Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
I think it's much easier to navigate the streets of san francisco with a manual transmission actually. It's all about workin' the clutch properly. You have to hold back a little when you're just approaching the crest of the hill. And then give it the gas when it's time to move. If you're at a red light on super steep hills I sometimes employ the parking brake, although it's not recommended that you do this. It becomes somewhat of a fun, challenging game and after awhile you don't even think about it that much anymore. Hmmm....sounds like I just described the aftermath of a romantic interlude.
LOL! I agree totally! I prefer to drive my stick shift Honda up and down the hills of SF rather than our Prius...I don't like automatics at all....sigh, but I figured on our 2nd car being a hybrid, so c'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,736,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
That's really interesting. I live in a completely flat area, so I don't anything about laws set for hills, so that's good to know! What's the point though?
As Bella said, it's to prevent the cars from rolling down... there are signs in the REALLY steep neighborhoods (like Noe Valley) that read "Prevent Runaways - Curb Your Wheels" which could confuse a non-local.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 AM

197 posts, read 973,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The most trouble I ever had in SF was driving an automatic SUV with front-wheel drive, behind five other people at a steep uphill stop sign. I actually spun my wheels trying to get off the line, because all the weight leaned back onto the rears..
ah, so I wasn't the only one

Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,160,841 times
I drive a pickup so the weight is all at the front. I've gotten stuck a couple of times going uphill after the first light rain following a long period of dry. It brings up just enough oil on the road that I didn't have enough traction to get up the hill. Just sat there spinning the drive wheel.

It'll sometimes also happen when I get the drive wheel on the cable car tracks. Those tracks get real slippery when they're wet. I've seen quite a few fender benders from people driving too close to the car ahead of them then try to stop while on the metal only to slide into them.

Since it's a stick with a foot parking break, putting on the parking break would require a third foot. I prefer to drive extra slow coming up to the stop sign so I don't have to stop until I actually reach it. I get my front tires on the flatter cross street so I don't have to do fancy footwork. Using this method I usually roll back less than people with automatics.

If stopping before the sign is unavoidable and there are people behind me I like to roll back a little as they are still coming up the hill. Just as a kinda heads up that I'll be rolling back a little when I start to go. Most people pick right up on it and won't try to go bumper to bumper. I really don't need the extra room but it's nice that the majority of people will give it to you.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 AM

45 posts, read 193,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
I learned how to drive in SF and we were ingrained (in driver's education) with the concept of curbing wheels. So much so that no matter where I am in the world, the street could be as flat as a pancake... but I'm still curbing the wheels automatically. lol.
I was just thinking this same thing while reading this thread! It's automatic for me too to curb my wheels and I always engage my emergency brake whenever I park. Friends always ask me why I do that! It's a great place to learn how to drive, for me anyway! Sure do miss those hills!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 AM

85 posts, read 294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-grown View Post
I was just thinking this same thing while reading this thread! It's automatic for me too to curb my wheels and I always engage my emergency brake whenever I park. Friends always ask me why I do that! It's a great place to learn how to drive, for me anyway! Sure do miss those hills!
If you have a stick and are at a complete stop on a steep hill, put the gas pedal to the floor and drop the clutch as quickly as possible. If you do not hit any moving or stationary object you will be fine. Wash, rinse and repeat at the next hill.

Disclaimer: Gas milage and tire wear might be above avarage. Some natives might give you a one-finger salute.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM

495 posts, read 1,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-grown View Post
I always engage the emergency brake when parking too. I do all of this without thinking. We were programmed well. hahaaa!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
LOL! I agree totally! I prefer to drive my stick shift Honda up and down the hills of SF rather than our Prius...I don't like automatics at all....sigh, but I figured on our 2nd car being a hybrid, so c'est la vie.
I have a Prius too....(((sigh)))....I know what you mean. Sometimes I pretend that I'm driving a stick. lol.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
If you have a stick and are at a complete stop on a steep hill, put the gas pedal to the floor and drop the clutch as quickly as possible. If you do not hit any moving or stationary object you will be fine. Wash, rinse and repeat at the next hill.
HA! I have driven this way in the fearless days of youth. Perhaps we all have. Funny.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
use emergency brake a lot. dont get too close to guy behind. you re guna burn up lots of brakes doin this but it is fun. i left my heart there, of course that sometimes makes it rough on others here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland