U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 PM

30 posts, read 90,195 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

Narrowing my search to San Mateo / Redwood City.

How do you think, does $1500 for two bedroom apartment in a nice (mean: not stinking complex with **** roaches and stuff :-) complex sound reasonable and realistic?

I am considering San Mateo and Redwood City. Craigslist does not really show too many 2 bedrooms in this price range for San Mateo, but there are few in Redwood City. How "Deadwood City" is really dead?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,983,567 times
It doesn't really matter what the location is - the nicest complexes are going to cost a lot more than $1500 for a two-bedroom, even the ones right on El Camino Real in RWC. I lived in a cheapo apartment at Jefferson & Alameda de las Pulgas. I didn't enjoy the place because it was poorly insulated & maintained and had noisy alcoholics in both of the lower units, but there was something about the area that was totally "mom and apple pie." It always smelled faintly like a fireplace, American flags were displayed proudly, pride of ownership was evident even in humble homes on small lots. Oh, and there were lots and lots of lifted pickups and motorcycles around too.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It doesn't really matter what the location is - the nicest complexes are going to cost a lot more than $1500 for a two-bedroom, even the ones right on El Camino Real in RWC. I lived in a cheapo apartment at Jefferson & Alameda de las Pulgas. I didn't enjoy the place because it was poorly insulated & maintained and had noisy alcoholics in both of the lower units, but there was something about the area that was totally "mom and apple pie." It always smelled faintly like a fireplace, American flags were displayed proudly, pride of ownership was evident even in humble homes on small lots. Oh, and there were lots and lots of lifted pickups and motorcycles around too.
Not too promising... :-) Is it unsafe? Should I reconsider something down south, may be Mountain View/Palo Alto? or even down to San Jose?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:13 AM

No, it's not unsafe. It's just a little annoying if you're expecting a liberal, green, ecologically sustainable kind of attitude. San Mateo has areas like that too, like Parkside and certain blocks of Hayward Park, but for the most part the town has a subtler charm and character to it.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:18 AM

I understand that $1500 cannot really buy you much of an apartment... Just want safe place with nice people, not selling @#%, that's it.

Where should I better point my search? At this moment I see that for me San Mateo and Redwood City work the best, as they are in the "middle", almost same distance to SF and SJ, which is nice for me. They are both pretty "big" for suburbs, with own downtowns, which is nice. Still in doubts if I'll be able to get 2bdr for $1500...

so may be it's better to look for San Bruno or South San Francisco? Are they okay? Safer? More chances to find something for my needs and in my price range? Close to SF is okay, and even better for me...

But at this moment the only place I am sure for $1500/2bdr is San Jose, there are few nice apartment complexes there leasing in this price range, which I checked out and they seemed perfectly fine.... But SJ is heck too far from SF...

Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 AM

I live in South San Francisco, and spend a lot of time in San Bruno as well. They're not bad, but they don't really sound like what you're looking for either, since you're looking for big-city amenities. Northern San Mateo County is a rather insular, self-sufficient kind of area which doesn't have much in common with any of the areas around it. I'd say your idea of San Mateo is on the right track.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 AM

802 posts, read 2,191,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inrila View Post
Not too promising... :-) Is it unsafe? Should I reconsider something down south, may be Mountain View/Palo Alto? or even down to San Jose?
Mountain View and Palo Alto would be more expensive than San Mateo or RWC. I doubt that you would be able to land a nice 2BR for $1500/month.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:25 AM

3,708 posts, read 14,156,327 times
I doubt that you will find a 2 bedroom apt for $1500 on the mid peninsula. However, take a look at Belmont and San Carlos (between San Mateo and Redwood City). Both are nice, safe towns. Check out Apartment for rent in San Carlos, CA 94070 — 2 Bed $1,565/month — ApartmentHunterZ.com (http://www.apartmenthunterz.com/details/44554395.html - broken link) for 2/bd apt in San Carlos. Chestnut St. is a nice neighborhood and is a 2 to 3 block walk to the Caltrain station and downtown San Carlos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland