Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

I live here in the Bay Area. Oakland is definitely not on my favorites list and there's plenty of parts you don't want to be in. But to paint a generality like the op did is just plain ignorant. There are plenty of places in Oakland that are quite nice that I would consider living in.
How truthfull would it be if I said that in Baton Rouge La it has nothing but dumb southern inbreds? Both are very unfair and untrue statements.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 AM

100 posts, read 280,925 times
First of all, I was born in Oakland and went to school there for six years. Yes, Oakland did have 148 homicides in 2006, a very high total for a city of just over 400,000 people. But it's a city just like any other; the vast majority of violent crime occurs in some very particular parts of town that, if you saw them, it would immediately occur that this is not a place you'd want to be after sundown. There are the Acorn Projects in West Oakland, true but no one ever seems to mention nice sections like Montclair and Rockridge. Use the same common sense in Oakland that you would in any other large city, and nothing should happen.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
"Oakland! It's a Riot!" Catchy slogan, huh? I'm going to let the chamber of commerce have this one.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I'm glad someone else sees the truth, bayareagirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Lulu101, is telling the truth. Oakland has many problems. Many areas are nice and are really great during the day. Many people on this forum try to convince others that the place is so safe. Protests happen all the time in SF but you don't hear about riots.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Why do you care what happens in Oakland? You live in Arkansas, right? I think you are watching too much O'Reilly who enjoys focusing on the most minute incident to exploit it for his constant rag on the Bay Area.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Redwood lvr hit it right on the head. You'll find what you're looking for, whether it be Oakland or Mayberry. If you set out to find a certain "quality" or lack there of, you'll definately find it.

Nobody has ever said Oakland had no problems. What many have said that the broad brush of accusations constantly painted on Oakland is unfair.

Can Oakland be dangerous? Yes.
Are there many parts of Oakland that are just like anywhere else? Yes.

Can Omaha, Des Moines, Boston, etc, be dangerous. You bet, especially if you're looking for it.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post

OH come on, most of the people arrested in the riots are not even from Oakland.

People from other towns think they can show up and break stuff with no repercussions, Oakland already has that bad rep so they think they can just tear it up and no one will care.

Yes, I am avoiding the downtown at the moment but that is because I have small children and don't want them witnessing the chaos and upset people throwing tantrums.

Seeing as though you are from Hope Ark I would think that some of that Clinton liberalism would have worn off on you. A man from Hope woudln't diss Oakland.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
It's not a dis--it's reality. Look at bayareagirl's post. She agrees with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Seeing as though you are from Hope Ark I would think that some of that Clinton liberalism would have worn off on you. A man from Hope woudln't diss Oakland.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Lulu101, is telling the truth.
Actually Lulu is trolling. Nothing more.

Quote:
Many people on this forum try to convince others that the place is so safe.
I dont recall anyone disputing the fact that Oakland has crime. But the entire city? nope. not even close.

Quote:
Protests happen all the time in SF but you don't hear about riots.
Because theyre all talk.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Lulu is a troll. This whole post is bait. Bay Area Girl is also a troll. They are both obsessed with the negativity that happens in Oakland like Oakland is the only city with crime. I live in "uptown" which is only a few blocks from where all that "Rioting" took place. The media blew it up as usual. There was hardly any damage and most of those causing trouble were not from Oakland. This post should be deleted it's pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland