Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,395 times

Advertisements

Hi--

I realize this a variation of a common thread (and I've looked at old posts) -- but can anyone give me an idea of where to live and the commute times for a couple in which one person is working in the city, and the other in San Jose near the airport? Would Belmont be roughly 30-40 minutes each way? Is worse than that typically?

Also, how realistic is public transportation -- especially if either one of us has unpredictable work schedules?

Thanks in advance,
Lore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 AM

30,308 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Belmont and San Carlos would both be about mid-way, and not too bad of a commute... do you know if the jobs will be off highways 101 or 280? That can make a real difference, because it takes a while to get from one to the other. Traffic is also much lighter on 280, so it's preferable to live around that part. I used to live in Belmont Hills, right off Alameda de las Pulgas & Ralston Ave... we had access to highways 101, 280 & 92, all within a short drive. So if you're looking for something in the middle, that's a good place to consider! It's really safe and quiet, and prices are reasonable by our standards. You could also go as far north as San Mateo, which would favor the San Francisco commute - or south to Redwood City & Menlo Park, which would be easier to San Jose. These are all nice areas, with the exception of east Redwood City & the Shoreview neighborhood in San Mateo.

As for the actual commute time... from Belmont & San Carlos, I'd say 45-50 minutes to San Francisco, and about 40 minutes to San Jose. But traffic can be unpredictable, especially on the Northbound-101 afternoon commute!! Public transportation is pretty awful on the Peninsula, with CalTrain being your only real option - and it's SLOW with a capital S. For the San Francisco commute, I guess you could drive to Millbrae & take BART into the city, but that won't save much time. Anyway, hope this helps!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 AM

30,308 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Oh wait, I just noticed one of you will be working around SJ's airport... that's off highway 101/87, so I suppose it would be smart to live on that side. Belmont Hills and San Carlos would still be pretty convenient, though.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,395 times
Thanks -- that is a really helpful reply. As you guessed, the one job in SJ is pretty close to the 101. It sounds doable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland