Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,033,596 times

Advertisements

Pexiegato, with a 2 1/2 year old you would have to put your child in pre-school if you are going to work. I don't believe there is anything free for kids that small. It might be good for you to make the move to Oakland while your child is small and giving yourself enough time to research Oakland public schools and surrounding areas. But for me as a parent Oakland doesn't have good choices for public school. But you don't have to move too far to find a good one. You'll have a good 3 years to look at everything and make the best decision for your family.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 PM

64 posts, read 313,757 times
Default Good pictures...still

The negative perception, and reputation of Oakland is not good.
That is the hardest thing to shake. The negative press has been
a part of Oakland for so long that even those born and raised there
believe it. Oakland natives have the worst things to say about their
hometown, and the people that live there. I personally think that
Oakland is a beautiful city with a lot to offer, but the crime is just
shameful. That must be dealt with before the real Oakland can
shine through. As those pictures suggest, Oakland looks nicer
than it is often depicted.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
PeixeGato, every where has nice areas and bad areas true (even Oakland as I have mentioned in other responses). But overall Oakland needs help otherwise just like Piedmont the nicer areas will abandone the city. I get your point that people are passionate about their cities and people should be just as passionate to fixing the problems. Also, I've never professed my love for San Rafael.

You asked about public schools and I would strongly recommend against the public school system in Oakland. What ages are your kids there are some really good private schools. You might want to check out Alameda as they have wonderful public schools and is close to Oakland.
Remember, there are more than 200 schools in Oakland...

Here are a couple of very good Oakland Public Elementary Schools

Hillcrest Elementary School
30 Marguerite Drive
Oakland, CA 94618

Montclair Elementary School
1757 Mountain Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94611

Thornhill Elementary School
5880 Thornhill Drive
Oakland, CA 94611

Chabot Elementary School
6686 Chabot Road
Oakland, CA 94618

Piedmont CA is a city inside of the City of Oakland... one cannot reach Piedmont without going through Oakland. Piedmont has it's own police force and is known for low crime and top schools.

Piedmont Public schools all score over 80% in reading and math.

Millenium High scores 100% in reading and 88% in math.

Piedmont High scores 98% in reading and 97% in math.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:34 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,881,383 times
I loved Peidmont. You were high enough in the hills to be able to see the bay and in several places all three bridges. It didn't strike me as the most diverse place in the bay area, but seemed like a great place to live.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Ultrarunner, yes there are over 200 schools in Oakland. The ones in the good parts the cost of living is expensive. I believe Pexiegato was looking at reducing his/her costs. I also suggested that he/she go ahead and move there and research the schools and lifestyle Oakland has to offer while her child is still small to see if Oakland was a good fit for his/her family. I would recommend Piedmont to anyone but the cost of living is too expensive and they don't have too many rentals and are not very diverse. But I am sure the poster appreciates the schools you identified as part of his/her research.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Melody74, thank you!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,607,365 times
I'll just add. I'm from East Oakland. Born and Raised! I've never been touched by crime. Nor am I in a gang. So you can keep the "all crime is in East Oakland" nonsense to yourself. It sounds just as silly as the "nothing good is in Oakland" nonsense. East Oakland is full of beautiful neighborhoods.

Thank you! ;-)

ETA: I know the original poster was attempting to show some positives in Oakland, but he/she threw a good third of the city under the bus. If you haven't seen my part of East Oakland, I'd be happy to show you around. There's enough good here for all of us! ;-)

Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,508 times
Wat areas are the nice homes ie. intersections thank you

Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
zip code 94605 is East Oakland...

Golf Links and Sequoyah

Malcolm and Ettrick

Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,050,375 times
Also 94602, Dimond/Laurel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland