Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You mean USF? It's a Jesuit Catholic school, so the school leans farther right than you might expect in San Francisco. The school's location underlines that, as it is in a fairly quiet and upscale neighborhood. It's only blocks from Haight-Ashbury, though, so it's not like you'll be trapped in suburban hell.
There is nothing conservative about USF. I attend it currently and even the father president is pro Gay Marriage, they are also doing a huge multi million dollar renovation. I don't understand people saying the classes are not challenging? Obviously some of you are college prep school educated, USF is no slouch of a school and the classes can be hard. Especially if you came from a poor public education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
Consider yourself lucky, the school I transfered to in Florida is so much harder, I miss the relaxing days. Very true about not being conservative, but you'd expect that being in San Francisco. Even on their form evaluations, they have...

male, female, transgender, other

I always put other...and wrote Dolphin lol what else could there be besides those 3?!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Consider yourself lucky, the school I transfered to in Florida is so much harder, I miss the relaxing days. Very true about not being conservative, but you'd expect that being in San Francisco. Even on their form evaluations, they have...

male, female, transgender, other

I always put other...and wrote Dolphin lol what else could there be besides those 3?!
Yeah, I went to a private high school so I thought this was kind of easy in comparison but that could also be my major. Some of my classes are harder than others but I'd say that this semester exactly half of my classes are easy and the other half are more difficult. It just depends on what you excel in and who your professor is. For instance, I do well in history and writing so my history and writing courses this semester are easy for me but I struggle with philosophy and it's giving me quite a bit of trouble.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM

50 posts, read 308,133 times
I'm a Business School alum (Finance major), just graduated back in May this year. I transfered to USF from the UC system... and let me tell you, the level of difficulty between UC schools' and USF's courses are HUGE. USF was so easy, I was able to maintain a 3.5 overall GPA barely trying.... (the same effort resulted in a 3.10 in the UC system).

Pretty much everything that has been said already about USF in this thread is what I would have mentioned as well.

And if you are considering USF because it's in San Francisco then it is definitely worth your time. You'll have a better QOL than you would at other college campuses. San Francisco is an amazing city, I didn't meet a single person who hated The City, my 3 years there.

So here's the breakdown:
Difficult Courses? Not at all, you need some effort... but you definitely don't have to bust your back to get good grades.
Career Center? It's a joke, I used them for on-campus interviews but that was about it. Their "advisors" are so out of touch with the major industries, especially if you are specialized (i.e. accounting/finance major), they just give you bad advice after bad advice.
Girl to Guy ratio? Realistically: 3 to 1, but all the above average girls (very few) have boyfriends that they tend to keep for long periods of time because of the girl to guy ratio.
Typical student? Spoiled, never worked a day in their life, has all the "in" brands, etc. There are exceptions to this, but they do not make up the majority of the student body. There is also a decent sized group of commuter students as well.
Politics? For the most part, very liberal for a Jesuit university.

It's a very small, expensive school. If you can see yourself going to a college where everyone knows everyone, it's a good school for you. Most of the upper division professors are well connected, retired-professionals that know a lot about what they teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland