Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 73,293 times

Advertisements

I am a single female in my late 20s moving from LA to SF. I will be working in downtown, near the intersection of California and Montgomery. After reading through hundreds of threads here, it seems that most recommended places are inner sunset/Richmond, Alameda, Berkeley and Emeryville. I’ve always wanted to live in San Francisco but where I can get the true feel of the city. I currently live in Marina Del Rey with a running trail and a bike path in front and behind my apartment. I am minutes to the beach and close to restaurants in Santa Monica main street. Where can I find a similar community in SF but with short commute to where I work. I don’t like commuting; the least public transportation is preferable. I am looking for nice and quiet communities but enough action, not places where are mostly families with young children (not ready yet , hehe)

I am shooting for around $1500, but am willing to pay more if it is a really awesome place.

What is inner sunset/Richmond's commute time to downtown? I heard that Muni was slow and not reliable, is this true? Any suggestions? Is emeryville a better choice to go to for me?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Anyone can recommend a block of locations (is Judah st nice?) that are nice and quiet in inner sunset and tell me what the commute time is to downtown?

Also i have some friends in the south bay (cupertino area) so it would be ideal if i can pick a location more in the middle so that it would be convenient for me to go visit them.

Last edited by ppowl; 02-13-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM

19 posts, read 54,490 times
I don't know SF neighborhoods that well but I wanted to tell you that the distance between Cupertino and SF is not that close to one another, so you'd have to either drive to Cupertino or take public transportation to visit your friends down there. Unless of course if they come up to SF to visit you, then you can ignore my comment

Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,456 times
Public trans from the Inner Sunset is more convenient IMO because you don't have to take the bus (look up the N-Judah). Plus if you do live near to Judah then the the line is right there.

Be prepared though for it to be colder than what you are used to. I lived in Redondo Beach for a few years and then in San Fran. One cool thing is that there is also a walking/biking path by Ocean Beach that you can easily access, (again by taking the N-Judah west). I'm assuming that coming from MDR you are used to fog (the Sunset gets pretty foggy, as does the Richmond).

Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Public trans from the Inner Sunset is more convenient IMO because you don't have to take the bus (look up the N-Judah). Plus if you do live near to Judah then the the line is right there.

Be prepared though for it to be colder than what you are used to. I lived in Redondo Beach for a few years and then in San Fran. One cool thing is that there is also a walking/biking path by Ocean Beach that you can easily access, (again by taking the N-Judah west). I'm assuming that coming from MDR you are used to fog (the Sunset gets pretty foggy, as does the Richmond).
Cool, thanks. I looked up on rent.com and see that Alameda's rents are pretty decent, what would you say comparing between Alameda and inner sunset?

Last edited by ppowl; 02-13-2009 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 16,285 times
I live in the Inner Richmond and I love it here. There are 5 bus routes that go to downtown SF and they all take less than 30mins. There's a bike route to downtown also and lots of trails and lanes in Park Presidio which I go on frequently and cross the Golden Gate Bridge into the Marin Headlands and Sausalito. Golden Gate Park here is great too, lots of biking and jogging trails and get museums. There are lots of shops and restaurants in the area too.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowl View Post
Cool, thanks. I looked up on rent.com and see that Alameda's rents are pretty decent, what would you say comparing between Alameda and inner sunset?
From what I understand, Alameda is a cool place to live but it does not offer much in the way of public transportation. I think that there was a thread on this within the last week if you do a quick search.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
if you always wanted to live in SF i suggest you skip alameda and live in SF.

Inner sunset, inner richmond are both nice. If you dont like it you can always move to Alameda and the East Bay after trying out City Life. May as well try it while you are young.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:18 AM

62 posts, read 250,043 times
I agree that if you're into the idea of living in San Francisco and you're working in San Francisco, then by all means live in the city. Inner Sunset is an easy commute if you're near the N-Judah line (the MUNI web site puts it at 32 minutes door to door from 9th Avenue and Judah). In the Richmond district, you'll have to take a bus to get downtown, though there are express buses that I understand are pretty reliable and quick (though I've never taken one myself). I live in Glen Park now (easy BART commute downtown), but I almost picked Inner Sunset the last time I moved three years ago. It's a more happening neighborhood than Glen Park, for sure.

My feeling is that if you live outside the city and commute in, you'll spend most of your social time outside the city. That's fine if that's what you want, but it sounds to me like you're enamored of SF itself. Make your life in town, have an easy commute, never drive unless you want to - it's a fun way to live for at least a few years!

Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
I have visited Alameda many times. It is a wonderful, walkable, small city that is isolated from the urban ills of of Oakland, is a reasonable commute time to San Francisco, has good schools and is pretty family friendly for being so close to the urban core of the Bay Area. However, from how you have described yourself, and what you want, I don't believe it is for you. Go ahead and try for the City. You'll pay an arm and a leg in rent, but you'll find out if the cost is worth it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland