Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 PM

47 posts, read 207,105 times

Advertisements

Hi my Girlfriend and I are fairly new to the area, and with work and everything it is hard to get out and meet new people. I am sure that someone else is having this same problem. Kelley and I were thinking that we could start a thread of people in the same situation and set up some things to do for all of us new people? Maybe this next weekend? I don't know I just thought I would give it a shot. I am 28 and she is 33. I have tried meetin.org and other similar sites, but just thought I'de give this a try.
Let me now if you are interested, or if anyone has any ideas on where what to do...to start meeting some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,063,864 times
What ever your interest are why not try joining groups where you meet people like yourselfs. Also, if you are both working are you up on socializing with your co-workers?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM

47 posts, read 207,105 times
We both work, and have some acquaintances from work, but given the job, I wouldn't want to mix teh social thing and work too much. We are trying meetin.com think it is this Thursday they are having a new members event..I just thought I'de try here also...

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

19 posts, read 124,529 times
Hi Bigwit54 - I wish I could say I was already out there, then I would be (I'm 33, boyfriend 36). Hopefully we'll be in SF by late this year! Good luck out there!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM

19 posts, read 54,480 times
good luck with meetin. I was signed up there for a while but dropped out. PM me if you want more info.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:24 AM

197 posts, read 976,733 times
i know what you mean, im 24 and all my buddies are from work (e.g. conversations always somehow tend to revolve around work).

i'm up for anything fun.

btw try http://www.meetup.com/

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,939 times
Im 28 and new to the area too. I haven't found any good ways to meet people here, yet, either. Let me know what you come up with. You can catch me on yahoo if you'd like: jaylongbeard81

Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
I know your busy at work and all, but to meet people that you will truly like I think it is best to meet them while doing something you like.

My wife and I meet people by doing these actives:

Weekend pottery, art, music classes at a local college.
Join a club: Books, Math, Chess, Wine, Coffee...
Take a language class together.
Join a sports team: tennis, soccer, cycling, mountain biking, hiking...softball...etc.

That was when we didn't have our daughter, now with a child it is much easier to meet people. I think people in SF are generally warm, so much that you can usually walk through Golden Gate Park and just spark up a conversation...it works for me.

I just think those meetup sites are too random and setup, I am sure they work for some people though. Good luck.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-16-2009 at 01:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,109 times
Default wine tasting eventtt!

As Mach50 said joining a wine club could be a good way to meet new people.. If you are into wine there is a wine tasting event happening at Crushpad,SF on the 19th of Feb .. a big wine tasting event by Bottlenotes . Probably a great idea if you want to meet new people . More details you could take a look at http://www.bottlenotes.com/events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland