Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 29,829 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home in Pittsburg to Oakley. I will be commuting to Walnut Creek. Can someone help us out with an approximate commute time we are looking at? I like to get to work early 6am. But I would like to know what the best and worst case senarios are. You help would very appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 10:41 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I googled Oakley and got directions to WC -- it says about 30 minutes. You would take 4 to 242 to 680.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 PM

152 posts, read 627,851 times
Post 30" ?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I googled Oakley and got directions to WC -- it says about 30 minutes. You would take 4 to 242 to 680.
Obviously this doesn't take into account the traffic. Factor in HiWay4 bumper-to-bumper commute traffic to Railroad Ave in Pittsburg (westbound in AM) (eastbound starting at 3 PM), 242 traffic esp where it hits Walnut Creek.

You could go over Kirker Pass between Pittsburg and Concord, hit Ygnacio Valley Road to Walnut Creek with it's 50+ stoplights, and traffic.

From Oakley, shooting for a 6 am start work time might be doable in 30-45" if .....there are no wrecks on 4; or Tulle Fog.
Your best off taking some trial drives from each place you are considering. Housing is inundating our roads from Oakley and Brentwood with an excessive amount of vehicles because of poor planning and poor mass transit.

There is essentially NO period during the day or night when there is minimal traffic anymore. sigh

Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 PM

55 posts, read 217,651 times
Not sure why you are considering Pittsburg to Oakley, but if you don't want to spend your time on the road in traffic, you might want to consider Pleasant Hill, Martinez, or Concord. All have some nice areas and would make your commute much more tolerable. Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:54 AM

100 posts, read 381,930 times
Smile Ugly commute!

Hi -- there is no way that you'll get from Oakley to WC in 30 min. in the am commute -- even at 6 am. I'd give it at least 45 min. That traffic coming over 4 to 242 is bumper to bumper in the am, even early. YUCK -- I'd take the gas $$ that I'd save and get something in Martinez or Pleasant Hill; life is too short! Good luck --

Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 27,113 times
Default Opposite commute

Anyone know about the commute from Oakley to Stockton? Also, is Oakley a good place to live? Kids are grown so that is not a consideration.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 45,854 times
Its not too bad traffic-wise because its in the opposite direction, but it is through towns with stoplights and some traffic and then on two-lane Highway 4. Dont expect freeway speeds and Highway 4 can be a tough drive in the winter when there is low fog. The time would depend on where you need to go in Stockton, but would take you about an hour to the center/downtown--more if you have to commute through Stockton.

Oakley is not my favorite place. I prefer Brentwood (if you like a town feel) or Discovery Bay (smaller more recreational feel) and the commute to Stockton would be much shorter--about 30 minutes from Discovery Bay.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 AM

104 posts, read 725,583 times
Discovery Bay and Brentwood are closer to Stockton, and are decent communities. You can get a good price on a home in those communities also.

I used to drive Antioch to Stockton via Hwy. 4. It used to take approx. 45 minutes. The major problems with that commute are accidents, with quite a few fatalities because people pass illegally. Esp. when dark and/or foggy.

You must cross three bridges to get into Stockton via Hwy. 4. The bridges older and still very narrow and the trucks that attempt to cross the bridges are very wide and often don't make it. That means waiting for the police to get the truck unstuck or go through J4.

I think once I couldn't get home because of peat fires. Hwy 4 is a small farm-type road and if you get behind a slow-moving truck, it can be frustrating.

I worked in Stockton less than a year, so these things happen often enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland