Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 36,041 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Myself, husband and two kids currently live in San ramon. We are getting ready to buy finally but cannot afford a house here. Although we love San Ramon, we really don't want a condo!

We have looked around at Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, etc. and all are a bit too pricey for us.

We are now thinking about Brentwood. However, my husband works in Richmond and I know the commute on 4 is miserable (we used to live in Antioch).

I have a couple of questions. First, is there anyway to get to Richmond without taking HWY 4? My husband said he thinks he can take the Antioch bridge and hit 80 towards Richmond from there. Does anyone know if that would work? If so, is there traffic going that way? We are more worried about evening commute than mornings because he leaves at 4:45am so there's not alot of traffic at that time anyway.

Also, if you live in Brentwood, have you had trouble with alot of Section 8 renters in the new neighborhoods? We had that problem in Antioch and it was annoying because one or two bad seeds can really bring a property value down. I know Antioch has gone way downhill since we left 4 years ago and I am wondering if the same has happened to Brentwood.

And lastly, how are the schools in Brentwood? Schools are excellent here and I hate to move somewhere where the schools are lacking, especially since one of my kiddos has special needs.

Thanks!
Becky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 PM

anyone?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
I would not recommend taking the Antioch bridge.. it would add 60 miles and $8 in tolls per day. Just take Hwy 4 to the end and merge onto San Pablo Ave. 4 is miserable until you get to Concord but smooth sailing after that.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanks!

If 4 is the only way, I don't think we'll do it. He would be OK in the morning because he leaves home at 4:30 am but evenings would be hellish!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM

4 isn't the only way but it would be the only acceptable way. 12 is considerably overburdened and dangerous to boot, locals call it "Blood Alley." I'd sooner commute from Davis than drive on 4 or 12 every day.

Mini-rant: all over the Bay Area, the north-south freeways are pretty decent but the options for going east-west SUCK.

Last edited by sonarrat; 12-16-2008 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Thank you!

Now we're thinking maybe Livermore. It's not as pricey as I thought, if we buy something older. But I'm not sure about the school district. Anyone know? It sucks to leave a great school district for one not as great.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 PM

AFAIK Livermore schools are excellent, many people who work in Stockton will pay more to live there for the schools.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
If your husband works in Richmond and you want great schools, how about Orinda? Those schools are among the very best in the whole state.

He wouldnt even have to take a freeway. Just drive up San Pablo Dam Road and he's there.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If your husband works in Richmond and you want great schools, how about Orinda? Those schools are among the very best in the whole state.

He wouldnt even have to take a freeway. Just drive up San Pablo Dam Road and he's there.
I would but it's WAY expensive out there!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,548 times
your area has several [url=http://www.greatschools.org] great schools, new house tends to have small yard now, and you can just enjoy public yard outside at free.
Sometimes schools are good not because schools themselves but the students, when they are come from well educated families the schools become better; when they come from those of special skills - like handyman who needs skills not from school and believe education is not that important - they may be right, the school score are not very high. An example is mission San Joe high who raised up after Chinese/India engineers are moved in.
Some schools may not have very high scores but special relations with people of influence, and students may have 'back door' to univ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland