U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM

152 posts, read 855,121 times

Advertisements

I was curious if anyone could chime in on these two areas of Santa Rosa. I'm making a long term move (with children) and don't have time to really explore. I realize these are the more expensive areas of Santa Rosa.

Mark West would include the Larkfield/Wikiup areas (not really sure where this dividing line is though)

Both seem nice, but what about some pros and cons from the locals? Which is a better long-term investment? Safer? More convenient? Better grocery stores, parks, schools, gyms, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 PM

516 posts, read 1,297,168 times
Well I lived in Rincon Valley (albeit 8 years ago) and didn't much enjoy it. Granted I was certainly not wealthy, but the whole ethos of the place reeked of pretension and judgment. This is the type of place where people will base their entire opinion of you on what schools you send your kids to. That being said there is an Oliver's grocery there which is great, and it is close to Annadel/Spring Lake parks which provide a wonderful place to hike and bike. You are also in very easy driving distance to Kenwood and Glen Ellen, and Sugarloaf park all wonderful destinitions.

Also the best chinese restaurant in Santa Rosa is on Mission and Hwy 12. The veggie pot stickers are seriously heavenly.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM

38 posts, read 193,552 times
Those 2 areas are on different ends of town. They are essentially there own little communities. I think the pros & cons would be determined on how far your drive is, how long you want to sit in traffic, and other personal opinions. I lived in Rincon Valley for 3 years, was attending SRJC and working in Santa Rosa and then Novato.

The Mark West Springs area is further north on 101, and the Rincon/Bennett Valley is towards the east. Personally I prefer Rincon Valley. I lived off of Hwy 12 and was close to town, yet far enough away to miss the massive congestion (not saying there isn't any on Hwy 12). I looked in the Mark West Springs area, but my communte to & from Novato was long enough.

Btw Stacy From Cali, I know what Chinese Food place you are talking about. I lived close to it & ate there monthly. Oh, soo good. I stop and eat there any time I am in that part of Santa Rosa.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 PM

15 posts, read 60,982 times
Worked in Larkfield, live near Rincon Valley. Larkfield is nice if you want to head north for dinner.... but we really like living near Annadel (thus my handle) and downtown is getting better.Rosso's Pizza could be a weekly staple.

The best part is being able to hit or exit the freeway south of the 12 merge.

The Mark West elementary school district gets good reviews, although Maria Carillo seems to be the highest rated public high school other than the IB program at Montgomery.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,391 times
If you're unsure about what part of town to move to, you might want to investigate the schools your children would be attending. That might help you determine the best part of town to settle down in. We moved here from S.F. 8 years ago, and we decided that Montgomery H.S.was the best fit for our kids and moved to Bennett Valley. We did spend 3 years schlepping one kid to Windsor for immersion school, and the drive to and fro every day was rough...We do love it in Bennett Valley - pretty centrally located with good schools nearby, parks, easy freeway access and close to downtown. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,386 times
Default santa rosa neighbourhoods

Hello
[URL="http://www.greatschools.net"]www.greatschools.net[/URL] is a site to investigate and research schools by town or zipcode, so once you like an area if there is no school in that area that meets your criteria it helps narrow things down.Unless you don't mind commuting.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland