key? Ditch the car. Commute with transit and get ZipCar or CityCarShare if you need a car from time to time. If you move to a central, middle-income neighborhood - Lower Nob Hill, Mission, Polk Street and Inner Sunset come to mind - you can get a decent studio for under $1200. And you will be close to transit. I pay $1000 for a tiny studio on Post x Jones and it's a ten minute walk to the MUNI train and BART, and two blocks from Union Square. This is not some rent-control miracle, I haven't even finished the first year's lease yet.

Cars take away from your quality of life in a dense city, they don't add to it. If you think you will end up working in Silicon Valley you should keep in mind proximity to BART (regional transit line). If you feel you must keep the car, despite the million good reasons not to, you should reconsider moving to SF. Even with a small, cheap studio in a borderline neighborhood you will struggle to pay for rent, parking, plus your normal car expenses. A parking spot can cost you from $150-$300/mo, gas in SF is among the highest in the nation, and street parking is like a repetitive, expensive nightmare from which you never wake.

One last thought - affordable neighborhoods in SF are gritty, but not dangerous. Well, the Mission might be dangerous. But the fringes of the Tenderloin (Tenderloin Heights, Tendernob, Lower Nob Hill, Little Saigon, Polk Village) are a good compromise of grittiness and cost. The Inner Sunset and Inner Richmond are remarkably safe but farther from downtown and have scarcer transit options. Parts of Haight and Hayes Valley can be affordable and close to transit. And keep in mind that apartment hunting in SF can be rough and competitive. At $50k and assuming good credit you should be a shoe-in.

In short, you can live comfortably in SF on under $50k/yr, and I am living proof.
Why would anyone *want* to live this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland