Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM

989 posts, read 5,911,933 times

Advertisements

Despite the diversity of the Bay Area, and the influx of minorities, Marin County remains overwhelmingly white. How can Marinites pretend to be so liberal and open-minded when they're living primarily amongst white, rich families? As far as I know, the only working class areas in the entire county only are Marin City and The Canal district of S.R.

The South Bay has an overwhelming Asian population while they are only present in less than 3% of Marin's total population.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 PM

144 posts, read 933,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Despite the diversity of the Bay Area, and the influx of minorities, Marin County remains overwhelmingly white. How can Marinites pretend to be so liberal and open-minded when they're living primarily amongst white, rich families? As far as I know, the only working class areas in the entire county only are Marin City and The Canal district of S.R.

The South Bay has an overwhelming Asian population while they are only present in less than 3% of Marin's total population.
That's because it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

You must be lying. Liberals are more open to diversity than you claim! No way!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:24 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,765,919 times
Maybe it just happens to be a White-dominated area? That doesn't necessarily mean they're not "liberal" or open-minded, or that they wouldn't welcome different ethnicities... unless they're holding Klan rallies, or saying "keep it White", I don't really see what your point is. I've lived in all different types of towns, with a variety of demographics - some mostly White, some mixed, and currently I'm in a town that's 94% NON-White. That doesn't mean anything about how "open-minded" I am, it's just where I've ended up for a number of reasons (school, job, housing, etc.).

Besides, a city doesn't have to be of mixed ethnicities to be liberal. Take Eugene, Oregon, where I used to live... it's a mostly White town, and one of the most liberal places I've been. Sure, there are plenty of conservatives in Oregon, but Eugene itself is practically a non-stop Hippie/Peace rallie.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2007 at 01:37 AM..

Old 02-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Oh, and maybe other parts of the Bay Area have more Asians, simply because of the types of jobs available down here... not to generalize, but the tech & medical/science industries are heavily Asian-dominant, and those jobs aren't as available in Marin. Also has to do with where the original immigrants settled, which explains why Daly City is 35% Filipino - and supposedly has the most Filipinos outside of the Phillipines itself!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 AM

989 posts, read 5,911,933 times
What about all those fighting against affordable housing projects?!
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AG9QNOQLT1.DTL

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 02-22-2007 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 AM

431 posts, read 391,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post

Marin County has the highest per capita income of any county in the United States. There are VERY expensive neighborhoods in Belvedere, Kentfield, Larkspur and Ross (and some other towns that I'm not remembering). Most of that entire area is considered to be a presitigous address to have on the upper-left hand side of a envelope.

And remember that Marin County hasn't experienced much urban sprawl because they want to preserve the wide, open spaces - in turn, that has kept new houses from being built (and they greatly dislike "sub-divisions" - just ask my boss and he'll talk to you about it forever!)

The only neighborhoods that are almost exclusively low-income are Marin City and the Canal Neighborhood in S.R. There are policies that won't let property owners raise rents and there is also subsidized housing prices in these neighborhoods. Marin City is pretty ethnically diverse. They have large Asian, Hispanic and black populations, although many of these families live in public housing. The Canal is mostly Hispanic and they usually live in apartments (over-crowded apartments I might add....)

You're right - the county overall isn't too diverse.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,278,585 times
Just because a person claims to be "Liberal" does not mean they want to live in a diverse area. There are alot of prejudice "Liberals".

Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Just because a person claims to be "Liberal" does not mean they want to live in a diverse area. There are alot of prejudice "Liberals".
Yes, that's unfortunately true too... "liberal" simply means you don't vote Republican, I guess, and doesn't say anything about the rest of your life/personality. Some people just like to use it as a blanket-term, and often in a negative way. But you're right, there are plenty of racist "liberals" and racist "conservatives"!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,667 times
Haha! I agree entirely. Growing up, I always admired Marin County for everything except its demographics. Unfortunately, despite being liberal, Marin county is basically very white and very rich. It's certainly true that so-called white liberals can be just as prejudiced as anyone else.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 25,680 times
Default Can't go home again

I lived in Marin for 16 years and I had to move because I can't afford to live there anymore. I am pretty liberal and was very politically active when I was there and we had a very diverse group of friends. You can live in Marin if you own a home or if you clean or landscape a home and nowhere in between. I resent that I can't live there and miss it every day. Now I live in a very diverse area in Texas, San antonio to be exact and believe me diversity does not breed liberalism. These prople scare me sometimes.They are bigoted and narrow minded religous conservatives of all races. I don't know where you have been and where you are going, but please don't think for one minute that everything is what it seems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland