Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,664 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

I'm taking a job with a company in Pleasanton and will be relocating to the bay area, I'd appreciate any insight on where one of my demographic might enjoy living as I'm not that familiar with the east bay area and want to stay close to pleasanton. I tell you a bit about myself:

Marital Status: Single
Children: 1 does not live with
Hobbies: Cycling, Boating, Hiking, Hanging out at parks
Social likes: Live music and good food, hangon out w/friends and playing my sax, pretty girls (hehe)

I'd like a place with a view of the mountains, somewhat of a social dynamic, community scentric, and a place with a good spirit about it. I am sinlge but not in the "scene" but would like to have options.

A Buddhist mosque close by would be nice, but not a show stopper...

Thank you in advance for your insight...

Spyder Taylor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
To be perfectly honest, the Pleasanton area isn't the most "exciting" place to live, for a single 30-something - which I am too, but female. I'd suggest heading north a bit, to Oakland or Berkeley, which are both pretty cool towns. Berkeley in particular might be up your alley, since it has a vibrant music & social scene. I'm not familiar enough to suggest specific neighborhoods, so hopefully somebody else can help with that... all I know is to avoid East Oakland, LOL. These cities are both within a reasonable commute to Pleasanton, especially if you take BART, which is my suggestion. Check on www.bart.gov for routes and schedules, to see what works for you. If you're really stuck on living close to Pleasanton, that's a pretty nice town itself, but very "suburbia" & sorta dull. Dublin's okay too, and Hayward/San Leandro is a bit on the "ghetto" side, but not horrible either.

As for your hobbies, those can be done just about anywhere in the Bay Area. Plenty of bike & hiking trails in the East Bay, and for a real challenge, try hiking up into the hills east of Berkeley/Oakland. Can't say I've done it myself, but just driving up those hills (especially in my manual 5-speed) is tiring enough! You can probably find water activities around the bay (Lake Merrit & Alameda?), or head either direction for the ocean & Central Valley rivers. Finally, I don't know if there's a Buddhist mosque, but I'd say HIGH likelihood in any north-East Bay town... considering the large Asian population & hippie culture, it just seems logical. I'll go see if I can find anything on that, but off-hand I'd guess you'll find them in Berkeley, Alameda, and certain parts of Oakland or San Francisco. Anyway, hope this helps a little!

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-19-2007 at 02:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Here's some info. on the Buddhist Mosques nearby... btw, I've always said that if I weren't so happy being Jewish, I'd convert to Buddhism. I just love their beliefs and philosophies on life!

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/baycenters.html (wow, there are tons!)
http://www.kadampas.org/
http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys2/sfbaydir.htm
http://www.sfbayaxis.com/meditation_zen_centers.html

Old 03-05-2007, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 9,664 times
Hi Gizmo980,

I can't tell you how thankful I am for your input and time helping me out with this, you're a blessing! I was just out last week to have a look around and do another round of interviews, I concur with all you've said from my observations, sorry it's taken so long to reply, but I've been busy as h_ll :-).

BTW...if I weren't so happy being Buddhist, I'd marry Jewish and convert...I respect your religion a great deal as well...hey, I'll keep you posted on my progress, if something comes up that you think might be of interest to me please forward along if you mind, you can also send me email to dtaylor7@gmail.com. Thank you again Gizmo, you rock!

Warm Regards,

Spyder

Last edited by Spyder07; 03-05-2007 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: edits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland