Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM

961 posts, read 2,560,437 times

Advertisements

Thanks artemis78. I think you are completely right about the commute, but DH just shrugs it off when I try to talk to him about it. DH is willing to look into getting a different job, but he is pretty happy where he is right now and gaining a lot of great experience so it really doesn't make sense.

I know Morgan Hill well and it is just too isolated and small so it doesn't have enough there to keep us interested. It is farmland too and the smell of manure isn't my favorite. Not to mention the fact that the schools aren't great since they have to focus on teaching English to a great deal of the children. I understand the need, but we need a school that is going to challenge our girls. Also, I am a ballroom dancer so I need to be close to a ballroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Does anyone know how to get in touch with a moderator who can fix my thread subject line of this post? I tried contacting one, but I didn't get a response. I accidentally put "Chicago?" at the end and it was too late to delete it.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,095,828 times
What's wrong with Monterey County? I'd take a long look at Carmel Valley before considering anything in Marin.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Can you tell me more about Carmel Valley? I only know about the Monterey & Carmel area, but from what I understand, Carmel Valley is less foggy and warmer which both sound great.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 12-12-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 AM

Nowhere in Marin County would be any warmer, or less expensive, than Carmel Valley. You (or your DH) are just being stubborn and unreasonable.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,979,076 times
Here's what I'd do: make a list of the things that you want in a community. What appeals to you about Marin, for instance? Set a budget. Consider dealbreakers: good schools, ballrooms, etc. Then make a list of the South Bay communities (include Marin cities if you like) and research each.

Be sure not to base conclusions on your impressions---for instance, while Morgan Hill is certainly not my style because it's so surburban, it meets many of your requirements at face value: several high-performing schools (higher than some of Marin's!), a well-regarded ballroom, etc. The areas with the good schools are pretty much all higher-end housing (usually developments named "such-and-such Ranch," of course ) at this point---much of that's gone in over the last 5-10 years, too. It's okay to rule a place out because you don't like the feel or location, but make sure that you've truly looked at it first. Similarly, while Marin County as a whole meets your needs, you may find that the individual communities in your price range actually don't have the stellar schools, parks, air, etc., that you're hoping for. Look at specific neighborhoods within communities---for instance, you mentioned seeing some homes in Marin selling for prices that are almost within reach, and may drop lower. Look them up---which schools? What location? Is 101 just a block away? You may be surprised. Also remember to consider commute cost (gas won't always be $1.75) when you look at housing cost. Best of luck with the hunt---I know it can be exhausting!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:03 PM

I have been looking at Carmel Valley quite a bit and it looks beautiful. Can anyone comment about whether or not we'd fit in there?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:34 PM

That I don't know. I've only ever been there to visit. You might have better luck asking that question in the general California forum.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 PM

I've looked at almost every mls listing in Carmel Valley and the entire area is on septic. We had a terrible experience with septic in Santa Cruz and vowed never to do that again. Also, it doesn't look affordable and it is too isolated; it would be an hour round trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joes in Monterey. We're used to living pretty close to any amenities we use on a regular basis including a wide array of restaurants since we eat out a lot! Back to the drawing board....

Old 12-13-2008, 06:28 PM

184 posts, read 446,884 times
Again, check out Fairfax in the North Bay area, or San Anselmo and San Rafael.

Maybe try Campbell or Willow Glen in the SJ area?

If you've written off the Santa Cruz area it's going to be tough to find everything you are looking for in 1 place. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland