Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times

Advertisements

The Indian Valley Campus(Novato) in primarily auto shop/industrial arts and nursing/medical, it does offer a few other classes, but for the most part, general education is at the Kentfield campus.

As far as traffic goes, I live in San Rafael(Marinwood) and it often takes me 1/2 hour to get to work in Kentfield, I am only on the highway for about 5 miles. The traffic is bad. From Sonoma, it would be like waiting in line at a drive thru, behind 1000 cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 PM

34 posts, read 166,374 times
If your husband is going to be working in San Rafael, Sonoma would be well over an hour to commute from. Novato has some really great nieghborhoods, and has more of a "small community" feel than the other towns in Marin. I work within a mile or so of the campus in Kentfield and it takes roughly 40 minutes from where I live in the southern most end of Novato. However, the new carpool lane in San Rafael should be opening in the next couple of months so traffic should get a little better. Also, the Golden Gate Transit bus lines are great in Marin County with many ways to get to the Kentfield Campus of CoM from Novato. The busline also runs from Santa Rosa to San Francisco. You and your daughter could hop on the 80 in Novato and go to downtown SanFranciso for about 10 bucks. Or you could drive to Larkspur and take the Ferry over to the Ferry Building which, as someone previously mentioned, has a GREAT farmers market. All of the farmers markets in this area are wonderful.
About earthquakes, I was born and raised in the Central Valley of California and have only lived in Novato about 7 years. In my time here, I have slightly felt just one earthquake. That's not saying that it can't happen, but I would much rather live here with the possiblility than with the certainty of hurricanes and tornado's that other parts of the country have.
My family and I love Novato and have never regretted coming here.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 AM

12 posts, read 47,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
I've lived in Oregon, Michigan, California (both Bay Area and Los Angeles) and am currently in...sigh...Omaha Nebraska (and let me tell ya, as a fellow vegetarian, there is nothing to eat in Omaha)! I would give almost anything to be back in the Bay Area. I love it, and see it as my home.

I lived in California for a total of 13 years and only felt one earthquake (I was not here for the '89 Loma Prieta nor 94 Northridge quakes). It was a bit odd, but one nice thing about earth quakes is there is no tension/fear buildup beforehand like there is for hurricanes and tornados.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that the Bay Area has wonderful farmers markets. The ones in North Bay are in Novato, San Rafael, Petaluma, Sonoma, Napa and Santa Rosa. There is a great one in San Francisco on Saturdays at the Ferry Building.

Marin Farmers Market
Sonoma County and Surrounding Area Farm Markets (http://www.farmtrails.org/farm_markets.html - broken link)

Sonoma county also has a great program called Farm Trails (I love it!) where you can drive around to local farms and buy right from the source. They have a really great list (with map) accessable from the second website above.

Glad to be of help.
Well Stacy from Cali,

Again, I am very greatful for all your help. I hope you get to go "home" to Cali soon. I am not putting down Nebraska, but what brought you there? I have lived in many states, but I don't know that I would have considered Nebraska (brrrr). Thanks Again for all the valuable info.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The Indian Valley Campus(Novato) in primarily auto shop/industrial arts and nursing/medical, it does offer a few other classes, but for the most part, general education is at the Kentfield campus.

As far as traffic goes, I live in San Rafael(Marinwood) and it often takes me 1/2 hour to get to work in Kentfield, I am only on the highway for about 5 miles. The traffic is bad. From Sonoma, it would be like waiting in line at a drive thru, behind 1000 cars!
Thanks for the school info, ecvMatt. Seems commute time is tough there!!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarb View Post
If your husband is going to be working in San Rafael, Sonoma would be well over an hour to commute from. Novato has some really great nieghborhoods, and has more of a "small community" feel than the other towns in Marin. I work within a mile or so of the campus in Kentfield and it takes roughly 40 minutes from where I live in the southern most end of Novato. However, the new carpool lane in San Rafael should be opening in the next couple of months so traffic should get a little better. Also, the Golden Gate Transit bus lines are great in Marin County with many ways to get to the Kentfield Campus of CoM from Novato. The busline also runs from Santa Rosa to San Francisco. You and your daughter could hop on the 80 in Novato and go to downtown SanFranciso for about 10 bucks. Or you could drive to Larkspur and take the Ferry over to the Ferry Building which, as someone previously mentioned, has a GREAT farmers market. All of the farmers markets in this area are wonderful.
About earthquakes, I was born and raised in the Central Valley of California and have only lived in Novato about 7 years. In my time here, I have slightly felt just one earthquake. That's not saying that it can't happen, but I would much rather live here with the possiblility than with the certainty of hurricanes and tornado's that other parts of the country have.
My family and I love Novato and have never regretted coming here.
Joebarb,

I hope to feel the same way about living there. I have lived in 9 states so far and with the exception of two, I have yet to find a place where I would call home. Thank You for your input, it was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland