U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,078 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have just accepted a job offer to live in the Sonoma area. I have never been there but the company will be flying me out next week to secure a place to live. I have a few questions for the forum.

1. Best place to live for around 900-1200 dollars ( I would like to live close to SF as I can)

2. How is the night life in Sonoma County as I am single?

3. What would be a comfortable salary to have living in Sonoma County?

4. Anything else you think I should be prepared for good or bad...

5. I love gloomy days and I heard I will getting alot of that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 AM

9 posts, read 21,588 times
So your post was from 2007... And no replies....
I'm wondering if you will even check it 8 yrs later. But by chance you do... How'd Santa Rosa end up? Are you still there? I'm mind of in the same boat you were & no one has responded to my post. So could you answer your questions for me seeing that you should be an established resident by now.... Thank you for your time & I hope you read this.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 AM

282 posts, read 588,678 times
Let me answer 8 years later:

1. You will have to rent a bedroom in a shared house or rent a tiny studio or 1 bd apartment for that budget depending on what part of town. Forget about being close to SF unless you win the lottery or are making lots of $$$. The commute to SF from Santa Rosa or any where in the NorthBay is a nightmare of LA like sh*ttyness during commute hours.

2. Pretty terrible if you're a guy. The women are pretty stuck up, game playing & picky & have major issues and/orz a bf 9 times out 10. Many overweight girls & 49ers too Typical Bay Area issues.
SoCal & out of state women are much friendlier.

If you're a girl then dating will be better as the all the guys are always looking for a single cutie & there's lots of guys with money,style & muscles.

3. Comfortable to do what???
Live in a small apartment or with roommates, no kids, have a little spending $$$ then 40-60k.

Rent a small to medium sized house on your own 70-100k
Rent a bigger house 80-100k plus.
Own a house over 80- 100k plus big down payment of 100-200k.

4. Bad: earthquakes, fires, floods, duechebags, traffic, high cost of housing
Good: Marijuana,burritos, redwoods,sunshine, lagunitas & wine

5.Not really, Santa Rosa is extremely sunny. It does rain a good bit during the winter months & gets gloomy for a few days at a time but the spring, summer and fall are endless sunshine with some morning ,no summer rain.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Haha! You are the same guy from my other post lol.
1) my rental budget is $1800(ish) I researched that but as you know I have a place on hold in Rincon valley area w/ no a/c Brush Creek Town homes to be exact. But I'm guessing that area is no good?

I don't care to be in the mist of S.F. But would like to go there as a tourist.

2) I am female so I got that going for me. And single so YAY! (Kidding) & what's a "49er", football?

3) looks like I may have to keep my dog friendly, over priced, no a/c, drug community on my budget.

4) I like burritos & wine! And concerned about sun & no a/c still. Will I experience this crazy traffic with the commute from rincon valley to downtown Santa Rosa?

5) a raining day is more than I get here in the desert so that's a plus. What about fog? Will I at least get that? Maybe I should have picked Washington....

I think it's great that you re-visited your 8yr younger self & thank you for this. All & all the main question would you do it again? Do you like Santa Rosa? Do you want to leave?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM

Brush creek rd. is really nice. There's just this little pocket right around mission that's crappy. I just looked up that complex and its right in the crappy spot on montecito. I just pulled up a map of apartment complexes & the better ones there are Montecito pines, parkwood,acacia(nicest but pricey),oak creek apartments & spring lake apartments. I would take a smaller spot in acacia if you can find it, if not the others are all decent spots.

1.I forgot to adjust for inflation cause this post is 8 years old but anyways. $1800 can go a long way in Sonoma county if you are patient in looking for the right place. You could find a small house for rent in a decent spot for that budget but I'm not sure if you want the conveniences of am apartment complex???

2. Okay, you're in luck! Plenty of single bros looking for a good girl.
A 49er is a chauvanistic term we use in good humor meaning a girl that's a "4" thinks she's a "9" and acts & holds expectations and attitude accordingly. A little shallow but its true around here.

3. Well if you can spend $1800 you have multiple options up there so look around on Craigslist or at those other complexes I mentioned. This guy said "comfortable" which means not spending 1/2 or more of your income on rent but many of us do that in the Bay area cause we have to.
The big issue is your dog. For $1800 I could find you a bunch of sweet places in santa rosa but 90% of them in the area are NO PET Nazis!!!

4. Plenty of burritos & the best wine you can get, so youre good there!
The weather is pretty mild. It gets warm during summer & fall but most people don't have AC & only need it a few times a year. You'll be fine with a nice fan, that's all I ever had renting there. Bought a place with AC briefly & used it for a week or two a year. I would worry more about freezing at night as its 50* every night during summer & in the 30s at night during winter.

5. I'm not the original poster, I am just answering for you guys 8 years later haha.
You will vet plenty of cool, foggy mornings that burn off to sunny days. It does rain 30-40 inches in a normal, non drought winter, so it can rain quite a bit. Summer and fall are like SoCal ish warm & dry with no rain. The climate there is nice but the beach is freezing 12 months a year.

No offense to anyone but I personally don't care for the area much anymore. I was enamored by the Redwoods,rugged coast, hiking & outdoor stuff when I moved there years ago & there is also stores & stuff downtown & other towns to explore and SF of course. The truth is, the people are just kind of insular, somewhat pretentious & its hard to make real friends, other people from elsewhere in CA or the world have shared this same sentiment with me. I moved South & am socially much happier but everyone is different so you might love it.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,887,970 times
I live in Santa Rosa, not far from Rincon Valley, but in a different enough price range that I honestly don't know anything about the rentals you're referring to.

The only question I can answer is the traffic question. Traffic from Montecito to downtown SR should take you a whopping 5-7 minutes tops, and that's in "rush" hour. You won't even need to get on a highway if you don't want to.

As to the a/c deal....it gets pretty hot here in the summer but it's a very dry heat, so if your rental isn't baking in direct sunlight and has a good breeze with a couple windows open, you should be ok. Otherwise, get a window unit for your bedroom.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Traffic in town ain't too bad but the freeway is what people refer, its pretty bad during rush hour times & weekends, especially headed to SF.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:38 AM

Hmmm....I guess my search continues for a rental. I'm on craigs lists, hot pads, dede's rentals, & renascence housing pages daily...the options seem pretty slim but I will continue my search. Having a place for my dog is top priority before anything than crime (sadly), than a/c lol. They said my unit is shaded so that's a plus. How seedy is seedy out there? I'm mean I am from the Indio area which is is better then San Bernardino & riverside where I went to college. I don't want to be around that at all. I never really lived in a "big" city because I know I would not like it on all levels. At least Truckee/Donner is about 2hours for a quick get away & the beach about 30mins. I was just hoping that Santa Rosa was a little more small town feel I guess. Thank you all you the comments/advice.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,887,970 times
Have you looked in Windsor?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Its not seeeeeeeeedy like Compton, most of the area is extremely safe but that complex spot is where all the wanna be thugs, gang members & tweek heads live. It is a really trashy pocket in an otherwise affluent suburban area. Theres gotta be something you can afford in one of those other complexes I listed???? Pets are tough in that area though, that will be your biggest hurdle. Don't stress the a/c so much, haha, it's not nearly as hot as where you're from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland