Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 05:40 PM

233 posts, read 827,306 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place in East Bay near my work place. Right now, it seems like Berkeley and Oakland are my top choices. But what are the safe parts of Oakland?

I am a single woman, so safety is very important to me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
I think we need more info. Are you going to be driving? Or are you taking BART and then a bus to get home and have to walk three or four blocks to get there? Are you keeping late hours on a regular basis?

Since I keep regular hours and own my own car I feel safe even though I live in a marginal area -- the places and the people that cause problems around me are around the bus stops and the main streets. Since I don't go there, I feel fine. And there's nothing down my street to bring trouble there.

But if I had to take a bus -- I wouldn't be fine. And I seem to remember you don't have a car.

But in answer to your question, the Oakland Hills are pretty safe. Mills College area isn't the Hills, and is a little sketchier. There are parts that are seedier than others. It's the kind of area that I wouldn't want to have to walk home in the dark from the bus stop. But the kind of area that if I had a car I would drive home and feel confident that I could unload my car and get into my home with no problem.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Craigslist neighborhood divisions are very approximate. Hills/Mills could cover half the city, so if you aren't familiar with the neighborhood, do everything you can to get a feel for the neighborhood and check it out. Millsmont is pretty good. Laurel is cool, but don't live right on MacArthur.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 AM

33 posts, read 203,856 times
sweety no where on this earth is completly safe. Get over it. People get murdered, raped,kidnapped everywhere. Now true there are places where it happens more than others. Now Download Google Earth (its free, fast, and safe) and look up these areas in Oaklan which are breath taking. Sea View, redwood, sunnyhills, trestle Glen rd, Hampton rd, and you'll find others along the way

Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,335 times
To the OP I wouldn't just look at pictures and think that I would be safe and wouldn't suggest that you or anyone should get over crime. You need to spend time in both areas to know what is best for you. Provide more info on who you are and the proximity of your job so that others can better assist you.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 30,969 times
Plan on visiting Oakland. Any kool, safe bar districts around there?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,876 times
old oakland,uptown,rockridge/college ave,piedmont ave,grand/lakeshore, all are safe and have bars but kool is in the eye of the beholder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland