Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Don't forget about the Juneteenth Festival...
yeah there used to be a lot of those celebrations that sfnative speaks of before gentrification & the housing market forced alot of artists, brown & black people and poor folks to move. there were thriving middle class black neighborhoods (ie fillmore & others) for decades. they are pretty much non-existent now. the overall culture of SF has changed. now it's all about money and the unique neighborhood vibes are all but eradicated irregardless of what neighborhood you're referring to - lower pac heights, fillmore, noe valley, richmond, sunset, haight, cole valley etc etc etc. of course, just my opinion. oh well.

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 01-16-2009 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNATIVE View Post
If the folsom street fair aint a gay event, then chow mein is irish food.
It might attract the gay community, but the fact remains that it is NOT billed as a "gay event" - as per the website, it is a "leather festival" which people of all orientations attend. My straight roommate went last year with her straight male friend, and they had a blast. http://folsomstreetfair.org/

Quote:
But I cant argue with most of what u said. Gays are not a minority group to me, there like a club or union, there bonded together as gays by their action. They are a very influential and prominant group in SF.
Yup, and that's one thing I love most about SF.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Yawn. People make this complaint about every popular city. Would you rather it be dangerous like Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNATIVE View Post
San Francisco is one of the most beatiful cities on the west coast if not the world. Called me biased. I am one of few born and bred san franciscans. I grew up in the ingleside neighborhood, not district, and have gone to school downtown all my life, worked in HP, Potrero Hill, produce districts, all that.

The faces of the this city continue to change and the SF of today is hardly the SF of what once was. Although fighting the change is useless the sad thing about the current gentrification is that it will erase completely what was there before it, the memory of the places only engraved in certain peoples minds.

SF is advertised as this very liberal city, tolerant of homosexual lifestyles, weed smoke, "diversity". A progressive place to be. Although we are progressing, I dont know where the hell were going.

People migrate to certain places for various reasons. Sometimes its the belief that there politcal ideology belongs in a certain reason.

People now migrate here if you have money. The people that are moving into this city are primarily white and make amazing money, so you have nancy and greg from conneticut moving into a latino neighborhood in the city. Soon there a tons of nancy and gregs and it drives high rents in, poor people out, and erases the neighborhood that once was, or cuts it down so small that it turns into a dense ghetto of section 8 housing.

The Truth:
This may be one of the most geographically beatiful places on earth
Money runs this City
Most people that move into the City have a very poor knowledge of it and its neighborhoods.
The City is very segregated, dont be fooled for a minute.
The affulence and influence of homosexuals in this city, the castro has never been a poor section, has made them more important to the city than the middle/working class and african americans
The sense of real community in neighborhoods is gone in all white neighborhoods, it is replaced with capitalism and fancy cars and hand bags

Come visit, stay a while, live a couple years, but your always gonna be visiting. Please stop making it impossible to live in my hometown outside next or in the projects and go to Clevland. They need you and they have an Ikea

Old 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM

19 posts, read 81,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Yawn. People make this complaint about every popular city. Would you rather it be dangerous like Detroit?

Sir, first of all cover your mouth when you yawn. Thanks. We all appreciate it.
To answer no. My dad is from 5 mile went to Wayne State, been there plenty of times. Love the wings. But not in a million years.
But if youve ever seen the face of a yuppie when you tell them theres no red wine left, well lets just say, go hug your kids

Old 01-17-2009, 01:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Yawn? If you're not interested then please by all means don't comment on here. But you can hardly try and deny that you're a troll when you appear on any local thread I've read recently having negative things to say in regards to Oakland or now SF. I realize there might not be anything better for you to do in Arkansas, but no one here cares for your opinions in the slightest. You're being nothing more than an obnoxious TROLL!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
I agree with you. Pretending is silly as it shows a lack of roots. The vacation destroys the fabric of communites as people come and go as they please. The vacationers are just a bunch of soul searching vagabonds, usually looking to attach a SF, NY, or LA to their list of "hometowns". But when it comes time to settle down and have a few bambinos, they are the first ones out of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
So true. So many people just view living in SF as an extended vacation, and once they inevitably run out of money, they go back to work wherever they were before. My question is, why pretend? I got a taste of it when my apartment had a fire. I stayed in an inlaw apartment in the Sunset on a temporary basis. Quite to the contrary of what I usually hear, the sense I had was that I was too far away from everything. None of the stores I liked to go to were represented in SF, it took too long to get anywhere, and the people I saw walking around weren't the type I would have liked to talk to. I was orders of magnitude more comfortable in "sleepy" South San Francisco, and even more so now living in San Jose.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:38 PM

oh Please. Some people around here need to start keeping it real instead of being rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yawn? If you're not interested then please by all means don't comment on here. But you can hardly try and deny that you're a troll when you appear on any local thread I've read recently having negative things to say in regards to Oakland or now SF. I realize there might not be anything better for you to do in Arkansas, but no one here cares for your opinions in the slightest. You're being nothing more than an obnoxious TROLL!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
oh Please. Some people around here need to start keeping it real instead of being rude.
I agree. So stop giving your 2 cents that no one on here cares to read that involves nothing besides negativity in regards to the Bay Area. That's rude. So take your own advice, and "keep it real" by speaking on something you actually know anything about.

Many SF natives are not pleased with the demographic swing caused by gentrification. We don't care for crime, but the gentrification hasn't improved that in the slightest; in fact the crime has gone back up since this trend has begun. So now we have all the crime we ever had, but we're losing our city's identity and the character that makes it unique, and special. SF has become a playground for the obnoxious and wealthy, and I miss the vibe it had in the 90's and before, when it wasn't overrun with yuppie jerks who care about nothing other than money and their work, and hipsters who turn interesting neighborhoods like the Mission trendy and lame.

So please, go annoy people in Arkansas threads with your narrow, paranoid, negative views, because here your opinion is moot.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 AM

People say that about gentrification in every city. It's become a cliche by now.

And anyway, are you following me around on every thread now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I agree. So stop giving your 2 cents that no one on here cares to read that involves nothing besides negativity in regards to the Bay Area. That's rude. So take your own advice, and "keep it real" by speaking on something you actually know anything about.

Many SF natives are not pleased with the demographic swing caused by gentrification. We don't care for crime, but the gentrification hasn't improved that in the slightest; in fact the crime has gone back up since this trend has begun. So now we have all the crime we ever had, but we're losing our city's identity and the character that makes it unique, and special. SF has become a playground for the obnoxious and wealthy, and I miss the vibe it had in the 90's and before, when it wasn't overrun with yuppie jerks who care about nothing other than money and their work, and hipsters who turn interesting neighborhoods like the Mission trendy and lame.

So please, go annoy people in Arkansas threads with your narrow, paranoid, negative views, because here your opinion is moot.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
People say that about gentrification in every city. It's become a cliche by now.

And anyway, are you following me around on every thread now?
Well, let's think about this. I'm from the Bay Area, and you're seeing me in San Francisco threads. I know this might be tough for you to comprehend, but this would be the first place I would be looking on CD, being that I'm a local. It has nothing to do with following you around; you really shouldn't be here in the first place, seeing as you know nothing accurate about the Bay and you aren't here to learn anything. You're just here to irritate people. You're more like a persistent mosquito that is buzzing around my house, and every time I look outside, you're there in my face. Don't like me responding to your posts? Then don't leave ignorant posts on the threads that don't concern you but do concern me. Its simple, really. Even for you.

As for the gentrification "cliche," it doesn't matter to me or anyone else here who shares the same opinion if YOU'RE tired of hearing it. It's reality for us, and we don't like it. This is a forum for us to express that disdain. No one seems to have any idea why you're here. And just because it's been said before in many cities, doesn't change the fact that its happening and that we're unhappy about it, so why are you even chiming in? What is your purpose? You're not contributing anything, you don't live here, and you don't plan on it, so what exactly is your deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland