Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 80,152 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom in the San Francisco Bay area and am considering moving to the Rocklin/Roseville area due majorly to the fact that I am more likely able to purchase a condo there(I'm a teacher). I was born and raised here and am having a really difficult time thinking of living any where else(I'm filipino american). Although, I like the Roseville area, "its just not the bay area". I do have a friend(who's caucasian) living in Rocklin for about 3 years(with her husband and 2 kids, also from the bay area) and she LOVES it there. So naturally she is encouraging me to move there. Of course, I have to do whats best for my son(12) and I, even if it means relocating. And with my son starting junior high, I cant be moving around if I dont like the decision i make. Ultimately the question is move to millbrae for the school district and rent (hopefully not forever, but this is the bay area) or move to the Roseville area? Any advise, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Personally I hate Sacramento. Everybody who lives in Sacramento comes to the Bay Area for things to do. Unless going skiing or something. There is really no comparison between the two area's. Thats just one opinion though. But just drive up there and you'll feel like you've just step foot in Kansas.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Personally I hate Sacramento. Everybody who lives in Sacramento comes to the Bay Area for things to do. Unless going skiing or something. There is really no comparison between the two area's. Thats just one opinion though. But just drive up there and you'll feel like you've just step foot in Kansas.
I hate to offend anyone there, but I agree... Sacramento is kind of a pit, aside from a few expensive neighborhoods. I lived in Stockton for 3 years, which is even worse, but fairly similar - and I hated it!! The minute I graduated from UOP, I was already making plans to come back to SF. I'm sorry, but it just lacks everything that makes the Bay Area great... scenery/ocean, culture, sports, cool weather (Central Valley summers are brutal!), entertainment, diversity, etc. Not to say Sacramento doesn't have any of that stuff, but it's just not like the Bay Area.

However... the cost-of-living is much more reasonable in Sac, which would be great for a single mother. And I think any place can be "do-able", if you have the right attitude, enjoyable job, hobbies, friends, etc. This is totally cliche, but life is what you make of it - right? It's also a great location, just 2 hours from snow & San Francisco, and has a strong Asian community. There are also some nice areas outside the city, like Folsom, El Dorado Hills & Rocklin (all kinda pricey, though). Bottom line, I guess you need to weigh the good & bad of each... or a "cost-benefit analysis", as my father always suggests. Good luck in whatever happens!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM

P.S. Have you looked at condos in Daly City & South San Francisco? Brisbane is also a really cute town, with fairly "low" real-estate prices... for the Bay Area, they're pretty reasonable! I've considered buying in that area, especially now that I'm working in southeast SF.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
ROLFMAO...Kansas...right..that is why everyone from the bay area moved up to the area..

I wished more people thought like City Boy at times

P.S. I went to UOP and I can honestly tell you you can't possiby understand Sacramento by passing through on the way to Tahoe or Reno. At SOME point, being able to live within your means and have some sort of life outweighs the expense of being house poor and being able to have some legacy. Anyway, you have to do what is right for your family. I wouldn't be frightened away by some people that are truly ignorant of the area.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
ROLFMAO...Kansas...right..that is why everyone from the bay area moved up to the area..

I wished more people thought like City Boy at times

P.S. I went to UOP and I can honestly tell you you can't possiby understand Sacramento by passing through on the way to Tahoe or Reno. At SOME point, being able to live within your means and have some sort of life outweighs the expense of being house poor and being able to have some legacy. Anyway, you have to do what is right for your family. I wouldn't be frightened away by some people that are truly ignorant of the area.
I've done more than drive through Sacramento, and while I'm no expert on it, I am not ignorant either! I did say there were good points, but she was comparing it to the Bay Area... just gave my 2 cents, and like I said, I really didn't want to offend anyone. Lots of posters slam San Francisco on here, and you don't see me calling them names - everyone is entitled to an opinion, after all. Though admittedly, I should have said "I think Sacramento is blah-blah", since many people do like it there.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,047 times
stay

.................................................. ...............

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
I grew up in Roseville. I am not slamming you and I am certainly not offended by any means. But we have a lot of people that moved up to the area that have no flippen clue where Roseville is other than to drive through it on the way to the mountains.

No, the valley isn't the Bay Area. I don't know any place in the world that is San Francisco, but that is why the housing costs are so outrageous. Supply vs demand. There are trade offs and I think that the original poster would have a very nice life if she decided to move.

With that said, it isn't for everyone. She, as an individual, is the only one that knows whether she would like it, hence why she is on this forum asking the question as to whether she should even try it.

OP, I would go visit your friends for a week or so and see if you like it.

I can tell you it will probably take a few visits to really find out if you like it or not.

I moved from my birth place (Roseville) to Fort Worth, Texas. It was an adjustment and I am really enjoying where I am at now. I look at it as a great adventure. One of the reasons we moved was my husband got a promotion and he was traveling all over the country and being on the west coast was becoming a problem with his traveling schedule.

There is a huge cost of living difference here which is basically what the poster would be doing moving from SF to the valley. We are looking at a type of home that we only dreamed about being able to afford. No, it isn't SF or even California, but the trade offs work for us.

OP, I hope that you find what you are looking for for you and your son. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:17 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
I sure like visiting the Bay Area but I wouldn't want to live there. It feels like your trapped in a fish bowl of humanity. So crowded. No parking anywhere. Jam-packed freeways with thousands of pissed-off morons in BMW's doing 80 mph 6 inches off your back bumper. You sure can see why the freeways there have tire skid marks ON THE WALLS next to the lanes. You just want to escape and get out of there in one piece.

Us Sacramento Valley folks just like the slower pace of "Kansas" We can drive our wobble-wheel chicken trucks 40 mph again in the fast lane.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM

87 posts, read 642,991 times
Hey NorCalGirl, have you looked into Fairfield, Vacaville or Vallejo. Both of these locations are closer to the bay area and have reasonable housing. AH, and there's alot a lot of Philipinos in these areas especially in Vallejo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland