Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 38,136 times

Advertisements

Livermore seems like a good place to live ... if there wasn't the issue with the traffic. Does anyone know how likely it is that this might change anytime soon?

For instance - I know that there is talk about extending BART to Livermore. Has anything been officially planned? And if not, when might that happen?

Or is there talk about adding another lane to 580 by any chance? Does anybody know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I don't think there are any official plans to extend BART eastward past Pleasanton. First in the pipeline is the Antioch extension, then possibly San Jose. They are widening the 205, but that should only make the Altamont Pass even heavier. Now that I think about it, I do remember hearing about a plan to add an extra lane onto 580 in that area.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times
It's talked about, but not in any real terms yet, and as sonarrat noted, several other extensions are ahead of it in line. (Watch the election results; if Santa Clara voters approve Measure B to raise money to operate the Warm Springs/San Jose line, it's pretty definitely next.) Also remember that even those things being planned now (eBART through Antioch, San Jose extension, etc.) are still ten years out at least---when you say "soon," how soon do you mean? I'd guess that we might see a Livermore extension by 2025 or so.

The good news is that there is a new lane under construction as we speak for 580 eastbound, though. It's a carpool/toll lane, so if you arrange a carpool or are willing to pay a toll to use it, it could help you out when it's done in 2010.

Finally, don't forget about the ACE train. It does get you to BART from Livermore, though it's a bit cumbersome.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
It's talked about, but not in any real terms yet, and as sonarrat noted, several other extensions are ahead of it in line. (Watch the election results; if Santa Clara voters approve Measure B to raise money to operate the Warm Springs/San Jose line, it's pretty definitely next.) Also remember that even those things being planned now (eBART through Antioch, San Jose extension, etc.) are still ten years out at least---when you say "soon," how soon do you mean? I'd guess that we might see a Livermore extension by 2025 or so.

The good news is that there is a new lane under construction as we speak for 580 eastbound, though. It's a carpool/toll lane, so if you arrange a carpool or are willing to pay a toll to use it, it could help you out when it's done in 2010.

Finally, don't forget about the ACE train. It does get you to BART from Livermore, though it's a bit cumbersome.
I think you have to transfer to a bus first, then get on BART. So that's pretty expensive. One more thing that will help is the new West Dublin station being built, which will provide a lot more BART parking.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,707 times
With decline in real estate values, BART is looking in to acquiring land and securing right-of way for the Livermore extension.

Here's the website: http://www.barttolivermore.org/

Here are the proposed alignments:
http://www.barttolivermore.org/files...ternatives.pdf

My personal favorite is the Greenville alignment at the interstate. It is closest to the problem area (Altamont Pass). However, it would be nice to see a station at Downtown Livermore just because that is where the heart of Livermore is located. Of course, Pleasanton's downtown is located far from its BART station, but its doing fine, and Dublin is building its "downtown" with BART as a determining focal point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland