Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 79,030 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Walnut Creek next weekend to look at homes for rent. If I can't find anything I like, I plan on getting an apartment on a short-term lease. I'm spoiled for choice and I certainly won't have enough time to look at them all; I've been looking at apartmentratings.com for reviews, but not every complex is reviewed and most of the reviews are old. I believe the negative reviews on the site, but the positive one generally sound like they're coming from the owners/managers.

So, if you can tell me what apartment complexes that I absolutely must see (or not see), I'd really appreciate it Ideally, I'm looking for a 2 bedroom with a W/D in the apartment, but that's not an necessity.

Also, do you think that the local PD would entertain me if I walked in and asked for a crime report on a particular apartment complex/area? Most areas of WC seem good, but I want to avoid the bad areas of Concord.

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers,
Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Walnut Creek doesn't have a big issue with crime other than car theft. So it is pretty safe and is not Concord.

A lot of the apartment complexes have been renovated and or are new. Renting isn't for everyone and most people that write reviews really had bad experiences and or were pissed off at the landlord/owner.

What is your price range and will you be commuting to SF or Oakland for work? The downtown area is really good and convient for BART. The downside is that there is no carpool into the city. If you don't live close to the Bart statation you can always take a shuttle which is free.

Need more information as to what you are looking for in Walnut Creek to better help you.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 79,030 times
Hi bayarea-girl,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for a short-term (3-6 month) lease < $2000 (around $1600 would be better). Our house is for sale in Santa Fe right now - if it doesn't sell, the closer to $1600 the better. I've got quite a generous relocation package, but it won't cover a mortgage and a rental payment for very long.

I'll actually be working about half way between WC and Concord just off of Ygnacio Valley Road (not sure of the spelling). We have 3 pets, so we'll only be staying in an apartment long enough until we found a nice house to rent or take the plunge and buy out there.

My preference would be to live close to WC downtown because my wife and I absolutely love it there. We're moving there with our 8-month old, so somewhere that's not in the ghetto is about the only requirement :-)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM

18 posts, read 70,303 times
My family is currently renting a small house in Walnut Creek near the Pleasant Hill bart station. The street is cute with lots of families with very young children all under 6 years old. We also have an 8 month old. Unfortunately, one of our cars which we keep parked outside our house has been broken into 2X since we moved here 9 months ago.

Coming from Los Angeles, most nice areas have private security, neighborhood watch, and/ or gated communities. This area for whatever reason does not. If I were you, I would make sure that you live in a building with gated/security entrace and covered/gated parking. I think the crime in this area stinks and I dont feel very safe in this part of Walnut Creek.

When our lease is up, we are going to move to Lamorinda or Alamo. Hopefully the crime will not be as bad, but from my understanding, even wealthy areas have bad problems with crime in the bay area.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM

197 posts, read 667,495 times
Concord has a lot of different neighborhoods so it really varies. I would stay away from Monument Blvd in Concord. Concord near the city of Clayton is a bit nicer than other parts but it is farther from BART. Your rent will be cheaper in Concor than WC.

Walnut Creek is nice pretty much everywhere except I'd stay away from the Creekside area of Walnut Creek. I remember driving to look at a condo (converted apartment) there a couple years ago - I couldn't believe it was in Walnut Creek. It's joked by locals as the "ghetto" of Walnut Creek. Didn't even know such a thing existed lol This is primarily an apartment area though. Otherwise, I think you can't go wrong with Walnut Creek. If I had to choose, I'd take WC. Or if you can afford it, maybe consider Lamorinda like the other poster said - Moraga would have the most apartments of the 3.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Rents are coming down in Walnut Creek. I would avoid Concord altogether. The Creekside area has more apartments and for the short term would give you what you need (if it is for 6 months) and is pretty safe (no shootings, stabbings, violent crime, etc). Not all apartments in that area is bad. There are a lot to choose from in that area so they make it very competitive with their rates (which is better for you).

The good rentals are running about $1700 a month in WC. If the complex is not gated like the poster above mentioned then I wouldn't rent it because WC has a problem with theft. You can find a few places in the downtown with your budget I think one is called the Boulder Apartments which is they are always having rental specials but think they want you to sign up for 1 year to 18 months to give you a deal. The other deals you might get would be closer to the Pleasant Hill border.

You really can't go wrong with Walnut Creek. But if you sign a short term lease and then move to the city it might work out better for you because I think the rentals will have more vacancies in the coming months.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,394 times
Default Apartments to look at

-Ashford Court, and a number of other nice ones on Oak road
-Bancroft village
-Archstone

Stay away from Creekside

The only problem with crime in WC is car vandalism and petty theft. Every other crime is almost non-existent. WC has a nice nightlife, restaurants and shopping. Crime is also non-existent in Lamorinda. I do not know who you have been talking to about Lamorinda, but nothing ever happens there. Stay out of Concord unless it is a nice neighborhood.

Hope that helps

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 54,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
Concord has a lot of different neighborhoods so it really varies. I would stay away from Monument Blvd in Concord. Concord near the city of Clayton is a bit nicer than other parts but it is farther from BART. Your rent will be cheaper in Concor than WC.
I'd also stay away from Detroit Avenue, Meadow Lane, Laguna Street, Ellis Street, & William Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
Walnut Creek is nice pretty much everywhere except I'd stay away from the Creekside area of Walnut Creek.
I agree with this statement .

Since you have a few pets and a few kids, I'd probably look at condos or townhomes to rent as they may offer more space than an apartment.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 PM

47 posts, read 207,126 times
Default Seriouslly?!

Ok as far as CRIME goes in Walnut Creek you are as SAFE as you are going to get just about anywhere. I have no clue what these people are talking about when they say that they "don't feel safe walking in the park" Really?!?! :-)
It is a great community...not saying it is crime free because nowhere is. You really can't go wrong with Wally World.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwit54 View Post
Ok as far as CRIME goes in Walnut Creek you are as SAFE as you are going to get just about anywhere. I have no clue what these people are talking about when they say that they "don't feel safe walking in the park" Really?!?! :-)
It is a great community...not saying it is crime free because nowhere is. You really can't go wrong with Wally World.
If people don't feel safe in Walnut creek then they wont feel safe anywhere. I can't even believe people are saying there are area's to avoid in Walnut Creek. I can't and don't believe it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland