Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,679 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am new to these forums so I think I'll start with a little information about myself.

As the topic tittle indicates I am a 22 year old single male. I recently graduated from college with a degree in Molecular Biology/Biotechnology at a school here on the east coast. I am now trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I know I want to go back to school within the next few years but I would like work for a few years first.

I am currently with my parents in Maryland and trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. Unfortunately I live in a rather rural area and there really aren't many opportunities for advancement in my field.

I went to San Fran for a week this past summer and I was very sad when I had to leave, I want to move out there permanently!

So basically I was just wondering how feasible it would be for someone in my position to make this happen. The types of jobs I would be interested in would be research type jobs preferable at a university. I have been looking at Job listings at UCSF and some in the surrounding areas like UC Berkeley and even Stanford. I'd be interested in doing anything related to the field of molecular biology/biotechnology or any sort of biomedical research. I was wondering what the job market is like out in San Francisco for people hoping to start a career in science. Jobs within my field don't pay the best especially with just a Bachelors Degree, Id probably be starting at like 36,000-42,000 a year or so.

If I do live move out there I'd probably be with a few friends all with similar education and I doubt any of us would be making more than say 50k a year (if we are lucky!).

So do you think 3 22 year olds can live off this salary in San Fran. Keep in mind we are all recent college graduates and used to living off the bare minimum. What I'm looking for really is just a cheap 3 bed room apartment in the city in or within walking distance to a fun area where I can meet and interact with people my own age. I guess I'd like the area to be relatively safe but I went to college and lived in a rather dangerous City so I can deal with a little bit of crime if I need to.

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,724 times
I really wouldn't recommend anyone moving unless they have a job to go to. That being said, there are a lot of people renting in the city making that kind of money. The key is that you will have roommates.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I really wouldn't recommend anyone moving unless they have a job to go to. That being said, there are a lot of people renting in the city making that kind of money. The key is that you will have roommates.
I know its a bit of a risk but I need to move somewhere to get a job so I figure I might as well move somewhere I really want to go.

My plan is to just work and save as much money as I can for the next few months and hopefully move somewhere by about August-September of 2010. I would start applying to jobs a few months before I moved out there so hopefully I could have some interviews lined up when I got out there (or possibly a job offer if I can arrange some kind of telephone interview).

I am really looking more for advice on the availability of jobs in the science fields, (academic research positions or biotechnology jobs) and where I should be looking to live in the city based on the salary of myself and my roommates.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Totally agree. If the three of you can all find jobs starting around the $50K range and don't mind living in a cheaper place (perhaps outside of the City itself), you should be able to manage.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

328 posts, read 306,947 times
It will be hard to find a job here, especially since you probably do not have much work experience or any connections. As mentioned you would be better off having a job waiting for yo u rather than just move here. Trying to find a job at the top universities that you listed will be extremely difficult unless you have an advanced degree and plenty of experience.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
It will be hard to find a job here, especially since you probably do not have much work experience or any connections. As mentioned you would be better off having a job waiting for yo u rather than just move here. Trying to find a job at the top universities that you listed will be extremely difficult unless you have an advanced degree and plenty of experience.
a lot of research universities hire research assistants with only bachelors degrees. I have checked websites of the schools I listed and they all have positions available for recent college graduates with little actual work experience (most of what I would be doing would be what I did in my bio classes or the research I did as an undergrad just running experiments and recording data and maybe writing lab reports etc etc). I signed up for a UCSF news letter and every week I read about basic science and clinical research positions I would be qualified for. I have also been checking the job listings at Berkeley and Stanford and they both have research positions available for bachelors degree students with little post college experience...like I said though they dont pay the best, around 36-42k

Yes, I agree I should try and get a job before I move out there rather than just move and hope for the best. I plan to save up money before I move (I want to move in about 6 months and I think I can have around 10k in the bank by the time I move) and apply for jobs before I move. Say things work out for my friends and I and we are able to find jobs in the 40k range could we pull off living in the city (I really want to live in the city rather than outside the city). I figure if I land a job I could afford to pay 800-1000 a month. I really don't care about finding the nicest place since I really wouldnt plan on being at home much anyway.

Is it possible to find a place in that price range, what neighborhoods should I be looking into.

Thanks again, if I can pull this off life would be awesome!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
I say go for it since you are young. However, be prepared to move back home in case you don't find a real job.

$800 to $1000 per month is fine as long as you have room mates. Don't plan on getting your own apartment for that price range.

I would look into North Beach, Marina, Lower Pacific Heights, Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, Union Square...these are expensive areas, but some of my favorite. You could find some rooms for rent in these areas for $800 to $1000 per month.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM

328 posts, read 306,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsxDcSquall View Post
a lot of research universities hire research assistants with only bachelors degrees. I have checked websites of the schools I listed and they all have positions available for recent college graduates with little actual work experience (most of what I would be doing would be what I did in my bio classes or the research I did as an undergrad just running experiments and recording data and maybe writing lab reports etc etc). I signed up for a UCSF news letter and every week I read about basic science and clinical research positions I would be qualified for. I have also been checking the job listings at Berkeley and Stanford and they both have research positions available for bachelors degree students with little post college experience...like I said though they dont pay the best, around 36-42k

Yes, I agree I should try and get a job before I move out there rather than just move and hope for the best. I plan to save up money before I move (I want to move in about 6 months and I think I can have around 10k in the bank by the time I move) and apply for jobs before I move. Say things work out for my friends and I and we are able to find jobs in the 40k range could we pull off living in the city (I really want to live in the city rather than outside the city). I figure if I land a job I could afford to pay 800-1000 a month. I really don't care about finding the nicest place since I really wouldnt plan on being at home much anyway.

Is it possible to find a place in that price range, what neighborhoods should I be looking into.

Thanks again, if I can pull this off life would be awesome!
Well if you think you can do it, go for it, but you may be in for a reality check. I'm sure those position's are highly competitive in this economy, and they may be looking at their own alumni first.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 AM

14 posts, read 42,421 times
Default OK here is the skinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsxDcSquall View Post
I know its a bit of a risk but I need to move somewhere to get a job so I figure I might as well move somewhere I really want to go.

My plan is to just work and save as much money as I can for the next few months and hopefully move somewhere by about August-September of 2010. I would start applying to jobs a few months before I moved out there so hopefully I could have some interviews lined up when I got out there (or possibly a job offer if I can arrange some kind of telephone interview).

I am really looking more for advice on the availability of jobs in the science fields, (academic research positions or biotechnology jobs) and where I should be looking to live in the city based on the salary of myself and my roommates.

You can do this - go to CL & start looking for jobs & places to live

you will love it - craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,487 times
I'm kinda in the same position, except I'm already here. I have a place in the TenderNob that's affordable for me, and I'm now looking for a job. Anything I can get is good enough for me right now, haha. I have 5-6 months of rent saved up, and my mother and grandfather are willing to help me out if I need it. I say go for it too, man. This place is amazing and it's worth a shot. You can always go home if it doesn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland