Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM

277 posts, read 882,187 times

Advertisements

Dear Readers,

If you are happily employed (or unhappily employed), please share any strategies that you used to find a job during a tough time like this one.

It seems our country just experienced the worse financial crisis since the great depression; however, people survived the great depression too.

Each field will be affected differently. For example, I am in the legal field and government agencies may lay off attorneys since the CA budget cut their funding. So I better think of a plan B. However, what about you all in H.R. or Financial planners. It seems that you may have to change fields when unemployment increases. Am I wrong?

The media would rather continue with the scare tactics than just explain here is how people make it through tough times. I mean not everyone can move in with their parents.

Tips?

*Also, if you opinion is that San Francisco dwellers don't have to change their job search tactics because the economy here is solid, chime in too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
Dear Readers,

If you are happily employed (or unhappily employed), please share any strategies that you used to find a job during a tough time like this one.

It seems our country just experienced the worse financial crisis since the great depression; however, people survived the great depression too.

Each field will be affected differently. For example, I am in the legal field and government agencies may lay off attorneys since the CA budget cut their funding. So I better think of a plan B. However, what about you all in H.R. or Financial planners. It seems that you may have to change fields when unemployment increases. Am I wrong?

The media would rather continue with the scare tactics than just explain here is how people make it through tough times. I mean not everyone can move in with their parents.

Tips?

*Also, if you opinion is that San Francisco dwellers don't have to change their job search tactics because the economy here is solid, chime in too.
Point 1 -- Learn. In your job, you use a certain skill set. Learn a new one. Back when I worked at the bank, I was a teller -- but they could put me anywhere in the place, and I knew what to do. Because when it was dead at the teller counter, I went up to bookkeeping and helped out. When I needed full time work after my husband's lay off, I went to the Note Department and learned that stuff. The more stuff you know about where you work, the more valuable you become as an employee.

Even if your place closes, those people that are also let go find jobs at other places and you can network in.

Which brings me to point 2 -- work hard. I know people always say they work hard, but in my 13 years experience in banking, a lhole lot of people worked really hard to make it look like they were working hard. Working hard means working smart. And working smart means you have more time to learn -- see point 1.

Point 3 -- stay out of office politics. No one ever wins. All the time you are spending dealing with the office crap is less time you are dealing iwth point 1.

Point 4 -- live below your means. Right now -- make up a workable budget. Look at your "emergency fund" (I hate that word -- I like wealth builder account, but you get my drift). You need at LEAST 3 months living expenses. Six months is better, if you can sock away a year -- more power to you.

If you don't have this, start putting it away.

If you are up to your eyeballs in debt -- start cutting. Bare bones black belt frugality time. Cut cut cut cut cut.... cable, internet, land lines, eating out, eating high end, prepared foods, alcohol.... no more. No buying the new clothes no fun shopping... Keep chipping away that debt -- AND SAVE at the same time.

In all the times we've faced a possible financial crisis from a job loss, my husband and I have stepped up to the plate and ended up in a better financial place than before.

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Tallysmom,

Thanks, I completely agree with your tips. Those that have jobs can definitely apply your advice.

Dear friends, please share how you will change your job search strategies during this time.

For example, I just finished law school, and I have to find a job now which may be the worst year to be unemployed. So I'll be following the advice under point 1 to keep in touch with those "let go find jobs at other places and you can network in."

Is it just me or is becoming more difficult to network into organizations? People seem to be tip-lipped about were new jobs are, or how to approach new opportunities. I think people have less time to proof-read your cover letter when they are afraid of being let go too.

Gloria Gaynor ...."I will survive"

Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
What about internships, community legal clinics and pro-bono work get your name out there...

People always need legal advice.

Back in 1982 unemployment was also very high... I never thought about going into the medical profession with my engineering degree... Industry was laying off engineers left and right and Hospitals were hiring

Look outside the box... Legal expertise and skill is applicable everywhere.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 AM

595 posts, read 2,301,723 times
I took a job no one else wanted: School Bus Driver, 16.89/hour +Kaiser. I was hired after one interview, and received free paid training.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,073,278 times
Things are bad, but not that bad. Unemployment is around 6% compared with 25% during the Great Depression. It's not like we're going to start eating each other.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Arrow CA unemployment is 7.7%

Thanks, barryhussein. That is the sort of useful "tip" that is specific and helpful. People are so vague. They say "be creative". But I bet if their family member were unemployed, they would reveal some useful information, like you just did.

Ultrarunner, that is exactly how I feel. People always need legal advice. Attorneys have specialties now. Generalist handle divorces and taxes barely exist any more. I just finished law school, and the firm are recruiting people with experience in their specialty since the competition is high. I mean experience beyond internships in law school. Also, my experience is in criminal law and the jobs are being cut there because of the CA budget.

Competition is very high for every creative solution alternative career path right now when competition is high for attorneys and alternative careers for attorneys. Also, this alternative career would have to allow me to pay off my student loans too.

Why Pro Bono doesn't help
Also, pro bono won't help me now, it is volunteer advice and I have to pay bills now. Also, legal employers don't hire law school graduates for internships, most of them are volunteer internships anyway. The competition everything is cut throat.

The nation's most volatile market.
Sonarrat, you don't have to eat your family is not advice on how to find a job in a "bad, but not that bad" economy. Why not offer tips.
Also, the unemployment rate in CA is 7.7%.
Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page

Does any have any more concrete tips on how to find a job in this economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland